News Forum - Phuket hoteliers looking to winter wonderland to bolster the Sandbox

Thaiger

by Bill Barnett from c9hotelworks.com As the Phuket Sandbox program continues to be the international gateway for overseas travellers to Thailand, island hoteliers are looking at what the winter season could look like. Traditionally a legacy market, many visitors during this period are called ‘snowbirds’ and are from Northern and Eastern Europe.   Snowbird travellers are long-stay visitors, with a key source, like Russia having an average length of stay of 11 or 12 nights. This makes it a natural fit for the Sandbox 14 day stay requirement (although you can stay for a shorter period if you want).  One key […]

The post Phuket hoteliers looking to winter wonderland to bolster the Sandbox appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

by Bill Barnett from c9hotelworks.com

I wonder if Bill can tell us amongst all his figures and statistics of the 14000 sandbox arrivals we know there has been 73 sandbox confirmed infection cases, are you able to say how many Sandbox tourists have been put in ALQ due to Close Contact with the confirmed cases? We can guess from the publicity of the first case of about 13 so rounding up of the 14000 approx 1000 would have to spend 14 days in an ALQ. Great way for a holiday to start.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Relying on the Russians to come to a practically alcohol free holiday island .

Yeah that's gonna work with the Russians not liking a drink LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Griff1315 said:

Relying on the Russians to come to a practically alcohol free holiday island .

They could book into the SHA+ 7/11. Lots of Beer and Vodka on the premises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rafi said:

I have apartments  in surin Beach way I cannot  use it ???

No you can not, you must book a SHA+ approved hotel for the first 14 nights. Only afterward can you stay in your apartment. 

Interesting article, said a whole lot without adding any real new details. Outside of reading the 2021 numbers to date, no projections going forward. By now they should already be seeing some snowbird bookings. Why only talk about Russians? Ate the Phuket hotels going all in on Russians to save their rears? Why no talk about Europeans? They have always made up a substantial number of the snowbird numbers. Does he think they are not coming this winter? 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Rafi said:

I not Anderstand way I need to make booking for 14 day before I came to phuket 

No logical reason whatsoever. But that’s what makes the Thai world turn it seems. As usual in Thailand, if you want to get an answer, start with following the money. Good luck to you

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, Rafi said:

Sorry, but you're one of the thousands that cannot understand what's happening in Phuket. That's how it is, right now, but thanks for this, your debut post!

Hello, Rafi and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

4 hours ago, Rafi said:

You can use it during the day but The Rules say that you have to be in your hotel at night. The whole purpose of The Sandbox is to bolster the revenue from the tourism sector, local property owners are just collateral damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

but the bigger questions that tourism businesses are asking is, what comes next?

Sandbox and Thailand in general, in a nutshell......

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Did UK just add Thailand to the red list? 

Thais look at the trees, ignoring the vast forest surrounding it....

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

No logical reason whatsoever. But that’s what makes the Thai world turn it seems. As usual in Thailand, if you want to get an answer, start with following the money. Good luck to you

Agreed as I tell ppl always remember the thai phrase "Money #1" and use it when dealing with Thais....

13 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

So I get it. Now they will call it the Ice box. Except you will be greeted with Icey relations and treatment.

Protip, always carry small bottle of Johnny Walker and 1000 B bill...done and done

Will always find a thai friend, as I have tested this theory out...confirmed

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Protip, always carry small bottle of Johnny Walker and 1000 B bill...done and done

Will always find a thai friend, as I have tested this theory out...confirmed

As long as Friend Thai girl then ok. Guys have tendency to get out of control or intolerable on lots of alcohol.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

15 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

As long as Friend Thai girl then ok. Guys have tendency to get out of control or intolerable on lots of alcohol.

Mmm could be either way, I do have a thai buddy who owns a tea shop, he prefers beer as Im always trying to get him to drink sangsom with me...he does have a fancy for Southern Comfort tho...yuk!.....

Cant say Ive drank with many ladies...though I can say I have drank a bit with the lady------boys! 555

7 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Mmm could be either way, I do have a thai buddy who owns a tea shop, he prefers beer as Im always trying to get him to drink sangsom with me...he does have a fancy for Southern Comfort tho...yuk!.....

Cant say Ive drank with many ladies...though I can say I have drank a bit with the lady------boys! 555

That is entirely up to you which how you want your drink.

On 8/26/2021 at 3:12 PM, Thaiger said:

Snowbird travellers are long-stay visitors, with a key source, like Russia having an average length of stay of 11 or 12 nights.

Aside from the fact that Russians are NOT going to come to a location that is not serving booze, they are surely not going to want to play the infantile CoE, pre-paid tests, with a possibility of being thrown into an ASQ if someone else on their plane tests positive on arrival game.

You can dream of sugar plums dancing in your heads, all you want, but without fundamental changes in how Thailand makes visitors "qualify" to visit, and how they are treated once here, these dreams will sour.

Edited by MrStretch
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

17 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

That is entirely up to you which how you want your drink.

Nothing more fun than drinking with the LBs..you get the boy brain but the lady body--Win-Win!!!!

And they dont hassle me for money--always happy to share my sangsom if you're in the area!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PapayaBokBok said:

always happy to share my sangsom if you're in the area!

Which brings me to a technical question. Have you noticed Sang Som getting more spiced over the past couple of years? It's like they've left Appleton Estate behind and started chasing after Captain Morgan. I could never drink Mekhong because of all the spices but Sang Som was good. Now it tastes like something a millennial (no offense) would mix with Coke. Gotta find a new rum to smuggle out on my next trip.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Which brings me to a technical question. Have you noticed Sang Som getting more spiced over the past couple of years? It's like they've left Appleton Estate behind and started chasing after Captain Morgan. I could never drink Mekhong because of all the spices but Sang Som was good. Now it tastes like something a millennial (no offense) would mix with Coke. Gotta find a new rum to smuggle out on my next trip.

A SANGSOM THREAD!!!!! Oh the joys of Life!!! 555 I could spend days on this topic

Reminds me of thais telling me I will go blind or legends of Meth in the mix-etc....555

Has always been my go to since I arrived in 2008.....like mine with Ginger ale and 2 limes(manao)

But have become such a connoisseur  that I can manage to sip it straight when Im sneaking it around

in a tea bottle--no glass--plastic--no ss thieves when I leave in mbike basket and the perfect crime!

Ive seen all types of SS..the older Red Label--the Blue Premium(which I prefer) and the elusive Similan

which has notes of coconut and vanilla and hard to find but tends to give even worse hangovers too

Im also a Captain Morgan guy back home and bought a bottle of Cm in CNX for 700b to compare...

so I like spiced with ginger-lime...has always been my go to drink for years..I pay 180 for SS in CNX.

and found the Blue Premium to be smoother and lighter, as my thai buddy prefers it too...less "rough"

Find these around old shops and dusty old boxes-lol---look for the date labels--14 yrs old--aged!!!!

See the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JamesE said:

If you are based in CNX I can offer up where I can find all of these for 180-large and bars that sell sets...

• Like 1