News Forum - Thailand to be added to UK “red list” from Monday

Thaiger

2 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

Sandbox looking less and less attractive.

The Germans won't come as Simon's Cabaret is shut, the Brits won't come as it's in a red zone.

What to do, what to do...

what's this simon's cabaret you are dreaming about?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Bad news for British sandboxers on Phuket or elsewhere,

If you want to travel on Holiday to Thailand, roll the dice and take your chances.

Thailand was on its own red (high risk) list from day one of the Phuket Sandbox. Strange that Thailand has now been removed off its DDC list. Must have thought too embarrassing.

I'm due to go back to the UK early November, I hope this red zone situation will have improved. I'll have had both shots of vaccine by 15th September and I don't want to asq again, the first time in bkk was bad enough 😭

43 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Good info Soidog but I don’t understand that bit. As long as you are doing your quarantines and paying the rip off ASQ prices (both ends) I can’t see why anyone would care. 

IMO Thailand is now red and with the current clueless generals chasing their own arses for answers, I think it will stay red for a very long time! 

Sorry, what I meant was personally I would have to need a very good reason to pay all that money to go to Thailand right now. I wasn’t suggesting you have to have an official reason in order to travel. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

Biggles already answered for me here - 

Keep dreaming, keep dreaming!

1 hour ago, AlexPTY said:

Imagine you go back home and have to spend another 10 days in quarantine. I can see all Brits running to Phuket airport now, screaming "Never again, mate" 

Well under the circumstances, unless they had to come on business,  they were stupid to come in the first place given what was known about the place. Guess they will run home like bleating sheep, crying to Uncle Boris.

1 hour ago, billywillyjones said:

das ist sehr gut mein herr, es sind schöne männer in damenunterwäsche

Phew! grammar school German 45 years later i think it sort of worked

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, snapdragon said:

Why is the Baht holding up so well?

I wish I could answer that but I'm sure some high flyer financier could. It's almost holding its own against the US$ and GBP.

To be honest it’s a shambles as far as the COVID situation in Thailand. They have known to get the vaccine in place and all this could have been avoided. I feel for the people in Thailand. 
Also it’s frustrating that the UK makes decisions so quickly without any prior notice for people to react to the situation. I’m currently in Koh Phangan and was due to return to the uk on the 17th of September. I have had a major motorcycle accident which has left me with a broken leg ,ACL and and broken collarbone. I’m really not sure how we are expected to go into a quarantine hotel when they cannot provide medical care. I can’t even have a shower without assistance and have to have regular medication for the pain. As it is I would have flown home as I have an empty house in the uk but there are no flights out of Koh Samui until the 1st of September. 

So now I’m stuck here with no vaccine as the UK will not assist nor will the Thai government give assistance for a vaccine because I’m a tourist. 

To say I’m disappointed in both governments would be an understatement. It’s appalling how we have these governments that we voted for and pay taxes to and yet they still don’t take care of there citizens. 

ots about time they understand they are only in government to serve the people and if that is not the case the should be ousted from governments! 

Be assured Mr Johnson will not be getting a vote from me on my return ! 

kind regards 

Chris Harris 

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Guevara said:

I wish I could answer that but I'm sure some high flyer financier could. It's almost holding its own against the US$ and GBP.

US Dollar is weak, and money is staying in Asia at the moment, cough China, cough.
Mostly a weak dollar though.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

I have had a major motorcycle accident which has left me with a broken leg ,ACL and and broken collarbone. I’m really not sure how we are expected to go into a quarantine hotel when they cannot provide medical care. I can’t even have a shower without assistance and have to have regular medication for the pain.

I cannot understand what you expect the UK government to do for you, you say your in Thailand UK

government wont help you here.

So you had a slight bump on a motorbike, cannot shower without assistance, i have been in that situation for 8 years, and take medication, but that was after a serious motorbike accident.

I dont spend my life moaning about it, just get on do the best i can.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself, chin up, onwards and upwards, glass half full, not half empty.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well under the circumstances, unless they had to come on business,  they were stupid to come in the first place given what was known about the place. Guess they will run home like bleating sheep, crying to Uncle Boris.

In the end, I truly don't think any of the locals would miss 'em.

20 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

To be honest it’s a shambles as far as the COVID situation in Thailand. They have known to get the vaccine in place and all this could have been avoided. I feel for the people in Thailand. 
Also it’s frustrating that the UK makes decisions so quickly without any prior notice for people to react to the situation. I’m currently in Koh Phangan and was due to return to the uk on the 17th of September. I have had a major motorcycle accident which has left me with a broken leg ,ACL and and broken collarbone. I’m really not sure how we are expected to go into a quarantine hotel when they cannot provide medical care. I can’t even have a shower without assistance and have to have regular medication for the pain. As it is I would have flown home as I have an empty house in the uk but there are no flights out of Koh Samui until the 1st of September. 

So now I’m stuck here with no vaccine as the UK will not assist nor will the Thai government give assistance for a vaccine because I’m a tourist. 

To say I’m disappointed in both governments would be an understatement. It’s appalling how we have these governments that we voted for and pay taxes to and yet they still don’t take care of there citizens. 

ots about time they understand they are only in government to serve the people and if that is not the case the should be ousted from governments! 

kind regards 

Chris Harris 

I certainly agree with you that the 'handling' of Covid by Prayut Chan-o cha's Government has been shambolic in every aspect.  I'm not sure how long you have been in Thailand as a tourist and why you were not vaccinated prior to leaving the UK. I have since returning from Thailand prematurely in March 2020 either rearranged or cancelled a total of 32 weeks in Thailand and intend returning only when Gov.UK feel it is safe and appropriate to do so. Thailand is struggling to get its long term expats vaccinated without having to contend with tourists. I doubt PM Boris Johnson makes snap decisions regarding his traffic light system. Like many of my friends who frequent Thailand regularly and frequently, none of us are prepared to play Russian Roulette.

1 hour ago, gummy said:

To be honest, I’m amazed anyone is travelling anywhere just for a holiday right now. I have little sympathy when I see these people at airports complaining they have had their holiday to Spain or Greece cut short as the country has been downgraded. There is a global pandemic underway. Governments have warned countries can be upgraded and downgraded at short notice. By all means take a risk if you want to; that’s your choice and prerogative to do so . But don’t complain when it turns out the wrong way and start blaming governments for your own risk taking. 

People in the U.K. regularly appear on Tv complaint how complicated the “traffic light” system is. It’s not in the least bit complicated and is said to be so as a way of justifying their piss poor decision making. 

• Like 3

Just now, Soidog said:

To be honest, I’m amazed anyone is travelling anywhere just for a holiday right now. I have little sympathy when I see these people at airports complaining they have had their holiday to Spain or Greece cut short as the country has been downgraded. There is a global pandemic underway. Governments have warned countries can be upgraded and downgraded at short notice. By all means take a risk if you want to; that’s your choice and prerogative to do so . But don’t complain when it turns out the wrong way and start blaming governments for your own risk taking. 

People in the U.K. regularly appear on Tv complaint how complicated the “traffic light” system is. It’s not in the least bit complicated and is said to be so as a way of justifying their piss poor decision making. 

I guess if you are as thick as two short planks then the traffic light system may well seem complicated.

39 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

kind regards 

Chris Harris 

Guess you were another motorcycle using tourist, who thought they were invincible, and it wouldn't happen to you. Seen loads  and loads over the years. 

Guess you will not do it again if you come back. But hey, what do we old farts know.

Hope you and your wallet get well soon.🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

kind regards
Chris Harris

' I’m really not sure how we are expected to go into a quarantine hotel when they cannot provide medical care'
'So now I’m stuck here with no vaccine as the UK will not assist nor will the Thai government give assistance for a vaccine because I’m a tourist.'

As you're a tourist I'm sure you were advised to take out adequate medical insurance, to cover an incident such as this?
Isn't Covid insurance a condition of entry now?
Why would you expect either government to assist you? It's not a consular matter, and you're not in hospital needing a consular visit are you?
What has it got to do with the Thai government?

'To say I’m disappointed in both governments would be an understatement. It’s appalling how we have these governments that we voted for and pay taxes to and yet they still don’t take care of there citizens.'

I'm sure both governments are equally disappointed in you, expecting someone to rush to look after you after a motorcycle accident. One of thing the Foreign Office advises is to be very careful about renting or driving a motorcycle in Thailand.

I worked here in Thailand, paid tax and social security. When I had a motorcycle accident fifteen years ago and was reported to the police as a fatality, not a casualty, I didn't get one penny from the government, I didn't expect to. Had to pay my own hospital bill.

I suggest you write to your local newspaper when you get home. I'm sure you'll get some sympathy there.

Yours,
Disgusted Tonbridge Wells.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisH said:

Oh dear . . . what a tale of woe for your debut post, but thanks for that!

Hello, ChrisH and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

25 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

' I’m really not sure how we are expected to go into a quarantine hotel when they cannot provide medical care'
'So now I’m stuck here with no vaccine as the UK will not assist nor will the Thai government give assistance for a vaccine because I’m a tourist.'

As you're a tourist I'm sure you were advised to take out adequate medical insurance, to cover an incident such as this?
Isn't Covid insurance a condition of entry now?
Why would you expect either government to assist you? It's not a consular matter, and you're not in hospital needing a consular visit are you?
What has it got to do with the Thai government?

'To say I’m disappointed in both governments would be an understatement. It’s appalling how we have these governments that we voted for and pay taxes to and yet they still don’t take care of there citizens.'

I'm sure both governments are equally disappointed in you, expecting someone to rush to look after you after a motorcycle accident. One of thing the Foreign Office advises is to be very careful about renting or driving a motorcycle in Thailand.

I worked here in Thailand, paid tax and social security. When I had a motorcycle accident fifteen years ago and was reported to the police as a fatality, not a casualty, I didn't get one penny from the government, I didn't expect to. Had to pay my own hospital bill.

I suggest you write to your local newspaper when you get home. I'm sure you'll get some sympathy there.

Yours,
Disgusted Tonbridge Wells.

You have hit the nail on the head. I read the article 3 times and then checked it wasn't April Fool's day. I am still trying to work out how he got out of the UK and managed to get into Thailand.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Guevara said:

You have hit the nail on the head. I read the article 3 times and then checked it wasn't April Fool's day. I am still trying to work out how he got out of the UK and managed to get into Thailand.

That's a good point.
Aren't all foreigners entering Thailand required to be Covid vaccinated as a condition of entry now?
So why would he need vaccination here?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, ChrisH said:

kind regards 

Chris Harris 

@ChrisH  I really hope you get your situation resolved and you recover soon. However I do have to disagree with the tone and sentiment of your complaint. Why would you expect either the Thai or U.K. government to sort this situation for you? Yes we pay taxes and yes we get services in return. But that doesn’t extend to worldwide repatriation in the event of a problem abroad. Why did you not take out travel insurance? I’m not sure of your age, but under 60 you can get multiple 90 day cover for as little as £65 a year. That of course is your decision to make. But please don’t expect the government to act as Nanny when it suits. Sorry but it really frustrates me when entitled Westerners expect this kind of thing. If you can’t shower without help or need help while there then pay for someone to help you. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

That's a good point.
Aren't all foreigners entering Thailand required to be Covid vaccinated as a condition of entry now?
So why would he need vaccination here?

I think his two points are not connected? His first point is to complain about the Thai government not vaccinating its people (which is fair enough given the first priority of any government is to protect its people).  His second point relates to his accident and now wanting the Thai or U.K. government to help him? …. I think ??

• Like 1

This is terrible for Thailand !! I think Australia will also follow this path making it impossible for us to travel there. Hate covid. 

• Like 1