News Forum - Cambodia upset over Thai temple’s resemblance to Angkor Wat

Thaiger

Temples are generally known to inspire peace and tranquillity, but a new 100 million baht temple complex in Northeastern Thailand has launched a feud with Cambodia which claims the temple is copying Angkor Wat, the largest temple complex in the world and the pride of Cambodian history and culture. The cultural official in Buriram, the site of the new temple, says that the design is based on Khmer stone castles that are common historical features through the Isan area where the temple is located. Angkor Wat was built in the same style, hence the similarities. But, the official also concedes […]

The post Cambodia upset over Thai temple’s resemblance to Angkor Wat appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Reading the article, instead of "Cambodia upset over Thai temple’s resemblance to Angkor Wat" it should clearly be "Cambodians upset over Thai temple’s resemblance to Angkor Wat".

Rather different ...

They should be flattered and honoured by the copycat. 

After all, nearly all older Thai Wat infrastructure/design is influenced directly by Khmer/Vedic style, and is obviously in evident throughout north and central Thailand, and most extensive throughout much of Isaan. 

As usual the problem is down to money.

The copy cat temple could take tourists away from Ankor Wat.

Why travel to 2 countries when you can see the same in one.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Angkor Wat is not Cambodian - it is Khmer.  The Khmer empire covered all of Cambodia and it included many parts of Thailand and Myanmar and Vietnam and China. There are many ruins of Khmer temples in Thailand and I believe there are also many in all those other current day countries.

Khmer temples in Thailand (renown-travel.com)

But of course it was built to attract tourists - and so it will.  Those I know who have visited Angkor Wat were not that impressed with everything - the temple complex itself was good - but not all the other stuff.

• Like 2

How many times have we seen a Thai set up a successful noodle cart only to have someone else set one up on the same block? Or 7/11's, family marts, etc. It's what they do!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

"But, the official also concedes that the head monk who had dreamed he had been one of the original builders in the 12th century constructing Angkor Wat in a past life, and followed that vision in making this temple."

You  can't make this stuff up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

"But, the official also concedes that the head monk who had dreamed he had been one of the original builders in the 12th century constructing Angkor Wat in a past life, and followed that vision in making this temple."

You can, Thais do always 😂

41 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Those I know who have visited Angkor Wat were not that impressed with everything - the temple complex itself was good - but not all the other stuff.

I loved Angkor Wat, amazing to say the least. Plan to visit again in a few years, great side trip from Thailand. I avoid tourist knocks offs like the plague, and certainly wouldn’t head out to buriram to see one. Not when they have the real thing in the same neighborhood.  Other stuff being Siem Reap? Yeah it’s nothing to speak off, kind of dumpy really. However, it’s really just there to house and feed those going to the temple. It’s not too bad, you can eat well and there is plenty of entertainment at night. Still it’s not somewhere you go in and of itself. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, HappyExpat said:

How many times have we seen a Thai set up a successful noodle cart only to have someone else set one up on the same block? Or 7/11's, family marts, etc. It's what they do!

Yeah it's par for the course here eh!

25 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Your icon is giving me an LSD flashback...

• Haha 1

Another reason to go to Buriram area, Phanom Rung is one of the most pristine examples of a Khymer Temple anywhere in Asia. The new one will make a nice addition.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

... Those I know who have visited Angkor Wat were not that impressed with everything - the temple complex itself was good - but not all the other stuff.

Not that impressed with the Angkor Wat temple complex??? It's by far the largest temple complex in the world.  I have visited it already three times (each time for 5 days), and plan to go again as I still have not seen everything.  The temples at the outskirts of the huge park are less visited than the main ones, but often even more impressive (but of course being almost alone in such a magnificent structure adds to the experience).

35 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

I loved Angkor Wat, amazing to say the least. Plan to visit again in a few years, great side trip from Thailand. I avoid tourist knocks offs like the plague, and certainly wouldn’t head out to buriram to see one. Not when they have the real thing in the same neighborhood.  Other stuff being Siem Reap? Yeah it’s nothing to speak off, kind of dumpy really. However, it’s really just there to house and feed those going to the temple. It’s not too bad, you can eat well and there is plenty of entertainment at night. Still it’s not somewhere you go in and of itself. 

Yep - Siem Reap and all the other tourists there and all the vendors - and the trip there and back from Thailand. But both of them were in Thailand on holiday and took a side trip there. Either you lucky or they unlucky. 

7 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Not that impressed with the Angkor Wat temple complex??? It's by far the largest temple complex in the world.  I have visited it already three times (each time for 5 days), and plan to go again as I still have not seen everything.  The temples at the outskirts of the huge park are less visited than the main ones, but often even more impressive (but of course being almost alone in such a magnificent structure adds to the experience).

Also worth a visit, about 120k northeast, following the 64, is the Ringroad with Koh Ker.

Right now would be really the best time for Angkor, few to no people, I would love that!

5 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

That two thumbs up, but I agree with @AmanJIvan The Wife and I dropped by Phanom Rung once, and it is on the list for a longer stay next time we are living in Thailand.

I was in India once and went for the trip to the Taj Mahal from New Delhi. The trip there and back was 'interesting' but boring (mostly). The issues to deal with once there were also not good, especially the vendors and beggars.  Sure it was a fantastic place - the buildings were outstanding - but no way would I ever go there again.  I have not been to Angkor Wat, but from what mates said and from others on the net, it strikes me as the same as the Taj Mahal - a tourist trap.  But - maybe - one day we will go look - maybe. 

1 minute ago, Guest1 said:

Also worth a visit, about 120k northeast, following the 64, is the Ringroad with Koh Ker.

Right now would be really the best time for Angkor, few to no people, I would love that!

I will keep that in mind about when to go to visit - not sure when those others went there but maybe they went in the 'peak season'.   

29 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I will keep that in mind about when to go to visit - not sure when those others went there but maybe they went in the 'peak season'.   

Maybe a misunderstanding:

Right now = covid times = very few people!

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

I guess Adidas, Nike, Rolex and Hugo Boss aren’t to happy with Thailand copying things 

So you saying my ฿2000 amani suit is not real ! 🤔

52 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

That two thumbs up, but I agree with @AmanJIvan The Wife and I dropped by Phanom Rung once, and it is on the list for a longer stay next time we are living in Thailand.

I was in India once and went for the trip to the Taj Mahal from New Delhi. The trip there and back was 'interesting' but boring (mostly). The issues to deal with once there were also not good, especially the vendors and beggars.  Sure it was a fantastic place - the buildings were outstanding - but no way would I ever go there again.  I have not been to Angkor Wat, but from what mates said and from others on the net, it strikes me as the same as the Taj Mahal - a tourist trap.  But - maybe - one day we will go look - maybe. 

Phanom Rung is indeed very nice (visited it twice), but imagine a park with several of those same-size or larger ancient Khmer temples, and tens of other smaller ones, and then you get an impression of the Angkor Wat temple-complex.  

The Angkor Wat itself is comparable with the Taj Mahal, in a sense that it is swamped with tourist visiting and of course the souvenir and snack vendors.  But personally apart from its sheer size which is amazing, the Angkor Wat itself is by far not the most beautiful or impressive temple there.  

When visiting Siem Reap you should go at the low holiday-season time in China, otherwise the main temples would be invaded by chinese tour-buses.  If you picked a time to be there together when our China friends have their holidays, you would need to visit the main temples in the very early morning or late afternoon hours.  And visit the smaller - often even more beautiful interesting - temples during peak visitor time at the Big Ones. 

Note: I have very good memories of Siem Reap, as I stayed at an amazingly cheap and wonderful boutique hotel, decorated with Thai/Khmer artwork.  I have had the pleasure/opportunity to visit many many countries, and that hotel would be my #1 pick for value for money (23 US $ dollar for a nice aircon double-room, good copious breakfast choice included).  Very friendly, helpful staff, good and non-expensive kitchen (better than in town), and with a nice outdoor swimming pool where you could also relax and have a cocktail or beer from the bar.  The Hotel is closed now, but I do hope that it re-opens when Cambodia opens again for tourists without all the restrictions.

5 hours ago, Rain said:

They should be flattered and honoured by the copycat. 

After all, nearly all older Thai Wat infrastructure/design is influenced directly by Khmer/Vedic style, and is obviously in evident throughout north and central Thailand, and most extensive throughout much of Isaan. 

Agree, It is similar and influence by the Khmer era style, but it is not identical. No one can do better identical copying than the Chinese. Probably can build in 3 days.😀

1 hour ago, AmanJIvan said:

Another reason to go to Buriram area, Phanom Rung is one of the most pristine examples of a Khymer Temple anywhere in Asia. The new one will make a nice addition.

Good, positive comment there - this is now on my 'must visit' list.  And your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, AmanJIvan and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1