News Forum - Riding Thailand’s iconic Tuk Tuks: A local guide for foreigners

Thaiger

If you’re new to Thailand, one thing that might pop into your mind is the iconic tuk tuk, the three-wheeled, open-air vehicle buzzing around cities like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. Tuk tuks are more than just transport, they’re a cultural experience, giving you a close-up view of the vibrant streets. But before you hop … …

The story Riding Thailand’s iconic Tuk Tuks: A local guide for foreigners as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Tuk tuks eh? Been there done that. Firstly, they’re a rip off. Secondly, they are noisy. Thirdly, they are smelly. And fourthly, the fellow driving them is a maniac. There are plenty of better cultural experiences in Thailand as there are plenty of better ways of navigating the cities. If you want a better suggestion for BKK, try the river taxi, it’s cheap, quick and a completely different experience. If not, hail a Grab.

• Like 1

They should bring in the EV tuk tuk like the use in Vientiane.... Excellent machines and fares there were even cheaper than their petrol tuk tuk. 

Download an app and you get a quoted fare... Magic! 

Tuk Tuk's anywhere there is even a moderate level of traffic you can keep as far as I am concerned and certainly not in Bangkok where you choke on traffic fumes for the whole journey! Outside these areas where the traffic is light they are tolerable and often reasonably priced though still with the big disadvantage if like me you are tall that due to the design of them you cannot see anything. 

4 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Tuk tuks eh? Been there done that. Firstly, they’re a rip off. Secondly, they are noisy. Thirdly, they are smelly. And fourthly, the fellow driving them is a maniac. There are plenty of better cultural experiences in Thailand as there are plenty of better ways of navigating the cities. If you want a better suggestion for BKK, try the river taxi, it’s cheap, quick and a completely different experience. If not, hail a Grab.

I would say Tuk Tuks are still up there as something new visitors want to try

Tuk tuks were invaluable to me when I lived in Patong and had my dog

And even now....

Been a couple of times I've driven my MB and drank too much and have had the bar call a tuk tuk to take me home

Many times with the driver bringing someone to drive my MB so I don't have to go back and get it the next day