Medics want ban on vaccine exports, legal experts warn against it

Thaiger

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree with what you are saying in principle @Mike. But would you have accepted a clause like that if you were buying vaccines from them? It’s like signing a contract to buy umbrellas from an Indian supplier in the monsoon season who stipulates they will not export if there is heavy rain in India !! 
Clearly Thailand was going to have a need for vaccines just like every other country in the world. I know I wouldn’t be accepting such terms. It would be negligent and odd that any country would accept terms like that. 

@Soidog of course there is always another side to the negotiation, that is true. And since we weren’t “in the room” when it happened, we will never know what was attempted or what the arguments were. 

I’m only stating what was possible. Keep in mind at the time this happened, Siam Bioscience had some negotiating power in that 1) there are a limited number of facilities capable of producing these vaccines, 2) the global demand was so great that every possible production facility was needed, and 3) Thailand, at the time, was closer to the top of the list of countries in terms of handling the pandemic.

Anyway… we will never know.

• Like 2