Despite a better performance in first quarter, Thailand’s GDP may not impress in second

Thaiger

Despite performing better than predicted in the first quarter, Thailand’s gross domestic product may not be as impressive in the second quarter. As the first quarter saw a contraction of 2.6% year on year, analysts say the contraction was better than predicted. Now, an Oxford Economics report says the recent third wave in Covid-19 may prevent the GDP from seeing a smaller contraction in the second quarter. The report predicts that Thailand’s GDP will only grow by 2.8% this year as the third wave of the virus has seen more than 2/3 of total infections in the Kingdom since the […]

The post Despite a better performance in first quarter, Thailand’s GDP may not impress in second appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

At the risk of my Thai governance cynicism, of late, becoming tedious and having no detailed or rational explanation for my down-beat view, I still want to get off my chest my forecast that the GDP will not merely MAY not impress, but will DEFINITELY not impress, this quarter. My gut feeling and nothing more.

The truth is, having been here for going on 10 years and having, initially, fallen in love with the country - the powers-that-be included - there is now so much negativity surrounding pretty well every aspect of the current regime's performance, that my feelings towards those at Govt House are almost criminal in intent … yes, there are a couple that I could happily lynch!

The contrast between this misery-inducing lethargy and the positivity of life in my Isan village is truly remarkable; the people here simply not giving a shit regarding what happens at GH, knowing that their concern or complaining - or even their March '19 voting - makes the slightest difference. Am I wrong, do you think, to want to get this stuff off my chest? Tell me . . . I'd be interested (if not happy) to know.

If any of you have reason to be more cheerful than me, then again, please feel free to help me see a more cheery light.