British man convicted of refusing to wear a mask, harassing police, to be deported from Singapore

Thaiger

A British man has been sentenced to 6 weeks in a Singaporean jail following his appearance on a train without a mask, and his harassment of police. Singaporean officials confirmed the man’s jail term today. As the man already served time in jail for the offence, he will be deported from the city-state instead of serving more jail time. 40 year old Benjamin Glynn was arrested after footage caught him maskless on a train in Singapore last May. The incident went viral. Benjamin was reportedly uncooperative when police came to arrest him. He also declined to wear a mast during […]

The post British man convicted of refusing to wear a mask, harassing police, to be deported from Singapore appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

A British man has been sentenced to 6 weeks in a Singaporean jail following his appearance on a train without a mask, and his harassment of police. Singaporean officials confirmed the man’s jail term today. As the man already served time in jail for the offence, he will be deported from the city-state instead of serving more jail time. 40 year old Benjamin Glynn was arrested after footage caught him maskless on a train in Singapore last May. The incident went viral. Benjamin was reportedly uncooperative when police came to arrest him. He also declined to wear a mast during […]

The post British man convicted of refusing to wear a mask, harassing police, to be deported from Singapore appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Serves him right, rules are rules and if they are in place to protect people then he should think of others not just himself.

The arrogance or stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze. Having rights and protesting your beliefs which run counter to local laws in your own country is one thing. To do it in a foreign country is either arrogant or stupidity in the extreme. 

• Like 11
  • Cool 1

It's not his country.. nobody cares his thoughts on masks working or not .. if they say wear a mask then follow their rules.. similar to the anti mask wearers here that wear it under their nose like a little boy that's not pulled his pants up far enough! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Benjamin was arrested a few weeks before he was set to go back to Britain and start a new job.

I do not know who pays for deportment.....but article says he was headed back to England....maybe looking for a free trip?

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

these kind of people make other cultures hate us...

I do agree with what you are saying. But surely that’s racist isn’t it if you judge an entire race or culture based on the actions of a few? Oh no, what am I saying. That only applies if it’s a white westerner who makes such judgement about foreigners. 😉

• Like 2

A few days ago I got in a heated debate on the "other forum" about mask wearing. My position is this: We are guests in a foreign country and need to abide by the laws whether you like them or not. The law says we are to wear a mask at all times when outside (even when riding a pushbike). Now, I've tried to find out exactly what authoritative body decreed this and can't find the actual law. Anyway, there are some in that group that refuse to accept it, basically saying "Muh FREEDOMS will not be infringed upon cuz I don't feel I should obey these laws." They make us all look bad.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

It's not his country.. nobody cares his thoughts on masks working or not .. if they say wear a mask then follow their rules.. similar to the anti mask wearers here that wear it under their nose like a little boy that's not pulled his pants up far enough! 

Oh yes - under the nose is WAY more stupid than not at all - my wife rushes to hold my arms by my side everytime I see one of the morons !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HappyExpat said:

A few days ago I got in a heated debate on the "other forum" about mask wearing. My position is this: We are guests in a foreign country and need to abide by the laws whether you like them or not. The law says we are to wear a mask at all times when outside (even when riding a pushbike). Now, I've tried to find out exactly what authoritative body decreed this and can't find the actual law. Anyway, there are some in that group that refuse to accept it, basically saying "Muh FREEDOMS will not be infringed upon cuz I don't feel I should obey these laws." They make us all look bad.

Spot on - the bottom line is if they were asking you to tie your legs together everytime you went out and drag a 50lb wrecking ball behind you, you might rally against that as its a major pain in the arse, but they're asking you to wear a mask the 10 minutes you're in bloody tescos, it MIGHT be useful to yourself but DOES reassure others and at some point will stop you getting a smack in the mouth - so f***ing wear it you spoilt little bastards! 

(Not you HE haha)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just reading this I've also seen him on the internet arguing his case definitely not the full shilling wouldn't be surprised if he was aligned to various left wing groups back in the UK he comes across as the type.

He needed to have some matters and remember he was a guest in that Country.

I hope after a few weeks banged up In a Singapore nick getting probed in the shower and contracting various exotic diseases and COVID19 he will on his release realise the error off his ways.

20 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Oh yes - under the nose is WAY more stupid than not at all - my wife rushes to hold my arms by my side everytime I see one of the morons !

Between the road rage verbiage   and  the people who don't practice mitigation, my wife is apprehensive whether  to be in the car with me.

43 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I do agree with what you are saying. But surely that’s racist isn’t it if you judge an entire race or culture based on the actions of a few? Oh no, what am I saying. That only applies if it’s a white westerner who makes such judgement about foreigners. 😉

I think you misunderstand me

Having watched the video, i'm of the opinion the guy got everything he deserved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Paco said:

I think you misunderstand me

I’m not sure I do @Paco  I was trying to be sarcastic and facetious. I wasn’t implying racism. 
I do however find it odd that westerners seem to get the rough end of the stick no matter which end we grab it. When we go to a foreign country we are expected (and usually do) adhere to local laws and respect local customs. We accept the restrictions and understand it’s not our country. Then when we are in our own country we have to see foreigners arrive illegally. They then claim “they have rights” and woe-betide anyone who questions their actions or those rights. If you do then you are labeled racist. Anyway, rant over! 😂😂 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

Between the road rage verbiage   and  the people who don't practice mitigation, my wife is apprehensive whether  to be in the car with me.

I used to be a road rager until my wife told me 90% of thais have a gun in the glove box.

True story - I was playing golf with someone once and someone jokingly said I wish someone would shoot those ***** in front, who were being slow, a thai friend went to his bag and took a gun out and said there you go, you do it ! It was fully loaded ! Mental.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I get it, rules are rules, but why is Singapore always so over the top with certain punishments? 

Just looked up something about their laws. 

If there's a law that tells you to pay up to 1k$ for chewing gum littering, better watch out with anything else that could make sense to be punished for. 

Screenshot_20210819_204353.thumb.jpg.ef1727333d44c4606447613c60403ed8.jpgAnd a law that says you may not be naked in your own home? What are they going to do? Pull random people out of their home naked? How does sex work? 

What if you're gay, chewing gum, smoking, while using someone else's wifi, shitting very loud after 10pm, naked and then not flush the toilet? Will you get the death penalty? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BainaiThai said:

I do not know who pays for deportment.....but article says he was headed back to England....maybe looking for a free trip?

My understanding is the person being deported has to pay.  If they can't pay, they get to to spend their time in a Singapore prison (accommodations compliments of Singapore). 😬

This guy may be a prick but he’s got a point. These masks are absolutely useless and should be dropped. I am all for following rules, but these covid rules only bring you one step closer to a tyranny especially when there are counter arguments to masks working.

Edited by Wearefree
Change
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I get it, rules are rules, but why is Singapore always so over the top with certain punishments? 

Just looked up something about their laws. 

If there's a law that tells you to pay up to 1k$ for chewing gum littering, better watch out with anything else that could make sense to be punished for. 

Screenshot_20210819_204353.thumb.jpg.ef1727333d44c4606447613c60403ed8.jpgAnd a law that says you may not be naked in your own home? What are they going to do? Pull random people out of their home naked? How does sex work? 

What if you're gay, chewing gum, smoking, while using someone else's wifi, shitting very loud after 10pm, naked and then not flush the toilet? Will you get the death penalty? 

Wow - I think Singapore is my spiritual home ! Chewing gum littering should be life imprisonment ! and the rest are genius.

(shocked that being gay in Singapore is illegal but if it guarantees I will never bump into Will Young, I can live with that!)

PS Don't fret, sex in your home is ok unless you do it walking ?!

3 minutes ago, Wearefree said:

This guy may be a prick but he’s got a point. These masks are absolutely useless and should be dropped. I am all for following rules, but these covid rules only bring you one step closer to a tyranny especially when there are counter arguments to masks not working.

Oh no! There is nothing 'tyrannical' about wearing a bleedin mask!

My friend, there is a conspiracy theory group over on Covid corner - might want to take this over there?

Edited by Benroon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1