Gerd Müller

Dedinbed

Announced earlier today by his former club Bayern Munich that ace striker Gerd Müller aka " Der Bomber " has passed away aged 75 .. 

The term legend has been hung on many footballers down the years but if anyone is deserving of it then Gerd Müller has to be in there .. 

51 goals in 31 games for 1861 Nördinglen during the 63/64 season were enough to convince Bayern to sign him where he scored 398 in 453 games over 15 season's before winding down his career in Fort Lauderdale with 38 from 71 .. it is his international career with West Germany as they were then that he really excelled with a phenomenal 68 goals in 62 games including top scorer at the 1970 World Cup , scoring the winner in the 74 final against Holland and holding the outright W C scoring record for 32 yrs .. 

Failing health meant he has been seen little in public in recent yrs but during his time in the limelight he was cited by many of his peers including Pele as one of the greatest to play the game .. 

IMG_20210815_140931.jpg

• Like 1

Der Bomber, outstanding player who had great balance and awareness in the penalty box. I based my own game on his 55.

When I worked in Germany he was never out of the press, liked his booze, very similar to talented ex  players from UK.

• Like 2

One of the best ever. Every time we hear about Lewandowski approaching or breaking some Bundesliga or BM scoring record, it belongs to Gerd Müller.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigHewer said:

One of the best ever. Every time we hear about Lewandowski approaching or breaking some Bundesliga or BM scoring record, it belongs to Gerd Müller.

Yes I see Lewandowski broke his record of 40 goals in a season that stood for near 50 yrs only at the end of last season .. 

To put into context G M's achievements , Pele scored 680 from 723 while Müller had 662 from 724 .. 

Of today's crop Ronaldo has 524 from 716 and little Lionel 515 from 613 .. 

Edited by Dedinbed
Sp
  • Like 1