Smoked Bacon...šŸ„“

Faraday

Up until recently, I was buying 1kg packs of Makro smoked bacon. Unfortunately, I have noticed that the quality varies too much & it contains a lot of extra fat.

Can anyone recommend an online shop, that they have used?

It's my intention to eventually smoke my own bacon, but don't have the time to devote to it yet.

Ā 

Where are you and what quantity do you need?

Ā 

Friends make their own bacon and hams. A piece of cake and pork loins are as cheap as chips from Makro. Only one has tried to smoke their bacon.

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Up until recently, I was buying 1kg packs of Makro smoked bacon. Unfortunately, I have noticed that the quality varies too much & it contains a lot of extra fat.

Can anyone recommend an online shop, that they have used?

It's my intention to eventually smoke my own bacon, but don't have the time to devote to it yet.

I totally recommend you try it yourself. I (egged on by my neighbor) just tried my hand at pastrami. It's basically cow-bacon with extra seasonings and when it came out of its two-week long brining kind of looked and smelled like bacon. I smoked it (8 hrs in a 100C gas grill) on Sunday and steamed it for sandwiches (accompanied by my instigator neighbor). A. Mazing. So much better than the commercial stuff in the stores.

I was honestly surprised by how easy it was. 10 minutes to prep the brine and get it pickling. 15 minutes (over 8 hours) to rinse,. Another 15 minutes to mix and apply the spice rub. And probably a half hour (over eight hours) to tend the smoke.

Bacon is probably going to be my next attempt.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Where are you and what quantity do you need?

Friends make their own bacon and hams. A piece of cake and pork loins are as cheap as chips from Makro. Only one has tried to smoke their bacon.

In Nongbualamphu, maybe 2/3 kgs of Bacon.

55 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

We buy TG bacon and ham from Makro or BigC for consistent quality.Ā  There are many smokehouses around Thailand and they will send by courier.Ā  This one in Chiang Mai :Ā https://www.facebook.com/chiangmaismokehouse/

Makro in NBL seemed to have stopped TG & Roy bacon.

Don't have a BigC here unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, Faraday said:

In Nongbualamphu, maybe 2/3 kgs of Bacon.

Ā 

Probably a bit too far to send stuff from Pattaya.Ā 

Ā 

When I had a restaurant in Buriram I had all my meat sent up from Bangkok/Pattaya.

Ā 

Colineil is near Khon Kaen, I am not sure what he does for meat supplies.

9 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Makro in NBL seemed to have stopped TG & Roy bacon.

Don't have a BigC here unfortunately.

Should have read TGM, sorry.Ā  Yes Makro are phasing out anything that CP can supply.Ā  Their HoReCa cheeses are absolutely disgusting so I'm not surprised the bacon is poor.

Order on FB from my link above and have it delivered by FAST or similar courier ... cheaper than ThaiPost.

Just now, Chaimai said:

Probably a bit too far to send stuff from Pattaya.Ā 

When I had a restaurant in Buriram I had all my meat sent up from Bangkok/Pattaya.

Colineil is near Khon Kaen, I am not sure what he does for meat supplies.

Bacon bought locally, smoked streaky, pretty good, get some things from Siamburis.

Local big C have some fairly decent beef, buy it when it has yellow stickers on.šŸ˜œ

Just now, colinneil said:

Bacon bought locally, smoked streaky, pretty good, get some things from Siamburis.

Local big C have some fairly decent beef, buy it when it has yellow stickers on.šŸ˜œ

Ā 

Ā 

I heard you took your own supply of yellow stickers....šŸ˜‰

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

https://www.sloanes.co.th/

Premium meats delivered to your door. They deliver nationwide via a selection of trusted couriers,

They charge 500 baht for delivery and this includes overnight delivery to your door in an insulated box with ice packs/ dry ice. Free delivery on orders over 7,000 baht

Edited by Ubon2530
  • Like 2

The trouble with the bacon bought at Makro is that it is full of water, by the time it is cooked it shrinks to about a quarter of its size.

Started curing it myself, only takes 5 days to wet cure, never been keen of smoked bacon. I cured about 6 kilos last time, lasts for a while. Makro do some nice belly pork, a great choice at about 180 baht a kilo.Ā 

• Like 3

On 8/18/2021 at 6:11 AM, colinneil said:

Do they not get stuck in your teeth ?

• Haha 2