News Forum - Purchase of 8.5 million Chinese antigen test kits paused again

Thaiger

Like many things regarding Covid-19, or Thai policy in general, the saga of importing controversial antigen test kits has reversed directions yet again. Following an order last week to proceed with the purchase of 8.5 million Chinese-made antigen test kits, the cabinet has now withdrawn the purchase approval. PM Prayut Chan-o-cha supported the cabinet decision to withdraw the deal to purchase 8.5 million antigen test kits manufactured by Lepu Medical Technology in China. A Deputy Government Spokesperson said that Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul clarified that the kits were made for home use, and are not intended for professional […]

The post Purchase of 8.5 million Chinese antigen test kits paused again appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This article just shows you how the Pandemic is being handled by the Thai government.  Pay for millions on test kits from China probably because it was cheap even though home test kits should not be used for the home attempt to offer them as a reliable test then once your rumbled withdraw the kits and decline the offer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DiggR said:

That 425M baht remaining on the table sure has them scrambling to ensure the brown envelopes will get filled somehow. 

Yawn, brown envelopes, snooze.

Thats is too TVF for me. Got anything original?

50 minutes ago, yetanother said:

"The Rural Doctors Society, responding to the whiplash of a third reversal of the government’s plans, said they will proceed with their plans to thoroughly test and vet the antigen test kits and their effectiveness regardless of the new decision."

so...the thai government CANNOT properly do it, cannot even have a strategy,  a plan, to do it;

so the private sector has to ;

pathetic;

that is NOT leadership

I am suitably outraged. Happy?

3 hours ago, vlad said:

This article just shows you how the Pandemic is being handled by the Thai government.  Pay for millions on test kits from China probably because it was cheap even though home test kits should not be used for the home attempt to offer them as a reliable test then once your rumbled withdraw the kits and decline the offer.

You get them on Alibaba for the half price and that says all about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yetanother said:

"The Rural Doctors Society, responding to the whiplash of a third reversal of the government’s plans, said they will proceed with their plans to thoroughly test and vet the antigen test kits and their effectiveness regardless of the new decision."

so...the thai government CANNOT properly do it, cannot even have a strategy,  a plan, to do it;

so the private sector has to ;

pathetic;

that is NOT leadership

Yup. And as cherry on the cake (or in the envelope) meanwhile the GPO keeps the monopoly to buy and distribute.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vlad said:

Do any members think these kits are 100% reliable or just a cheap test.

They never applied for approval in the US, so when they arrived there for sale, they were recalled for not having a license to be sold. They were since found to be unreliable but several other countries use them.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/stop-using-lepu-medical-technology-sars-cov-2-antigen-and-leccurate-antibody-tests-fda-safety

I don't understand how things work here.

I read that contracts are signed for vaccines and tests and see the responsible people with pen in hand signing the documents.

I see the proud announcements and boasting that things have been procured for the public. 

And then a week later, when the goods could already arrive, you read with less proudness and less boasting that it's cancelled or delayed.

This is a Chinese company and I don't know how they deal with this, but I know that if you do this to Pfizer or Moderna and you're not a reliable party to the deal, it explains very well why they're in no hurry to supply here. 

Edited by Bob20
  • Like 3
  • Cool 1

28 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I read that contracts are signed for vaccines and tests and see the responsible people with pen in hand signing the documents.

I see the proud announcements and boasting that things have been procured for the public. 

And then a week later, when the goods could already arrive, you read with less proudness and less boasting that it's cancelled or delayed.

This is a Chinese company and I don't know how they deal with this, but I know that if you do this to Pfizer or Moderna and you're not a reliable party to the deal, it explains very well why they're in no hurry to supply here. 

To understand it better and what was a concern, too, is the fact the price was double than if you buy them online for example at alibaba. It is not only about quality as at the vaccines delay, too. 

I understand what you say. But the price was the reason why it was delayed before, as other more reliable tests were cheaper.

Then it was reported that the government went ahead regardless. And after the signature goes on the dotted line, you have a legal contract. 

Also, the company had everything in stock and Thailand needed it urgently.

The day after contracts were signed, logistics start as it was urgent.

You don't start haggling over the price a week after you signed a contract, if you knowingly accepted that higher price already. We should be receiving these goods by now.

I smell a rat...

• Like 1

Contracts between Thailand and China are meaningless In Thailand. In a day or 2 bob the PM will deny any wrong doing or say it was an error in the health ministry except his head Anutin, of course will not be blamed it will be a junior minister. If you remember Bob the PM stood for the pics with the head of the Pharmaceutical lab where the phizer or AZ vaccine was to be manufactured and how quickly he bragged about how many vaccines would be rolled out. We now know they never or had the equipment to make one vaccine. Then he went begging for donated vaccines. 

Edited by vlad

8 minutes ago, vlad said:

Contracts between Thailand and China are meaningless In Thailand. In a day or 2 bob the PM will deny any wrong doing or say it was an error in the health ministry except his head Anutin, of course will not be blamed it will be a junior minister. If you remember Bob the PM stood for the pics with the head of the Pharmaceutical lab where the phizer or AZ vaccine was to be manufactured and how quickly he bragged about how many vaccines would be rolled out. We now know they never or had the equipment to make one vaccine. Then he went begging for donated vaccines. 

Hi vlad, if you press "quote" I get notified that you reply 🙏 Otherwise it's just chance...

Glad I'm not doing business with them. Still wonder about the validity of signed contracts though. As I said above, I don't think western companies would accept breach of contract so easily.

11 hours ago, Bob20 said:

well news in thailand can be mundane sometimes. These turns of tide by governmental agencies and rural doctors does not raise an eyebrow. Just a circus act to create interesting media read in times of staying at home

• Cool 1