News Forum - Pet peeve turns deadly: Feud erupts in central Thailand bloodbath

Thaiger

A bitter, months-long dispute over pets exploded into shocking violence in Pathum Thani’s Khlong Luang district yesterday, leaving a retired army officer and his neighbour dead in a bloody confrontation. Police rushed to the scene at a housing estate in tambon Khlong Sam yesterday, September 8, around 7.30am, where they discovered the lifeless bodies of … …

The story Pet peeve turns deadly: Feud erupts in central Thailand bloodbath as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

You can't control cats, unless they are strictly 'inside cats' . But you had better control your dogs. Thais seem to be particularly bad at pet dog control. My two dogs are 'controlled', Not left alone to bark after dark, not even in their own garden and not allowed to wander. I got them to be pets, not guard dogs, although good luck if anyone tries to get into the house when they are around.  The smallest one hates everyone, except her sibling and her human Mum and Dad. 

• Like 3

In one of our rented properties, in a gated village, the neighbours had a dog that constantly woke me up during the night. After a bit of an argument, resolved by the Thais involved with lots of wais etc etc, it became very clear that there were cats roaming the village who were being fed by various people. Those cats were causing the dog problems at night, and if you know cats they are little sheites and they will tease dogs by walking on the walls and gates. Anyway, after obtaining a cat trap cage and 'relocating' several cats to far away locations, the dog stopped barking at night - problem solved (until more stray cats move in).  We left that village 2 months before the lease was due - I knew we would not get the 2 months deposit back anyway.  

It looks to me in this situation, that the problem was more the cat causing the dog to bark a lot, than the cat entering the other property and khrapping in their garden (as they do).  Although dogs are a problem in Thailand everywhere, IMO the cats are more of a problem in gated communities. Try buying kitty litter at any shop here - most Thais dont use it - they just let their cats out to roam as if they are on a farm. If any cats come near this house and cause me or any local dogs problems, they will be taking a drive far far away (and not coming back).

Most people are either cat or dog people.  Dogs can be trained and owned.  Cats not so much. 

I'm a dog person and detest cat krap anywhere near my home.  I'll start dry retching if I ever smell it. 

Although I don't hate cats, if they're not about that's ok by me.  Dogs no matter how vicious they may look don't bother me. 

I can judge which are approachable and those you leave alone. 

Getting back on topic...  this is way over the top. A dogs yard is just that.  Fair game if any other animal crosses it. 

We have 2 adopted dogs, they aren't vicious at all but are great watchdogs.  Anything that comes into the yard, we are alerted. More so after dark. 

Great with snakes and once even found a large turtle!