News Forum - Down under or Thai? Aussie mum trades Oz for Land of Smiles

Thaiger

What would you do if the dream of owning your home seemed to be slipping away? For one Aussie mum, the solution was packing up her family and heading for exotic shores, trading Oz for the Land of Smiles. Natalie Coulson, a 45 year old mother of one, had enough of Sydney’s spiralling property market. … …

The story Down under or Thai? Aussie mum trades Oz for Land of Smiles as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

11 hours ago, Polkadot said:

$920 a week is a lot for Thailand. Silly duffers could rent for $920 a month and save lots. You can even rent a large suite in hotel for that price with free cleaning.

Forget about that

The fact they are buying a house for 27mil baht as a ufrastructure is crazy to me

Spending that much money and leasing the land is insane to me

11 hours ago, Polkadot said:

$920 a week is a lot for Thailand. Silly duffers could rent for $920 a month and save lots. You can even rent a large suite in hotel for that price with free cleaning.

You can easily get a great house in a great location for 20,000 per month. These people are muppets.

45 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Forget about that

The fact they are buying a house for 27mil baht as a ufrastructure is crazy to me

Spending that much money and leasing the land is insane to me

I spent a year in Phuket back in 2012 and the property prices are nuts. The last place where I would buy a house.

These people aren’t lacking confidence and they’re definitely putting their money where their mouth is. Good luck to them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skip said:

Plenty of jealous muppets here ready to give advise on living on the cheap... 555555

Green with envy.

The issue isn't really about how much money they have, but how they are spending it. Reading this article, it seems these people are making very sudden and costly decisions without really knowing what they are getting themselves into, or the implications.

Home ownership in most cities in Australia is expensive but the 1.2 mill they’re dropping for a house in Phuket, would get you a house in most suburbs in Sydney- just not Manly or the harbour suburbs. So whilst home ownership is on the decline in Australia this couple don’t meet the criteria for ‘unable to get a foothold in the market.

The nanny state comment is true. However it has its pros as well as its cons. As I’m sure they’ll find out living here long enough.

2 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

The issue isn't really about how much money they have, but how they are spending it. Reading this article, it seems these people are making very sudden and costly decisions without really knowing what they are getting themselves into, or the implications.

With risk comes reward.

3 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

With risk comes reward.

I wholeheartedly agree. However, with Thailand come much more risks for foreigners, expecially in an enclave such as Phuket were you have companies who will sell you a "turnkey dream property" without necessarily giving you all the info. Perhaps these people are very astute and have competent lawyers advising them and everything is solid, howewer reading the article it looks like they have just compared figures on paper, drawn their conclusions and decided to go all-in on a whim.

The fact that they so casually dismiss the fact that they don't own the land they are on is a big red flag and could potentially cause big problems. This is Thailand, there are pitfalls to look for and it seems these people don't know what they are getting themselves into. But I certainly wish them well.