News Forum - Covid-19 task force to debate partial re-opening of Thailand in line with PM’s pledge

Thaiger

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration is expected to debate a plan to re-open the country before the end of the year, in line with the PM’s pledge last June. Back then, Prayut Chan-o-cha vowed to re-open the country within 120 days, but Covid-19 infections have risen significantly since those words were uttered. Despite this, the Bangkok Post reports that the government appears resigned to having to live with the virus. Following a slight drop in cases yesterday, officials are also hopeful that we may have reached the peak. Opas Karnkawinpong from the Department of Disease Control says the National […]

The post Covid-19 task force to debate partial re-opening of Thailand in line with PM’s pledge appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

32 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

I'm betting that this becomes the busiest thread of the day . . . any takers?

Unless someone starts a thread about the rumor of dual pricing for Singha and Leo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Unless someone starts a thread about the rumor of dual pricing for Singha and Leo.

OK you do it

57 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Despite this, the Bangkok Post reports that the government appears resigned to having to live with the virus

It’s not the first virus Thai governments have been resigned to living with. Won’t be the last.

1 minute ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

It’s not the first virus Thai governments have been resigned to living with. Won’t be the last.

Yes, it will turn endemic.

But for all their delayed and totally insufficient actions, for now they are resigning to die with it, not live with it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

re-open the country before the end of the year,

That’s good timing for me. I was planning to visit right after Christmas. I would expect BKK to open, the only question is will Chiang Mai and Pattaya be ready by then. Wonder if the government adjust the requirements and restrictions to help with the numbers. So far many of the places that have reopened have done so with soft demand. Few have rebounded well. It’s starting to get late, Thailand really needs to commit soon to maximize numbers for this high season. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

24 minutes ago, JamesE said:

So much for mid-October.

In June he stated October15th to re-open the Country.
Maybe the CCSA never received that message.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration is expected to debate a plan to re-open the country before the end of the year, in line with the PM’s pledge last June. Back then, Prayut Chan-o-cha vowed to re-open the country within 120 days, but Covid-19 infections have risen significantly since those words were uttered. Despite this, the Bangkok Post reports that the government appears resigned to having to live with the virus. Following a slight drop in cases yesterday, officials are also hopeful that we may have reached the peak. Opas Karnkawinpong from the Department of Disease Control says the National […]

The post Covid-19 task force to debate partial re-opening of Thailand in line with PM’s pledge appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

With Thai Government's love of complexity and paperwork, I would not be surprised if the COE stays in place as a way of verifying vax status, Itinerary and insurance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Objectivance said:

Ahhh, the covidologists will have to find something else to be continously outraged by.

Kicking And Screaming Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Wait til they find out the high cost of short time after a year of OnlyFans earnings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Yes, it will turn endemic.

But for all their delayed and totally insufficient actions, for now they are resigning to die with it, not live with it.

Not them as they are vaccinated being first in line to jab. Disgusting creatures they are.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Covidologists, I like that, it's fitting. Definition: Busybody people who read a lot of shit on the internet concerning Covid19.

Mind if I borrow it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

That’s good timing for me. I was planning to visit right after Christmas. I would expect BKK to open, the only question is will Chiang Mai and Pattaya be ready by then. Wonder if the government adjust the requirements and restrictions to help with the numbers. So far many of the places that have reopened have done so with soft demand. Few have rebounded well. It’s starting to get late, Thailand really needs to commit soon to maximize numbers for this high season. 

For CM I wouldn't think so. There is no vaccine here and the virus is out in pockets through-out the city now. They just don't openly make it public too much where it is spreading to, but my wife somehow gets updates. CM is sort of open now as restaurants can go and eat and malls and such are open. If you want a drink then you can see some places are open with a couple of foreigners drinking from containers, but other than that it is dead as a doornail.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

The public needs to demand full transparency, vetting and representation on Department of Disease Control and the National Communicable Disease Committee 

Without representation from Business, Health, Social Services and other such sectors, the decision making is happening in a bubble and millions more will suffer unnecessarily

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlexPTY said:

what could possibly go wrong?

Icelandic volcanoes explode spewing ash into the air. Which would shut down air traffic thus delaying delivery of vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It they do a re-opening many ex-pats will return. Only a small number of tourists. My guess would be if they re-opened with NO restrictions at all next year, they might see a million tourists. Maybe. Two million by 2023-2025. Possibly as many as 5 million, five years from now.

Getting the tourists to come back here is going to be infinitely harder than they think.

First and foremost, the lower to middle income crowd from China, India and Malaysia have been hard hit by all of this Covid crap, and it will take a long time before most of them are ready to spend alot of money on vacations.

Second, the longer Thailand waits, the harder it is going to be. Thailand is already being forgotten, and is the laughing stock of the planet at this time, for the ridiculous number of restrictions imposed on anyone who wants to come here, even though it is them taking the risk, NOT the Thais, and the locals here are the real zombies now, and the real threat to the health of an incoming tourist. 

Third, they never even considered addressing any of the issues plaguing the industry, long before Covid. And they continue to use Covid as a cover story, for any and all issues pertaining to tourism. The industry is basically finished here. Five years from now it will be a pale shadow of it's former self. 

Prayuth should resign today. I know. I should have taken the vaccine thing more seriously.

I know, I should have had a more qualified health minister.

I know, my pathological fear of the optics of a lockdown are causing many more cases than need be.

I realize I should have made sure they really did set up the promised roadblocks, and made sure infected people from zombie central (Bangkok) were not allowed to escape, and spread Covid all over the country. That one is on me. 

And I know, I should have been more diligent with the borders, I should have cracked down on corrupt immigration officials, and kept my promise to fight corruption, and I should have used my army soldiers for something. Anything.

I forget there are 550,000 soldiers. They would have been perfect for controlling the border. And they would have actually been doing something to benefit the people and they would have been protecting the nation, for a change. I also forget that is why we have soldiers.

How very dumb of me. It appears I am nowhere near as smart as I think I am. I do realize I should have and could have done better.

WireAP_f2d5e865bde74bae9daa81a5434caea9_16x9_992.jpg

Edited by dmacarelli
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

If Thailand followed the same physical laws as the rest of the universe, then anyone with a high school education would tell you this will result in a brief uptick in the economy and feel good factor, followed by increases in cases and many more deaths, followed by further lockdowns and even further damage to a battered economy. But This Is Thailand…..  

A combination of smoke and mirrors, a huge amount of luck and good timing, and an attitude of just getting on with life, could well see them pull things off. It’s not going to do much for Tourism until they scrap the multiple documentation hoops and quarantine, but the rest of the economy will improve and the baht will be back to $31. Maybe time to change a bit of cash….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

45 minutes ago, DSB said:

Good Idea if foreigners have had two vaccine dose ,life must go on.open slowly.

Not just foreigners. EVERYBODY needs to get the vaccine. Then yes - open slowly.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, HappyExpat said:

Not just foreigners. EVERYBODY needs to get the vaccine. Then yes - open slowly.

Sure, and why not add all domestic animals: buffalo's, dogs, cats, pigs.  And then when the trend is still not going down, we can start jabbing birds, bees, trees, until it improves...  < sarcasm-meter on RED > 

58 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Sure, and why not add all domestic animals: buffalo's, dogs, cats, pigs.  And then when the trend is still not going down, we can start jabbing birds, bees, trees, until it improves...  < sarcasm-meter on RED > 

Yeah we've way too many animals existing causing patriarchal climate change/shift/misalignment, let's make sure they're not around in the next decade. 

Edited by Objectivance