Talk Forum - Total Covid-19 infections in Thailand surpass 1 million

Thaiger

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry has confirmed that the total number of Covid-19 cases has now passed the 1 million mark. Today, the kingdom reported 19,851 new infections and 240 fatalities in the past 24 hours. According to a Bangkok Post report, 19,526 of the new cases were detected among the general public, with 325 reported in prisons. A total of 20,478 recovered patients have been discharged from hospital in the last 24 hours. Thailand has now reported a total of 980,847 infections in the country’s most devastating wave of the virus, which began in April. Of those, 768,379 have recovered. […]

The post Total Covid-19 infections in Thailand surpass 1 million appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

42 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry has confirmed that the total number of Covid-19 cases has now passed the 1 million mark. Today, the kingdom reported 19,851 new infections and 240 fatalities in the past 24 hours. According to a Bangkok Post report, 19,526 of the new cases were detected among the general public, with 325 reported in prisons. A total of 20,478 recovered patients have been discharged from hospital in the last 24 hours. Thailand has now reported a total of 980,847 infections in the country’s most devastating wave of the virus, which began in April. Of those, 768,379 have recovered. […]

The post Total Covid-19 infections in Thailand surpass 1 million appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That should read "the number of cases found by tests".

It is highly probable that the actual case numbers far exceed 1 million.

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

Where’s my Pfizer dose  , part of the donation form the states.It’s been in Thailand for 2 weeks  . That Pvac has to be under a certain temp

Edited by riclag

50 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I couldn't agree more. 116,000 per million tested is not showing anything like a true reflection. I think a realistic figure would/could be staggering.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

Where’s my Pfizer dose  ,that’s part of the donation form the states.It’s been in Thailand for 2 weeks  . 

150.000 doses were reserved for 75.000 foreigners. The last I read was that there were 35.000 applications, so they should all get them.

But then I read that because of the lower demand, they would reassign an undisclosed number of the 150.000 to other groups.

I'm absolutely sure I read it, and will edit this post with the source if I can find it.

• Cool 1

26 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

150.000 doses were reserved for 75.000 foreigners. The last I read was that there were 35.000 applications, so they should all get them.

But then I read that because of the lower demand, they would reassign an undisclosed number of the 150.000 to other groups.

I'm absolutely sure I read it, and will edit this post with the source if I can find it.

I signed up for the Mvacc in May .I was told I was #16 in line to get it.
I got a call from the Csr two days ago and asked if I wanted the Pvacc ,instead.She told me it was part of the USA 🇺🇸 donation “to falang “. She said to be prepared to get a call to come ,on short notice ,within days.

I rather have the M vacc but she couldn’t guarantee a October delivery.

Edited by riclag
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

They did, in/since April , May and June, at least. They even reached almost 2 million in May:

theglobaleconomy "New Covid tests per month in Thailand, June, 2021"

Not sure, there are new numbers somewhere, but since i am interested in knowing 'em as well, I keep looking ;-)

• Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

They did, in/since April , May and June, at least. They even reached almost 2 million in May:

theglobaleconomy "New Covid tests per month in Thailand, June, 2021"

Not sure, there are new numbers somewhere, but since i am interested in knowing 'em as well, I keep looking ;-)

Well, they're not doing it today 🤔

51 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Too late to edit my previous post, but this is the latest from the MFA spokesperson meaning every applicant should receive Pfizer as the registration numbers are below availability.

IMG_20210820_133213.jpg

• Like 1

Surpasses one million, but the gloom laden press dont tell you that 800,000 have recovered, are LIFTING with antibodies and have returned to a normal life within reason.

So, 200,000 including trace symptoms, asymptomatics and kids.

There is progress.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

35 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Well, they're not doing it today 🤔

You are probably right!

But since they seem to have a 10% ratio in Bangkok,

(BP: "further-mass-testing-could-cut-cases") 

total tests to positive tested people, I'd say that is a number to go with. 

Which would mean, confirming 20k/day will need about 200k tests/day, too.

The biggest problem with that, in my eyes: "only" 10%, while "proactive testing" in specified risk communities, and almost no testing for the "common people" not identified as livin' in a risk group. There is high potential for lots of unsymtomatic cases. In Thailand, it seems, right now they repeating the mistakes of the west: reacting only on findings, instead of really proactive testing all and everyone , who p.ex. may wanna get into a mall or a restaurant or such!

But hey, for that the delivery services, untested, can wait in front of a restaurant to pick up the food and carry it to the person ordering, who has no permission to pick it up by himself.

Which families are behind footpanda, grab, ....? Good connected, it seems!

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Surpasses one million, but the gloom laden press dont tell you that 800,000 have recovered, are LIFTING with antibodies and have returned to a normal life within reason.

There is progress.

This is a far too complex issue to resolve in any forum. Yet:

-The numbers are far higher than reported as not enough testing is done

-It's not just in Thailand but world-wide

-The antibodies appear not to stay around for too long plus they don't prevent disease or death from new variants 

-Long-Covid is undereported and not enough is known about it. In Thailand there are not even statistics on it yet.

I'm pleased the press is gloomy, as otherwise people may too easily dismiss the problem and pretend that today's 4.5 million deaths and 210 million cases are just a drop in the ocean. The ones that belittle the problem usually haven't been personally affected.

25 minutes ago, Poolie said:

There is progress.

Oh yes,  almost 600k of the one million got tested positiv in the past 4 weeks.

That is progress , the last 300k before have needed from April to mid July.

Plus the vaccinated doses hitting 10 million a month, so yes,  it is progressing

I am just happy, that so little numbers need intensiv care here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, riclag said:

I signed up for the Mvacc in May .I was told I was #16 in line to get it.
I got a call from the Csr two days ago and asked if I wanted the Pvacc ,instead.She told me it was part of the USA 🇺🇸 donation “to falang “. She said to be prepared to get a call to come ,on short notice ,within days.

I rather have the M vacc but she couldn’t guarantee a October delivery.

I'm really pleased for you and hope you get jabbed soon 👍

But there is an issue here.

Moderna is only available if you pay.

Pfizer is (for some time to come) only available from the US donation.

This would imply that donated doses are being sold, unless you get a refund.

22 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I payed  a deposit for  myself and 3 family members . So now another family member can take my Mvacc or if the Pvacc, some how gets put on hold,  I'll take the Mvacc. 

3 minutes ago, riclag said:

I payed  a deposit for  myself and 3 family members . So now another family member can take my Mvacc or if the Pvacc, some how gets put on hold,  I'll take the Mvacc. 

The private csr called and gave me the opportunity to get either the pv within days or keep mvacc appointment ! She did mention that the pvacc was from the donated lot and it was free

Edited by riclag

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

I understand.

My point is that I hope that they don't -sell- you the Pfizer jab. That would simply be very wrong and will make the US think twice about donating again.

And please be aware that applications and appointments are not transferable. If you don't take the Moderna, it goes to the next on the list, not to a family member of your choice.

Good luck!

29 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I don't agree with doses being sold !  My deposit was for 4.

Despite my acceptance's for a free Pvacc ,it doesn't change  the status of the Mvacc. It either goes to another family member or if Thailand screws up ,I'll have to wait  for the Mvacc ,like before

35 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

You're naive if you believe they aren't selling it, this is the land of the holy baht.

6 minutes ago, palooka said:

You're naive if you believe they aren't selling it, this is the land of the holy baht.

Yes, his post did have that appearance and I'd be suspicious. But he says not. We'll see.

The Americans have, until now, kept a close watch. So let's hope it's used as intended 

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

There is progress.

It’s just a pity people who’ve had the virus can’t pass on antibodies as easily as infected people can pass on the virus. 
This still has a long way to go before it’s under control and even then we will all have to get use to the idea we are going to “catch Covid” at some point. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

You're correct, @Bob20, in that some of the 150,000 supposedly intended for farangs have been quietly "re-assigned", but AFAIK no reason's been given.

All I'm aware of is that the 150,000 has been extended to include not just "foreigners" but also "Thais planning on going abroad" which could reasonably and very obviously include virtually any Thais at all.

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

You're correct, @Bob20, in that some of the 150,000 supposedly intended for farangs have been quietly "re-assigned", but AFAIK no reason's been given.

All I'm aware of is that the 150,000 has been extended to include not just "foreigners" but also "Thais planning on going abroad" which could reasonably and very obviously include virtually any Thais at all.

Oh, I thought they were included in the 40.000 already set aside for that purpose 

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

This is a far too complex issue to resolve in any forum. Yet:

-The numbers are far higher than reported as not enough testing is done

-It's not just in Thailand but world-wide

-The antibodies appear not to stay around for too long plus they don't prevent disease or death from new variants 

-Long-Covid is undereported and not enough is known about it. In Thailand there are not even statistics on it yet.

I'm pleased the press is gloomy, as otherwise people may too easily dismiss the problem and pretend that today's 4.5 million deaths and 210 million cases are just a drop in the ocean. The ones that belittle the problem usually haven't been personally affected.

You are entitled to be as gloomy and doomy as you see fit. Revel in it, enjoy, fill yer boots. Worry yourself into an early grave. Read the press, dip your bread.

Me, I will, on the other hand, be everybody's little ray of sunshine. I'm fully vaccinated, I dont worry with what, and the sun is shining. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the Thai government, it's figures or 'long covid'. I can't worry about Timor Leste or anywhere I havent been.

I'd even crack a beer but I gave that up a year ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poolie said:

You are entitled to be as gloomy and doomy as you see fit. Revel in it, enjoy, fill yer boots. Worry yourself into an early grave. Read the press, dip your bread.

Me, I will, on the other hand, be everybody's little ray of sunshine. I'm fully vaccinated, I dont worry with what, and the sun is shining. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about the Thai government, it's figures or 'long covid'. I can't worry about Timor Leste or anywhere I havent been.

I'd even crack a beer but I gave that up a year ago.

I'm not gloomy. Just realistic.

I'm not pretending it doesn't exist, am careful (because whether you're vaccinated or not, you're not as safe as before) and am considerate to others too as you may still carry and transfer the virus even if you are protected yourself.

I'm not losing any sleep over it. On the other hand, these discussions are helpful to others who get too much misinformation.

And you're not as unbothered as you claim or a pure ray of sunshine, or you wouldn't be in these topics 🤔😉

Enjoy your mocktail.

• Cool 1