News Forum - Restaurant operators accept rules for re-opening dine-in services

Thaiger

What does the government and the restaurant owners think this is going to do?  With less than 10% of the population vaccinated, I don't see much of a change.  And with foreigners the last to get the vaccine, I guess there won't be any of us eating in any restaurant.  Doesn't really bother me as I would just as soon eat at a street stall.  With all the corruption here, I don't see this working anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THETRUTH said:

As if those same places weren't violating every single hygiene law and alcohol ban and social distancing law among multiple others already... Even big-brand international chain restaurants were happily violating the requirements for social distancing prior to latest lockdown.

Vaccination requirement is a pathetic excuse for the government to try save its face after f***ing up so badly in every regard so far, and now chickening out after a couple days of slightly lower infection numbers. There will be zero restaurants in Bangkok who would care about vaccination status after the first day or two.

I agree that the government has **** up, but, even if this is face saving, its a step in the right direction for millions of people who are involved in the business.

The one thing I fear is that this will justify vaccine passports, but, being Thailand, and if you stick to local places that you know, I have a feeling that this rule will be relaxed at point of entry ;-).

Also, as someone who has developed and confirmed natural antibodies, I will not choose to take the vaccine, so I don't mind bending this rule in good faith, as natural immunity is superior to the jab

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I've mentioned this in other posts already, but expatvac is NOT for over 60's or having underlying conditions. Every foreigner can apply. They only give priority to over 60's and people with health problems. It's literally on the first page when you go to their site.

I suggest you don't look at this as a family to avoid sadness. Every single person that is protected from serious sickness and death is important. The sadness will be infinitely bigger if one of you suffers something serious while you wait to get a "happy family appointment ".

Ooops. Did miss that top black line. Will consider it now. But in reality would like to do it all in the family, but yes as I told my daughter yesterday, do the Moderna when you can and we will get ours when we can as everyone vaccinated helps solve our family problem. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

I would never use a restaurant that required to see my private medical records before i could eat there, and yes i am vaccinated.

They're not asking for private medical records, just a vaccine passport. There are still vaccination requirements for various diseases to travel internationally in some countries. And you can show your independence, exercise your freedom, by refusing to go to those restaurants.

https://www.who.int/ith/2016-ith-county-list.pdf

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, AdamX said:

The one thing I fear is that this will justify vaccine passports, but, being Thailand, and if you stick to local places that you know, I have a feeling that this rule will be relaxed at point of entry ;-).

Vaccine passports are coming. It will be a matter of adherence. Like you point out, the smaller mom/pop places will give a wink and a nod. International travel? I think they will be sticklers.

• Cool 1

7 minutes ago, HappyExpat said:

Vaccine passports are coming. It will be a matter of adherence. Like you point out, the smaller mom/pop places will give a wink and a nod. International travel? I think they will be sticklers.

As you say, international travel will not be easy without a vaccine passport. 

Im very hopeful that 'workarounds' will be available,

18 minutes ago, AdamX said:

As you say, international travel will not be easy without a vaccine passport. 

Im very hopeful that 'workarounds' will be available,

"workarounds" spoil it for everyone else and don't contain this pandemic.

Either you are vaccinated, have valid proof and it is checked properly,

or you don't bother handing anything out and don't bother checking at all. 

If the system is a flawed from the start, then there's no need for the system.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

"workarounds" spoil it for everyone else and don't contain this pandemic.

Either you are vaccinated, have valid proof and it is checked properly,

or you don't bother handing anything out and don't bother checking at all. 

If the system is a flawed from the start, then there's no need for the system.

The system currently says  that vaccination is the one and only response to the disease.

Science shows that natural immunity is superior as it attacks all 27 parts and not one spike protein.

Ergo, the System is flawed and I agree with you.

There is no need for this System

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamX said:

I agree that the government has **** up, but, even if this is face saving, its a step in the right direction for millions of people who are involved in the business.

Also, as someone who has developed and confirmed natural antibodies, I will not choose to take the vaccine, so I don't mind bending this rule in good faith, as natural immunity is superior to the jab

It's too late for them to save face no matter what they do. Once a scoundrel then probably always a scoundrel.

• Cool 1

6 minutes ago, yetanother said:

from https://www.ocregister.com/2021/08/25/doctor-challenges-uc-systems-vaccine-mandate-saying-he-is-naturally-immune-to-covid-19/

"The lawsuit cites a study in Israel that found vaccinated citizens were 6.72 times more likely to get infected after the shot than after natural infection."

better than , and not by just a little...

Fantastic link - many  thanks

2 hours ago, THETRUTH said:

I've been vaxxed with first dose of AstraZeneca. The hospital gave me a regular A4-sized document showing the appointment time for my second shot. I've been told elsewhere that this document would suffice for travelling to the Phuket sandbox etc. so it should be adequate for dining too.

The only "proof of authenticity" in this document is a tiny inked stamp below my name.

There's also a QR code but when I tried reading it on my phone, it only resulted in a numeric code, so definitely no-one will have the proprietary equipment for verifying this QR code if they tried to. Funnily enough the document doesn't even have my name because the hospital's IT systems are useless crap. It was written afterwards by using a pen.

Amazing Thailand. Just one more detail the children in charge did not consider, despite how important proof of vaccination will become. The lack of leadership here is astounding, and it is scary to witness, during a national emergency. The goons need to be called out, every opportunity everyone gets. 

May the youth prevail over the dinosaurs. It is the only hope this nation has, to prevent a reversion back into the stone age, and lower African nation status. 

30 minutes ago, AdamX said:

The system currently says  that vaccination is the one and only response to the disease.

Science shows that natural immunity is superior as it attacks all 27 parts and not one spike protein.

Ergo, the System is flawed and I agree with you.

There is no need for this System

Unfortunately you are factually wrong, as natural immunity also last only for about 6 months.

Besides, the vaccine protects you nearly fully against serious sickness and death. Unvaccinated you take your chances on sickness and death and MAY survive and develop natural immunity.

That's why the hospitals are filled with severely sick people and why there are 4.5m deaths until now! Because by far not everyone develops natural immunity. Yet nearly everyone is protected against severe sickness and death by vaccination.

As for attacking 1 spike protein or the full virus: It doesn't matter whether you cut off someones head, or whether you subsequently cut off 2 arms plus 2 legs and cut him in half as well. When the job is done, you don't need to continue...

You make no sense to people who know what they are talking about and either you are not well informed or intentionally spread disinformation.

You can save it for the CCC forum and your conspiracist mates..

This is about vaccine passports!

You said "workaround" and that means we have the system, which you hope to illegally circumvent.

Very different and not admirable story.

Edited by Bob20
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stardust said:

They messed up the vaccination but now punish the people for that?! 

I think the word is purposely or intentional. Wasn't a mistake.

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

They are supposed to provide proof, a Thai medical "yellow book" like the old WHO books, showing when and where after you have been vaccinated.

There's a thread in the Vaccination forum with examples.

And as far as I know, to date this ineffective administration has made no provisions for that, on any level. Am I wrong about that?

I'm surprised by the volume of comments. Who would have though that eating at a restaurant would be so controversial!! Where I come from, in states that are in lockdown...restaurants can only offer takeaway. The smart ones are partnering with delivery apps. In states not in lockdown, you can dine in at restaurants with reduced capacity and everyone wearing masks, until they sit down to eat...then the masks can come off. It seems to be working ok. No "super spreader" events have resulted.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

58 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

And as far as I know, to date this ineffective administration has made no provisions for that, on any level. Am I wrong about that?

Hello again 🤭

There are about a dozen versions here, none of them standardised. Same in other countries. Plus fakes have been seen and certificates have been handed to unvaccinated people too.

There's nothing yet that might efficiently and effectively prove anything. 

System leaky as a sieve.

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/4160-not-yet-reported-covid-news/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

I would never use a restaurant that required to see my private medical records before i could eat there, and yes i am vaccinated.

An official vaccine certificate like in Europe is not a private medical record.
It just states your ID and that you are vaccinated (and with which vaccine).
There is no mention whatsoever of your medical history and illnesses.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Excellent idea.

We already have staggered or reduced seating and or partitioning between patrons.  A vax passport will not change the dynamics.   Better off staying at home and ordering Grab delivery.

Funny.
I see pics of friends sitting in French restaurants with a lot of people around.
Next month it will be me, Provence, Dordogne, or seafood in Brittany.

5 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

So, how do we demonstrate we have been vaccinated? Are the hospitals giving out VAX cards? A letter after the 2nd shot? How does this work? As usual, the lack of details says it all. 

Since a higher percentage of the ex-pat community has likely been vaccinated than the locals Thais, looks like the restaurant community may be very happy to see us coming!

Likely that you will need to show the green MOPH vaccination status.  
Example of mine here - https://imgur.com/gallery/OUt7PYt

Not sure what foreigners or Thai's vaccinated outside the country will show - probably a screenshot of the vaccine card will suffice.

I also have a shot of the Yellow Vaccine Booklet here - https://imgur.com/gallery/YPx6M1I if you're interested.

2 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

Yes, you are incorrect.

I've gotten one in case its needed in future.  https://imgur.com/gallery/YPx6M1I

In Phuket it can be gotten at Bangkok Hospital (apparently).

Not sure where the equivalent place to get the booklet would be for other regions.  Best to ask when/where you get vaccinated for more details.

As an addendum - So far I have been asked to show my vaccination status at 2 places - both in Phuket.

Chalong Pier - as they require divers to be vaccinated now, and a government office.

I expect to also need to show proof when I head back to Phuket next week.  Not too onerous, and I think it will become more common over the coming months.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The measures are strict and include the need for all customers to show proof of full vaccination. According to a Bangkok Post report, the re-opening of dine-in services would be done under a “sandbox” concept across the 29 strictly-controlled dark red provinces.

Not quite, but more scary than this.

The Public Health Ministry will propose dining-in be allowed at restaurants and in dark-red and red zones for customers who are fully vaccinated or passed Covid-19 tests.

Under the proposal, air-conditioned restaurants in the 29 Dark Red Zones of maximum and strict Covid-19 control, and the 37 red zone provinces, would be allowed to serve meals to customers at up to 50% of their seating capacity. Social-distancing must be observed. They could open until 8pm.

Restaurateurs and staff must have received two doses of Covid-19 vaccine. If they were infected, the infection must have been at least one month ago but not more than three months, which is the period of effective immunity, he said.

Which of the restaurants outside of the Phuket Sandbox can at this time meet this requirement. At this time restaurants in the Red Zones are open to customers both vaccinated and not. This ruling will force a lot of closures in the Red Zone restaurants. 

1 minute ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Not quite, but more scary than this.

The Public Health Ministry will propose dining-in be allowed at restaurants and in dark-red and red zones for customers who are fully vaccinated or passed Covid-19 tests.

Under the proposal, air-conditioned restaurants in the 29 Dark Red Zones of maximum and strict Covid-19 control, and the 37 red zone provinces, would be allowed to serve meals to customers at up to 50% of their seating capacity. Social-distancing must be observed. They could open until 8pm.

Restaurateurs and staff must have received two doses of Covid-19 vaccine. If they were infected, the infection must have been at least one month ago but not more than three months, which is the period of effective immunity, he said.

Which of the restaurants outside of the Phuket Sandbox can at this time meet this requirement. At this time restaurants in the Red Zones are open to customers both vaccinated and not. This ruling will force a lot of closures in the Red Zone restaurants. 

Restaurants in Bangkok are not open for anything except delivery currently.

This will allow some restaurants to open for dining.  I don't see it forcing more closures.