News Forum - Jo Ferrari: his arrest, press conference and investigation details

Thaiger

Guess we will soon see if

He is likely untouchable hes paid enough up the chain

or hes not and he hasnt or hes simply to much of a liability

• Cool 1

On 8/27/2021 at 10:07 AM, JackMeOff said:

If Jo Ferrari had hundreds of millions of baht stashed away... why go through the trouble to torture and extort 2 million baht from a drug dealer?

Maybe he participates because he likes the adrenalin, thrill and buddy bonding with his police buddies and considers this as "sport". 

Some of these people have gotten away with it for so long that they truly believe they're above the law.  Hopefully this dude will be made an example of and in the most harsh, extreme way.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:34 AM, 9S_ said:

Your example is not even remotely comparable to show corruption for people in power. And it’s not even comparable to this corrupt cop!

He pled no contest to the charges, he’s paying a fine to court, he’s facing a civil lawsuit and impeachment. How is that an example of corruption? It was an accident. Do better 

I suspect you are correct on all counts.

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2021 at 1:34 PM, 9S_ said:

Your example is not even remotely comparable to show corruption for people in power. And it’s not even comparable to this corrupt cop!

He pled no contest to the charges, he’s paying a fine to court, he’s facing a civil lawsuit and impeachment. How is that an example of corruption? It was an accident. Do better 

Lordy...there's so many examples I can give you.  You ever heard of the 2008 Financial Crisis?  No individual has yet been brought to account.  Yet, millions of people lost trillions. 

Corruption in the west is different than Thailand, but exists nevertheless.  It's a little more sophisticated.  When a US congressperson makes a stock trade with insider information, it's likely you won't know about it.  Or when a billion dollar gov contract to build the southern wall is awarded to a buddy.  And so on.  Ever seen the movie American Made with Tom Cruise?  Some crazy sht went on during the Reagan years.  I'll bet some even crazier sht went on during the Trump years....but we won't know the full extent of it for some time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Lordy...there's so many examples I can give you.  You ever heard of the 2008 Financial Crisis?  No individual has yet been brought to account.  Yet, millions of people lost trillions. 

Corruption in the west is different than Thailand, but exists nevertheless.  It's a little more sophisticated.  When a US congressperson makes a stock trade with insider information, it's likely you won't know about it.  Or when a billion dollar gov contract to build the southern wall is awarded to a buddy.  And so on.  Ever seen the movie American Made with Tom Cruise?  Some crazy sht went on during the Reagan years.  I'll bet some even crazier sht went on during the Trump years....but we won't know the full extent of it for some time. 

I never said anything about there not being corruption in the west. 

Of course there’s corruption. Should the guy on the right go to jail based on what the guy on the left is talking about?

I’m only referring to the fact that the AG case was already brought to justice for an accident which is different from torture and murder that this Thai corrupt police officer did. And is is not in any way shows corruption of power. And for the record it was Barack Obama’s DOJ, Eric Holder that decided not to pursue serious jail time for anyone. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 6:51 PM, Tea said:

The funniest bit is that he wore an Isuzu hat the the arraignment. He didn't, and likely wouldn't stoop so low as to own an Isuzu.

Thought that too, with the cap in the picture, but ...

Isuzu had sports cars,  at least a concept, the Isuzu 4200R.

I'd say, to have that concept in the garage would be "ok" for every Joe

;-)

On 8/26/2021 at 8:58 PM, kerryd said:

What "rights" do you think he has ? This it THAILAND, not the (USA/UK/Australia or wherever).

In THAILAND, if a suspect confesses to the crime and cooperates with the police (i.e. by showing them what he/she did and how) they can expect to get half the sentence they would have if they'd pled not guilty and were found guilty during a trial….

I was specifically referring to the right to remain silent, the right to consult with an attorney, the the right to not give a statement. Those are all rights of the accused in Thailand.

In the US, criminal defendants will often get “discounted” sentence through the plea bargain process. The process is quite different than in Thailand, but the end result is often the same (i.e. a reduced sentence in exchange for pleading guilty).

You’re right that too many foreigners come to Thailand (or Asia in general) and expect slaps on the wrist for drug crimes… some people learn, some people get taught.

• Like 1