Can I stay if my wife is out of the country?

thaimekangaroodown

I've been living here for ~3 years on a Non-O visa with 12 month extensions based on marriage.
My wife and I will be going back to Australia in November for a month but she has gotten it into her head she wants to look for work over there and stay back.

I don't want to do it.
I work from home as a software engineer so can work from anywhere, but my salary, while high by Thai standards, is just not enough for Australia.

She is now talking about staying back and letting me return to work from here.

Am I able to stay in Thailand with my current visa if she is not here?
If I am, what do I do at 90 day reporting?

I would also assume that when it comes time for renewal again she would need to be back here.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Confused 1

. You have got that correct regarding renewal of Non O based on marriage.  She would need to be here. (Photos etc) 

Once you have been approved for another year then she would be free to travel. 

90 day reporting czn be done online after 1st visit to IO. Not sure why she would have to be here for that. 

I'd personally probably change to visa on arrival or visa exempt.  Less hassle.  Or in your predicament the new nomad visa.  Do 60 days get 30 day ext and border hop. 

10 minutes ago, NonThaiKiwi said:

. You have got that correct regarding renewal of Non O based on marriage.  She would need to be here. (Photos etc) 

Once you have been approved for another year then she would be free to travel. 

90 day reporting czn be done online after 1st visit to IO. Not sure why she would have to be here for that. 

I'd personally probably change to visa on arrival or visa exempt.  Less hassle.  Or in your predicament the new nomad visa.  Do 60 days get 30 day ext and border hop. 

And just for information, if one has a Thai child, the marriage visa can be switched to a guardian visa, that is what I did when my wife was not in Thailand once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaimekangaroodown said:

My wife and I will be going back to Australia in November for a month but she has gotten it into her head she wants to look for work over there and stay back.

Sorry, but that would immediately throw up red flags for me regards the marriage.
Does she have PR or Australian citizenship?

3 hours ago, thaimekangaroodown said:

Am I able to stay in Thailand with my current visa if she is not here?
If I am, what do I do at 90 day reporting?

Your wife has nothing to do with 90 day reporting, regardless of the reason for the extension of stay, you just continue doing them yourself.

For an extension based on Thai spouse, your wife must attend the application, and you must be in a de jure and defacto relationship. Do you currently use the 400K in a Thai bank or the 40K monthly overseas transfers?
You can change the reason for the extension from Thai spouse to retirement, provided you are 50+ and can meet the financial requirements. Which Immigration office do you use?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NonThaiKiwi said:

Very poor advice.

There is no VOA for Australian citizens and how many VE entries and 30 day extensions do you think he'd be able to make before being flagged, questioned and refused entry.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Sorry, but that would immediately throw up red flags for me regards the marriage.

Long story why, but her reasons are all sound.
She is an Australian citizen, having lived there for ~20 years before we moved over here.

Your wife has nothing to do with 90 day reporting, regardless of the reason for the extension of stay, you just continue doing them yourself.

For an extension based on Thai spouse, your wife must attend the application, and you must be in a de jure and defacto relationship. Do you currently use the 400K in a Thai bank or the 40K monthly overseas transfers?
You can change the reason for the extension from Thai spouse to retirement, provided you are 50+ and can meet the financial requirements. Which Immigration office do you use?

Thanks for the advice.
I use Nakhon Pathom Immigration and currently use the bank account balance.
I am still working, though for a company based out of Singapore.
For Retirement Visa I thought I had to have pension income rather than employee income.

Very poor advice.

Word. And I discarded it immediately. 😁

44 minutes ago, thaimekangaroodown said:

I use Nakhon Pathom Immigration and currently use the bank account balance.
I am still working, though for a company based out of Singapore.
For Retirement Visa I thought I had to have pension income rather than employee income.

I was thinking along the lines of possibly using the combination method for the retirement extension, but if you're not yet in receipt of any pension, then that only leaves the 800K in the bank method.

Failing that, for circa 20K, an agent can obtain you an extension based on retirement.

Another option is the new DTV as you're a remote worker.
You'd have to apply for that at the Thai Embassy in Australia, though.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

I was thinking along the lines of possibly using the combination method for the retirement extension, but if you're not yet in receipt of any pension, then that only leaves the 800K in the bank method.

Failing that, for circa 20K, an agent can obtain you an extension based on retirement.

Another option is the new DTV as you're a remote worker.
You'd have to apply for that at the Thai Embassy in Australia, though.

Oh...the DTV,  which I called the nomad visa. 

That's the one! 

18 hours ago, Liquorice said:

For a lot of insecure guys(and there are so many in Thailand), it would be a red flag

For people in a healthy marriage who married an independent woman, it wouldn't be.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Illegally 

The stamp is legit, but the wheels were greased to obtain it.
In desperate times, desperate measures may be called for.

I certainly don't condone corruption, but for some it's a godsend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

For a lot of insecure guys(and there are so many in Thailand), it would be a red flag

Actually, it's the Thai women who are very insecure in Thailand.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

So you do condone it

No, but for many it's a last resort due to changes in Immigration policy.

If the choice comes down to two options, get out, or use an agent, I can understand why some choose an agent.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

If the choice comes down to two options, get out, or use an agent, I can understand why some choose an agent.

Indeed, and they often have families here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Then as I say, you condone it.  If you can't meet a Country's Immigration rules, then you shouldn't be in the Country and you certainly should not be using an corrupt agent to circumvent the rules.  Use an agent for convenience, yes, but not to effectively illegally obtain an extension.  I have zero sympathy for anyone caught in such a scam, which only goes to prolong the corruption in the system. 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Then as I say, you condone it.  If you can't meet a Country's Immigration rules, then you shouldn't be in the Country and you certainly should not be using an corrupt agent to circumvent the rules.  Use an agent for convenience, yes, but not to effectively illegally obtain an extension.  I have zero sympathy for anyone caught in such a scam, which only goes to prolong the corruption in the system. 

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I also have some sympathy for those who have recently had the rug pulled from under their feet.

For many expats married, had a family and have stayed in Thailand for year using the Non Imm O ME visa, freely available at local Thai Embassies/Consulates with no financial requirements.
UK pensions as you're aware are frozen when moving to Thailand. Exchange rates have also dramatically fallen in recent years.

The writing is on the wall regarding the availability of the Non Imm O ME visa.
The requirement for 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months (same as for 1 year extensions) is now a requirement at Savannahket and whilst still available from HCMC with evidence of 20,000 BHT, they are changing to the online e-visa system next month, where the Non O ME is no longer available.

Not having a monthly income of 40K from a pension, or being in a position to deposit 400K in a Thai bank account, now leaves many looking for alternative options to remain in Thailand with their wife and families.
They made a new life and new beginnings here, with nothing left to return to in their homelands.
Some have a monthly pension income of 30K THB per month, or even less, so suddenly finding the means to save 400K in a hurry is impossible.

They are left with two choices, leave their Thai wife and family in Thailand, and they return to their homeland probably to be put in some sheltered accommodation and claim benefits for their existence, OR, for 20K an agent can obtain them a 'dodgy' extension, allowing them to remain in Thailand with their wife and Thai families.

What would you do in that situation?

I should mention I have an extension based on Thai spouse using the 400+ THB in a Thai bank method, a decent monthly income from 3 pensions and sizeable savings.
If another expat finding himself now in a predicament through changes in Immigration policies and chooses the service of an agent, it's no skin off my nose, and none of my business.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I also have some sympathy for those who have recently had the rug pulled from under their feet.

For many expats married, had a family and have stayed in Thailand for year using the Non Imm O ME visa, freely available at local Thai Embassies/Consulates with no financial requirements.
UK pensions as you're aware are frozen when moving to Thailand. Exchange rates have also dramatically fallen in recent years.

The requirement for 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months (same as for 1 year extensions) is now a requirement at Savannahket and whilst still available from HCMC with evidence of 20,000 BHT, they are changing to the online e-visa system next month, where the Non O ME is no longer available.

Not having a monthly income of 40K from a pension, or being in a position to deposit 400K in a Thai bank account, now leaves many looking for alternative options to remain in Thailand with their wife and families.
They made a new life and new beginnings here, with nothing left to return to in their homelands.
Some have a monthly pension income of 30K THB per month, or even less, so suddenly finding the means to save 400K in a hurry is impossible.

They are left with two choices, leave their Thai wife and family in Thailand, and they return to their homeland probably to be put in some sheltered accommodation and claim benefits for their existence, OR, for 20K an agent can obtain them a 'dodgy' extension, allowing them to remain in Thailand with their wife and Thai families.

I should mention I have an extension based on Thai spouse using the 400+ THB in a Thai bank method, a decent monthly income from 3 pensions and sizeable savings.
If another expat finding himself now in a predicament through changes in Immigration policies and chooses the service of an agent, it's no skin off my nose, and none of my business.

Ditto.

I am not in such a predicament myself, but have known people who were, and they are often good people raising kids.

These are tough times for many people and I have little patience for those who are quick to judge and say stupid statements such as "they should not be here". Often those making these statements are retirees who were not subjected to the dire conditions of the 2020s during their working years. And in any case they show little empathy or understanding towards those who have different circumstances  from theirs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Ditto.

I am not in such a predicament myself, but have known people who were, and they are often good people raising kids.

These are tough times for many people and I have little patience for those who are quick to judge and say stupid statements such as "they should not be here". Often those making these statements are retirees who were not subjected to the dire conditions of the 2020s during their working years. And in any case they show little empathy or understanding towards those who have different circumstances  from theirs.

Kind of an ironic post coming from a conservative who is against illegal immigration 

But I guess these illegal immigrants have the right skin color, so that's ok....

But I am an agreement that it would be no skin off my back and don't wish any ill-will or bad luck on them 

But I guess I would fall under one the people who say they shouldn't be there if they can't do it legally.

If you can't afford the pretty easy requirements for a marriage visa you shouldn't be living abroad and having kids.....IMO

Plus, so many of those guys took the easy way out

They didn't want to stay back and work and save for a proper life abroad

So then, again because they have the right skin color, we are supposed to have sympathy for them.....

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Kind of an ironic post coming from a conservative who is against illegal immigration 

But I guess these illegal immigrants have the right skin color, so that's ok....

But I am an agreement that it would be no skin off my back and don't wish any ill-will or bad luck on them 

But I guess I would fall under one the people who say they shouldn't be there if they can't do it legally.

If you can't afford the pretty easy requirements for a marriage visa you shouldn't be living abroad and having kids.....IMO

Plus, so many of those guys took the easy way out

They didn't want to stay back and work and save for a proper life abroad

So then, again because they have the right skin color, we are supposed to have sympathy for them.....

I have absolutely no idea what your ramblings are about!

Illegal immigrants were never mentioned, or are you referring to a Country other than Thailand?
What is a marriage visa, can you post an image of one?
Why reference skin colour, and what has that to do with the topic?

• Like 1

Some have a monthly pension income of 30K THB per month, or even less, 

I think the combination savings/income is still available...10000 baht in the bank and proof of 30K income or any combination that => 40K

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, BainaiThai said:

I think the combination savings/income is still available...10000 baht in the bank and proof of 30K income or any combination that => 40K

The combination method isn't and has never been allowed for extensions of stay based on Thai spouse.

It's only permitted for extensions of stay based on retirement.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The combination method isn't and has never been allowed for extensions of stay based on Thai spouse.

It's either 400K in a Thai bank account for 2 months.
12 x monthly overseas transfers, or an Embassy income letter.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You raise a lot of valid points for what I presume, is a relatively small group of expats living here, on the bread line so to speak. We can't avoid the obvious point that living outside your own citizenship country is not risk free and the longer you live elsewhere, and establish a new life, the riskier it becomes.  If you then 'compound' the risk by establishing a family and having children, you better be absolutely sure that you are financially self sufficient and  independent as a family unit. Too many people do not sufficiently understand this and do not plan ahead for changes in Thai law, immigration rules and even the attitude of the government to foreigners. It is their massive mistake not to do so. You see this when, say, a UK citizen sends his half Thai kids to appalling Thai schools and doesn't even bother to get them a British passport.  I have seen several instances of this.  How irresponsible is that, but it just goes to show how some don't know, or don't care, or think, wrongly as it turns out, that they can live like a Thai, while not having citizenship or PR. .

My move here took many years of planning.  My half Thai daughter was fully educated in the UK and Taiwan and is a British Citizen, living and working in the UK. That was planned.  I follow the immigration rules and I have bolt hole plans if it all goes txxs up at some point. I am far from being a Socialist. I made my way from a relatedly poor, 'working class'  background and I expect others to do the same, or at least try. I don't expect the State to bail me out and I'm not particularly sympathetic to those who do expect it, when it was in their own hands not to be in that position. 

So, back to the main point.  Yes I understand, yes, within my limited empathy abilities I may sypathise with those who find themselves in that position, but It will only get worse for them, not better, so they better have a plan to deal with, not only what is, but what may well be coming. A dodgy agent is not the answer. 

• Like 1