News Forum - British man dies in Chon Buri motorcycle crash

Thaiger

7 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Very interesting… The comments under the video are interesting too.

As for exercise… Well, women in those days typically had 3 kids to take care of and a whole house to keep. The average couple in the 2020s, working behind a computer in an apartment, with between 0 and 1 child, has more time and inclination to go to the gym, definitely.

Which of these models is better is up for debate…

I know your little right wing opinion is seeping in here. 😀

That's ok. 😀

Most of my friends/young family have 2-3 kids and all the wives(and husbands) go to the gym

People are just more active, even with what they do with their kids, than in the 70/80's

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's ok. 😀

Most of my friends/young family have 2-3 kids and all the wives(and husbands) go to the gym

People are just more active, even with what they do with their kids, than in the 70/80's

People are less active now hence obsesity.

4 hours ago, Polkadot said:

So if it's not old then riding motorbikes fast is fine then.

Make up your mind.

Another dumb sentence.  What has age and speed got to do with each other?  Some of the most proficient and skilled riders on the road are in their 60s and 70s and some of the most dangerous and unskilled are most likely teenagers and twenty somethings.  Your ignorance is profound. 

2 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Another dumb sentence.  What has age and speed got to do with each other?  Some of the most proficient and skilled riders on the road are in their 60s and 70s and some of the most dangerous and unskilled are most likely teenagers and twenty somethings.  Your ignorance is profound. 

If you say so. You sound old and bitter.

1 hour ago, Polkadot said:

People are less active now hence obsesity.

That is just objectively false, by any metric

You guys just say shit to match your agenda with zero facts

Gym memberships are astronomically higher now than in the 70's and 80's

https://www.theledger.com/story/news/2006/06/13/gyms-not-as-much-of-a-meat-market-as-they-were-in-the-70s-and-80s/25830297007/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/236123/us-fitness-center-health-club-memberships/

So back to the real factual world .....

Millions more people work out and belong to gyms now than in the 70/80/90's

On 10/6/2024 at 8:36 PM, Marc26 said:

I've had 3 accidents on MB, not big bikes

1st one I was just inexperienced 

The last two I was driving like an assh*le and way too fast

The last one, about 6 years ago I really was driving like an idiot and I probably should have gotten seriously hurt

I didn't luckily 

Now, slow and steady and no need to go fast

Yeah mate, you got lucky and I am glad you have learned your lesson now, no need to go fast indeed cause you will always arrive at the other end eventually. No later than last week a 70 years old ex-pat crashed into the bridge going out of the village, died later in hospital, he was very drunk. 2 years ago a 17 years old local died in front of me after crashing to a car coming the opposite way, he was driving his bike...well like a 17 years old local. The roads on the island are so dangerous (well I believe you know), still too many people drive like idiots and the result is an hecatomb all year every year, of course far worse during the high season and the arrival of a mass of inexperienced and drunk drivers, I can hear ambulances driving up and down the road 24/7.

Indeed slow and steady, dying because of driving like an idiot is such pointless and stupid way to go.

40 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

https://www.theledger.com/story/news/2006/06/13/gyms-not-as-much-of-a-meat-market-as-they-were-in-the-70s-and-80s/25830297007/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/236123/us-fitness-center-health-club-memberships/

Gyms 5555

Lots of people join then rarely use them. Plus they drive there and back. Your argument is rubbish.

39 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But they do it to compensate their sedentary lifestyle, that has to be factored in as well.

My grandad was a docker all his life, the last thing he wanted to do when he clocked out was hit a treadmill 😁

42 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Gyms 5555

https://www.who.int/news/item/22-11-2019-new-who-led-study-says-majority-of-adolescents-worldwide-are-not-sufficiently-physically-active-putting-their-current-and-future-health-at-risk

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's ok. 😀

Okay, well perhaps that is another American/European difference. Most people my age or younger whom I know (I am in my mid-forties) have between 0 and 1 child and this is an undeniable societal evolution, one of the factors of which is that having kids is not presented as an obvious, natural or desirable thing to do, with more focus on entertainment and self-gratification, "freedom" and lots of individuality.

Just earlier today I happened to see this on my phone feed and captured it to add it here. A symptom of the times…

signal-2024-10-08-090121_002.thumb.jpeg.f7af3a63ecb062497c6e76851021433c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Gym memberships might not be the proper metric to compare obesity across the decades.

5 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Okay, well perhaps that is another American/European difference. Most people my age or younger whom I know (I am in my mid-forties) have between 0 and 1 child and this is an undeniable societal evolution, one of the factors of which is that having kids is not presented as an obvious, natural or desirable thing to do, with more focus on entertainment and self-gratification, "freedom" and lots of individuality.

Just earlier today I happened to see this on my phone feed and captured it to add it here. A symptom of the times…

signal-2024-10-08-090121_002.thumb.jpeg.f7af3a63ecb062497c6e76851021433c.jpeg

This self-extinction is having a disastrous effect on "developed" societies, and is one of the prime arguments for replacing Western (+ South Korea, Japan) populations with populations from Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, the rest of Asia.  Negative population growth, economies/welfare schemes built on an ever-growing number of workers, don't fare well when the average woman has 1 child... or less.

In the 1970s and 1980s more kids rode bikes and humans walked more. There was no internet banking. People used to walk to post office, bank etc. Public transport was less.

3 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

This self-extinction is having a disastrous effect on "developed" societies, and is one of the prime arguments for replacing Western (+ South Korea, Japan) populations with populations from Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, the rest of Asia.  Negative population growth, economies/welfare schemes built on an ever-growing number of workers, don't fare well when the average woman has 1 child... or less.

Absolutely agree with you on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Polkadot said:

Average lifespan is 74 to 84 years. So middle aged is 40 to 60. Above that you are old. A 66yo is most likely only got 10 to 20 years left.

And yet the other day you said…..

IMG_6116.png

49 minutes ago, Polkadot said:

Regular physical activity promotes both mental and physical health in people of all ages. Yet, today, more than 80% of adolescents and 27% of adults do not meet WHO’s recommended levels of physical activity. 

https://www.who.int/teams/health-promotion/physical-activity/global-status-report-on-physical-activity-2022

So.... based on that, people who reside on Pattaya must be fairly healthy and mentally stable? 

Or does that just apply to those visiting? 

I hear a lot of physical activity occurs in those parts... mainly after dark. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Polkadot said:

Depends who you compare to. 

Ah yes, silly me. A 92 year old isn’t that old compared to a 100 year old. But a 60 year old is old when compared to a 40 year old. I have to hand it to you for inventiveness.

4 minutes ago, Khunmark said:

Ah yes, silly me. A 92 year old isn’t that old compared to a 100 year old. But a 60 year old is old when compared to a 40 year old. I have to hand it to you for inventiveness.

A 50yo is old compared to a 10yo.

7 hours ago, Manu said:

Yeah mate, you got lucky and I am glad you have learned your lesson now, no need to go fast indeed cause you will always arrive at the other end eventually. No later than last week a 70 years old ex-pat crashed into the bridge going out of the village, died later in hospital, he was very drunk. 2 years ago a 17 years old local died in front of me after crashing to a car coming the opposite way, he was driving his bike...well like a 17 years old local. The roads on the island are so dangerous (well I believe you know), still too many people drive like idiots and the result is an hecatomb all year every year, of course far worse during the high season and the arrival of a mass of inexperienced and drunk drivers, I can hear ambulances driving up and down the road 24/7.

Indeed slow and steady, dying because of driving like an idiot is such pointless and stupid way to go.

Yeah

A very well-known bar owner in Phuket 

Actually owned one of the biggest Thai forums as well

His wife broke up with him and he went on a bad bender for weeks

Ended up crashing into a pole and dying

2 young kids

Just a shame....

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah

A very well-known bar owner in Phuket 

Actually owned one of the biggest Thai forums as well

His wife broke up with him and he went on a bad bender for weeks

Ended up crashing into a pole and dying

2 young kids

Just a shame....

Not a shame, just stupid and selfish. His kids will not think kindly of him. 

9 hours ago, Pinetree said:

What has age and speed got to do with each other?

The older you get the slower you ride. Reflexes are slower and you are wiser.