Thaiger Talk Quiz #285 - Suvarnabhumi Airport

BigHewer

Quiz #285 - Just about every regular visitor to Thailand has some experience with (and an opinion on) Suvarnabhumi Airport. How much do you know? Enjoy the quiz, folks and feel free to share any stories about the airport. Also, let us know how you get on in the quiz.

1.thumb.jpg.c2bbb64604295b3dc4db36de434089ac.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.7758daffb3b512e76f36d1e485d6949d.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.dc6726b745eeffac94a57b7c89e17fe4.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.6852a8e7450962ab67e2fa5b4d78e98d.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.c63f85345b535701ce479c4f2db6a1b6.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.f5ac83be20205c9b2c8b430995b1167a.jpg

And here are the answers...

7.thumb.jpg.7be289b0007b9d52bdb1c44d441de1c7.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.d653c38ebe1d6d8daac43c92ef627ca6.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.5171cbb5f2e8e1b6be93ee8173c449e6.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.22dbcce1bd35bb8c80a0cd3f772aae0b.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.fd4fc3db7817597d0ed63b20b5db46e4.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.e7e472c86374a1c536907da53dfc781b.jpg

11 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

What about me BH? Got no confidence in my Swampy knowledge?

3/5

Quite the contrary and I can think of a few potential topics where you’d be odds on for 5 (one in particular 😁).Β 

In aviation, Pinetree is our resident expert ✈️ (as long as nobody mentions helicopters ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Quite the contrary and I can think of a few potential topics where you’d be odds on for 5 (one in particular 😁).Β 

In aviation, Pinetree is our resident expert ✈️ (as long as nobody mentions helicopters ;)

Ah yes!

But does he know about the secret room in the Swampy basement?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

5/5

Although not a big fan of the airportΒ 

Neither am I.

Now we have direct flights from Osaka to Chiang Mai, I’ll be flying in there for the foreseeable future.

5 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

Ah yes!

But does he know about the secret room in the Swampy basement?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if he was consulted on its construction. @Pinetree ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Why? I can think of very many that are a lot worse.Β Β 

I've said it beforeΒ 

Β 

I think they dedicated too much space to Duty Free and not enough space to restaurants/dining

The restaurants aren't all that good and if you do decide to eat, they are such small spaces that you are crammed in

Β 

I really don't like the set up at the gates

Where you are in this tiny pathway until they open the lower area

And even then, I find that area uninvitingΒ 

Β 

Β 

And I find it can be really warm in the terminal by the gates

Β 

Β 

I do have one positive howeverΒ 

I love that I can get a foot massage before a long flight and I don't think you can have a better preflight experience than that

• Like 1

On 10/21/2024 at 7:03 PM, SnapDragon said:

I've been there. June 2016. Quite exciting.

Any insights to share?Β 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2024 at 3:23 PM, Pinetree said:

Why? I can think of very many that are a lot worse.Β Β 

Too vast. Seem to spend more time moving through the airport than in flight. Plane lands and it’s a 15 minute taxi until the plane stops. Then another 15 minute bus ride to the building and then another 15 minutes on the travelator to the connecting terminal. If you’re unfortunate enough to disembarking at BKK it’s normally another 15 minutes at immigration. And you don’t ever want to be in the cancelled flight queue. I endured that once and waited an hour and half to processed. These days I give suvharnabhumi a wide berth, preferring to go through KL to get to my final destination.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Any insights to share?Β 

Certainly have. Can only get in if one is a low-level worker or a poor, scruffy looking farang.

No fancy stuff. No hammocks. No music. No wellies or bare feet though. No wifi; although that might have changed since I was last there. No one selling lottery tickets.

In short; a true Swampy treasure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

Certainly have. Can only get in if one is a low-level worker or a poor, scruffy looking farang.

No fancy stuff. No hammocks. No music. No wellies or bare feet though. No wifi; although that might have changed since I was last there. No one selling lottery tickets.

In short; a true Swampy treasure.

Kansai Airport used to have a β€˜secret’ basement before it was renovated, a scruffy area with a shop and eateries presumably for staff. No so much inaccessible, just not signposted at all.

A lot of big airports must have them I would think.

• Like 1

Just looked up the size of the airport area wise to confirm my suspicions. Turns out Suvarnabhumi airport is the 10th largest in the world coming in at about 32 square kms.

The largest is in Saudi Arabia at 776 square kms. Hard to fathom really. You could be flying for an hour and not yet left the airport!

4 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

Just looked up the size of the airport area wise to confirm my suspicions. Turns out Suvarnabhumi airport is the 10th largest in the world coming in at about 32 square kms.

The largest is in Saudi Arabia at 776 square kms. Hard to fathom really. You could be flying for an hour and not yet left the airport!

Some airports in the US, you land and then are driving to the gate foreverΒ 

Β 

Β 

My home airport, VancouverΒ 

I honestly don't know how they do it

Tons of flights in and out of Vancouver and you land and are at the gate in usually less than 5mins

Β 

Β 

• Like 1