News Forum - Phuket Sandbox order revises rules to cancel or modify

Thaiger

Our of curiosity, do people think that the currently listed rules and "sealed routes" will remain the same for the remainder of the year or are Thailand really going to open the flood gates come October? How many amendments can really be made to a sandbox?

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, JamesE said:

AQ in Bangkok. No muss, no fuss, same four walls for two weeks.

Problem with AQ in Bangkok is it's harder to go elsewhere - Phuket is right out for a start unless you have a residence in Phuket..., and strictly speaking you are't supposed to leave bangkok red zone.

At least with SHA+ (let's hope the mod's recognise the acronym this time around!) -  you have the possibility of going elsewhere.

Edited by Faz
removed unnecessary comment
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

6 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

when the walls came down... it will be fun to see who to blame for all this fiasco 

chill, this is an government's prerogative post, don't worry about content 🤣😋

• Cool 1

11 minutes ago, chouse said:

Our of curiosity, do people think that the currently listed rules and "sealed routes" will remain the same for the remainder of the year or are Thailand really going to open the flood gates come October? How many amendments can really be made to a sandbox?

I think the numbers will dictate future rule changes. Thailand can not afford the level of numbers they are getting in Phuket. They will see if just opening up other locations drives tourism overall. Expect them to see what October does first, if it’s flat they will change the rules for November. 

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

A  successful sandbox system in any such infected country can and will never be possible, the parameters just change too much from week to week and are impossible to control, that is why most countries in the world are not trying to do it.

The only solution is mass vaccinate and then try a sandbox approach, but until then you are wasting your time as most people from a free open and almost fully vaccinated country will not go to Phuket yet, we will wait and see how it is in a few months time.

But I won't hold my breath. 

I don't have the link handy, but the W.H.O. just announced a new variant naming scheme as they are expecting to run out of alphabet. Vaccines are not a panacea. Just saying... 

“what they (Coronavirus vaccines) can׳t do anymore is prevent transmission.” -- U.S. CDC Director

https://twitter.com/YossiGestetner/status/1423758644143869965

1 minute ago, Freeduhdumb said:

I don't have the link handy, but the W.H.O. just announced a new variant naming scheme as they are expecting to run out of alphabet. Vaccines are not a panacea. Just saying... 

Sounds promising.  Who's ready for 5 more years of lockdowns!  Sounds great, right!?

Full disclosure: I've been through ASQ in Bangkok and am planning to Sandbox it on my next trip in October.

Here's my take. The Sandbox and its ilk are a experiments to answer the question: What is the new normal? This is the reason that The Phuket Sandbox and Samui+ are not the same. But, because people hate - absolutely hate - change, that's the part that can't be said out loud. So, if the government were to come out and say: "Look, things are going to be different so let's try some things to see how to make it work," people will stop listening at "things are going to be different" and start running around with their hair on fire. This denial results in comments like "Why would I want to go on vacation anywhere if they told me I couldn't drink with dinner???!!!"

IMO, the thing we as visitors and residents need to do is at the very least quit complaining and at the very most be part of the experiment. The new normal is going to be different for a while and less like the old normal in places where a robust local health care system doesn't exist. So plan on coming. Plan on putting up with the new rules (and the constant changes to them). And plan on it being a different experience than you're used to, and roll with it. That's where the fun is. You're adaptable, right?

But also take into account your expectations. We all have our limits, after all. If your vacation plans/lifestyle won't let you get through your cheeseburger without a bucket of Leos then maybe Thailand isn't the right place for you right now. But eventually it will be.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

At least with SHA+ (let's hope the mod's recognise the acronym this time around! -  you have the possibility of going elsewhere.

SQ, ASQ, ALQ, SHA, SHA+   😉

26 minutes ago, chouse said:

A lot depends on what the "flood gates" are holding back. If there is demand and the rules are eased for vaccinated entry, then there might be a small influx (China will remain conspicuously absent from global tourism for a while). I see the Sandboxes becoming a standard entry path. If you're here for a couple weeks then you can shuttle between sandboxed destinations. If you're here longer term then it provides a way into the country through a portal that scrapes some money off you on the way in at places that are mostly dependent on getting that money.

So, yes, I think the rules will be in place and the rules are going to change along the way. I don't think there is overwhelming demand for international travel right now so maybe the drip into the sandboxes will turn into a trickle, but that's going to be it for the rest of the year.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Faz said:

SHABA...

Plus, SQ has been ditched and ASQ has been renamed AQ. Note: These will all change again in the next week or so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Whats the 7+7?

7 days in Phuket, 7 days in another approved location. Currently, Phang Nga islands, Khao Lak, Ao Nang, Railay, Samui, Koh Tao, Koh Pha Ngan, Phi Phi. (I think that's it.)

7 minutes ago, JamesE said:

A lot depends on what the "flood gates" are holding back. If there is demand and the rules are eased for vaccinated entry, then there might be a small influx (China will remain conspicuously absent from global tourism for a while). I see the Sandboxes becoming a standard entry path. If you're here for a couple weeks then you can shuttle between sandboxed destinations. If you're here longer term then it provides a way into the country through a portal that scrapes some money off you on the way in at places that are mostly dependent on getting that money.

So, yes, I think the rules will be in place and the rules are going to change along the way. I don't think there is overwhelming demand for international travel right now so maybe the drip into the sandboxes will turn into a trickle, but that's going to be it for the rest of the year.

Thank you for your reply. I'm also trying to get a clearer picture to the logistics of a pre-booked and paid holiday. Would we be allowed to spend 7 nights in Phuket followed by 4 nights in krabi and then 3 nights in phi phi? Technically the same province 

9 minutes ago, chouse said:

Thank you for your reply. I'm also trying to get a clearer picture to the logistics of a pre-booked and paid holiday. Would we be allowed to spend 7 nights in Phuket followed by 4 nights in krabi and then 3 nights in phi phi? Technically the same province 

That I haven't delved into. There are some chains that are promoting 7+7 to different places within their brands (like Kantary) but right now there aren't many ways to get over to Krabi except by boat. This has a very rushed feel to it (much as the Sandbox had a couple months ago) and it's going to take some time for the rules to be implemented in the real world and the infrastructure put in place.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, chouse said:

No one knows what is going to happen as there are very few vaccines available in Thailand so the situation in Thailand could become dire at any point and a total lockdown could happen.

I should have been in Phuket two months ago for six months but there is no point going from a country like the UK where everything is open and there are no restrictions to risk going to Phuket where anything could happen.

That wouldn't be much fun at all, we and I am sure there are many of us will wait until things pass.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JamesE said:

SHABA...

Plus, SQ has been ditched and ASQ has been renamed AQ. Note: These will all change again in the next week or so.

Impressed, not many members would know that.

Yep, SQ ditched - no more freebies for returning Thais.
AQ - most websites including Embassy website still state ASQ, or AQ/ASQ.

Should be fun renaming with all the extra locations becoming available.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chouse said:

Theoretically after spending 7 days in Phuket you should be able to do as you suggest.
As @JamesE already stated the infrastructure isn't in place yet.
Logistically it could be a nightmare as to obtain the COE I would think you'll have to submit evidence of all hotel, travel and Covid testing payment receipts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faz said:

And stick the closing bracket back in there, bad editor, bad! 😋

Edited by Faz
removed unnecessary comment

2 hours ago, TiT said:

Sounds promising.  Who's ready for 5 more years of lockdowns!  Sounds great, right!?

Seems to be New Zealand's approach... lockdowns forever. Just might be an ulterior motive I would say. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, JamesE said:

7 days in Phuket, 7 days in another approved location. Currently, Phang Nga islands, Khao Lak, Ao Nang, Railay, Samui, Koh Tao, Koh Pha Ngan, Phi Phi. (I think that's it.)

7 days on the Rock(jail) and then let me fly to CNX and Im in.....the thai post 7 looks to me like nothing more than a cash grab to go to see more of the same--Oooo! look water! sand!..double pricing!!! (takes selfie)

Also think many of us expats just want back in....the sandbox is for tourists, which I stopped being in 2008

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Well, I spent 2 weeks in the Sandbox in July.  My reason for going was not tourism but to attend an auction in BKK which got postponed after I started my trip.  So I cut a few days off and came home from BKK a little early.  But the thing that really pissed me off is the constant changing of things.  Lockdowns of malls to "clean" from the infected they found, all domestic flights canceled so you had to pony up over $100US to suffer in a van for up to 12 hours to get to BKK, stopping alcohol sales (I am not a big drinker so that did not bother me much), and other stupid things.  You either open up or not.  But of course, they can't lose face by closing the Sandbox so they change the wording to hide all the infections on Phuket instead of following the original guidelines.  That should never happen.  All these new huge numbers of infections on Phuket are what I predicted before I left Thailand last week because they used Sinocrap to vaccinate the people there.  What did they expect was going to happen?  It's useless against the Delta strain.  One saving grace is that the number of Sandboxers showing infection is quite small considering, and they can't say if they got it on a layover or maybe from some resident of Phuket or hotel or restaurant employee.  One of the turnoffs for many people using the Sandbox is having to pay for 3 tests when you have been fully vaccinated (yeah, I know there are those that are going to spout their expertise about being able to get COVID if you are vaccinated), costly insurance that won't pay if you happen to sit within 40 rows of someone on the plane that turns up infected, wearing a mask outdoors (you don't need it unless you are in a large group of people outside, and even then it's really not necessary), having to pay for hotel, etc in advance of ever knowing if the embassy will approve your COE.  Why don't they have the process where you tell them where you want to stay, your flight plans and get approved subject to submitting evidence of payment?  Then you can rest easy knowing when you fork out the money you will be quickly approved because they basically already told you it's a done deal.  So while the sandbox has some advantages, most of the people using it are not "tourists" in the true sense.  They are people returning to family and avoiding the BKK prison for the 14 nights.  I am off to Greece at the end of the month for a nice cruise around the Greek islands and a few days exploring Athens.  Going there is 200 times easier than what they put you through to get to Phuket.  Thailand needs to wise up if they want the tourist money.  Nobody will want to come to Thailand if, after they leave Phuket to go elsewhere, they may encounter everything locked down like it pretty much was in BKK when I was there.  That's my 2 baht!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Naja said:

One of the turnoffs for many people using the Sandbox is having to pay for 3 tests when you have been fully vaccinated (yeah, I know there are those that are going to spout their expertise about being able to get COVID if you are vaccinated),

This is exactly the problem with the Sandboxes: Pick a freaking lane. Either the vaccines do what you want and those people should be allowed in (sure, keep them in Phuket or Samui for a fortnight to see if they develop symptoms). Or everybody's a danger and go back to real quarantine. They are trying to balance on a knife edge with restarting tourism in the midst of an outbreak that is stressing the hospital system but if you believe in vaccines then it should be one test on arrival and then you're on your own.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1