News Forum - DES Ministry to hold banks, telecoms accountable for online scams

Thaiger

The Digital Economy and Society Ministry (DES) is set to amend regulations to hold banks and telecom operators accountable if they are found negligent in addressing online scams, according to DES permanent secretary Wisit Wisitsora-At. Wisit made the new regulation announcement, yesterday, September 19, during the 60 Years of Excellence: Creating Great Leaders, Designing the … …

The story DES Ministry to hold banks, telecoms accountable for online scams as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

28 minutes ago, NonThaiKiwi said:

About bloody time.  It already occurs in the West

It's a worldwide problem, in France there have been sad stories of people losing their entire life savings because of elaborate scams. We're not talking about an "email from a Nigerian prince" type of thing, but very crafty and realistic processes, using sophisticated means where the bank staff were being impersonated, phones and emails hacked. The bank then tells them they are not responsible and want nothing to do with it, it isn't on.

• Like 1

It's occurring everywhere like you say.  Old folk in NZ are targeted all the time. 

There have been national announcements and news articles to make them more aware. Banks make announcements and send emails highlighting safe practises. 

Hell even I got hit in the last 2 months. And I am very wary/safe with both my NZ bank transactions. Luckily I got everything back. 

Spotted the second hit prior to any funds moving and quickly froze the account. 

I'd love to catch these a'holes... 

• Like 2

As said it is a worldwide problem and really needs a worldwide solution. A lot of the call center scammers operate out of India and China and the authorities there need to step up too.