News Forum - Government says yes, no, yes, no, yes on Chinese ATK deal

Thaiger

If you are a casual reader of The Thaiger you are may have read that the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation made a deal to import 8.5 million antigen test kits at the urging of hospitals desperate to quickly test and treat Covid-19 patients. Perhaps you even followed up and learned about the pause on purchasing after the Rural Doctors Society blasted the GPO for going for the cheapest option despite the brand of ATK being pulled from US shelves after warnings of inaccuracy from the US FDA. Maybe you’re an avid reader and saw that a mere 2 days later Thailand’s […]

The post Government says yes, no, yes, no, yes on Chinese ATK deal appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

29 minutes ago, Thaired said:

If a test is needed to identify if you have a deadly disease, it surely can't be that bad!

Dear Lord !

So should all cancer tests be scrapped and just wait until its terminal ?

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, PhayakPeter said:

Buying more cheap Chinese shit, about time the Thai government put their nationals lives ahead of money. 

'Thai government put their nationals lives ahead of money.'    I agree, but sadly what you've said is an oxymoron.

Anyone in the Thai government is there because of their own self-interest, not because of their concern for the general public.

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

Dear Lord !

So should all cancer tests be scrapped and just wait until its terminal ?

No, but you would be quite devastated to get a false negative and die because of that... Test should obviously be reliable.

If you have time, YouTube search "Theranos Elizabeth Holmes". Very topical as her trial is on hold as she conveniently got pregnant and it's an amazing story if you don't know it yet. Talking about "tests" 😉

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob20 said:

No, but you would be quite devastated to get a false negative and die because of that... Test should obviously be reliable.

If you have time, YouTube search "Theranos Elizabeth Holmes". Very topical as her trial is on hold as she conveniently got pregnant and it's an amazing story if you don't know it yet. Talking about "tests" 😉

I'd never heard of her before, thanks for the info.
I just watched the Aus TV 60 Minutes documentary (on youtube) about here.

They are in process of selecting the jury now I think.
I see Yahoo is live streaming a documentary about her  5pm 30-8 ET (31August 04:00 Thai time)
it's called "Valley of Hype" The culture that built Elizabeth Holmes
https://finance.yahoo.com/live/theranosdocumentary  

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I see Yahoo is live streaming a documentary about her  5pm 30-8 ET (31August 04:00 Thai time)

It's been in the news only for 10 years 🤣

She was the youngest billionaire, duping the richest people on earth with her lies, creating a $9 billion dollar company funded by the big names, eventually worth ZERO, because everything she claimed was swallowed up for years, but turned out completely false.

Her trial was about to start, but then she conveniently got pregnant so they've postponed it.

There's a book "Bad Blood" by the author who also exposed the fraud. It's an amazing read. And there will be a movie with Jenifer Lawrence playing Holmes.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

It's been in the news only for 10 years 🤣

She was the youngest billionaire, duping the richest people on earth with her lies, creating a $9 billion dollar company funded by the big names, eventually worth ZERO, because everything she claimed was swallowed up for years, but turned out completely false.

Her trial was about to start, but then she conveniently got pregnant so they've postponed it.

There's a book "Bad Blood" by the author who also exposed the fraud. It's an amazing read. And there will be a movie with Jenifer Lawrence playing Holmes.

I'm a Brit in Thailand - that's my excuse for not knowing what's happening on the 'other side of the pond'.
Thanks for even more info:

I see the film is 'in development'. There doesn't seem to be a release date: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5795144/  
The budget is $50 million  - I hope that's not a con - ha ha!

• Cool 1

23 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm a Brit in Thailand - that's my excuse for not knowing what's happening on the 'other side of the pond'.
Thanks for even more info:

I see the film is 'in development'. There doesn't seem to be a release date: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5795144/  
The budget is $50 million  - I hope that's not a con - ha ha!

Haha. I'm in Thailand too... I have a few nice links at home, I'll PM them later. It really is a great story and you couldn't make it up.

She was supposed to be the next Steve Jobs, even dressed the same, headhunted Apple top-level staff and changed her voice to sound more credible. Got the largest shop chain in the world to put her mini-lab in their stores and only after that people started to see flaws because until then she carefully hid everything even from her employees. And who got too inquisitive was fired. 

I thought of it when you said about the cancer tests. Because when they started to use the mini-lab in the shops, obviously the results were flawed with lots of wrong blood values and lots of people have reason to go after her. Unfortunately, she never sold any shares so she will claim that she didn't profit from anything. And there's no money because the shares are worthless.

Edited by Bob20
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

17 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

angry conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

she had the crazy look but hot too

Id smash no beers

It's personal. But her eyes are a bit big and fish-like to my taste.

And she hoped that having a baby, they wouldn't put her away for 20 years, which is what they planned.

For a 19 year old (at the time) she had an amazing idea. And had it worked, it would have been at least as revolutionary as the iPhone. This company's bust, but proper research continues on the idea. One day it'll work in some form, I'm sure. But perhaps not the full test-spectrum from one pin prick drop of blood, 

Fascinating.

Edited by Bob20
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I know a guy who is so slow it takes him an hour and a half to watch 60 mins! :)

• Haha 1