News Forum - Nationwide daily minimum wage to be raised to 400 baht tomorrow

Thaiger

Labour Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn confirmed plans to raise the daily minimum wage to 400 baht nationwide starting tomorrow, September 10, despite echoing concerns that the increase could negatively impact businesses. Phiphat announced that after discussions with business operators and a thorough study by a subcommittee from the Ministry of Labour, the decision to implement the … …

The story Nationwide daily minimum wage to be raised to 400 baht tomorrow as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Long overdue, sadly there will still be millions of illegal workers in Thailand getting half of this wage!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Long overdue, sadly there will still be millions of illegal workers in Thailand getting half of this wage!

That is true and of course unfair, but, compare to the UK, where illegals are paid to do no work and housed in up rated accommodation, fed and watered,  well, here, at least they can make some kind of living, even though they have entered illegally. But yes, still unfair.  

• Like 1

Yes I think there is a lot of that going on around the world. 

Find a welfare state/country, plead poverty/asylum.... and then sit on your ass and watch all the freebies come in.  After a few years then invite your family/relatives to come stay. 

They aren't silly these free loaders, where by the working class can to bugger all about it... Other than voting out these morons that let all the leeches into the country. 

OK rant over... I've never been to the UK and from recent reports I doubt that I ever will. 

Heading back to NZ soon to sort out the missus permanent residency... should Thailand turn to crap in the future it will give her an option.

NZ has its problems too.  I like the place but it's too expensive to live there.  You work to live and not much else. 

• Like 2

the new minimum wage policy should apply to companies or factories with at least 200 workers.

Meanwhile, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with fewer than 200 employees will not be required to increase wages immediately.

This rule is only for those bigger international establishments. How many local companies are having a labour force which is more than 200. Very few, even if more than 200, they will split them into different companies under one roof. This is just not going to help most of the labour force. Still the pay would be just belos 350 baht per day as there are many immigrants who are willing to take-up the job. I am yet to see any local employer being punished heavily for employing illegal immigrants in the country. So it is just for the paper and news only as an announcement. May be in BKK it might be enforced, but beyond that.....I have my reservations. 

• Like 1

If they are prepared to share it, I would be interested to know how much expats pay their casual workers, doing domestic stuff?  I pay my gardener 800 Baht every two weeks for, basically,  half a days work. The handy man I use gets 600 Baht for an 8 hour day, plus the odd top up. Pool cleaning seems to come out at 1,500 Baht per clean, which takes around 2 hours.  I clean the pool myself, as that seems expensive to me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

the new minimum wage policy should apply to companies or factories with at least 200 workers.

So basically most employers will not be under any obligation to pay the new wage, what a complete waste of time a minimum wage MUST be for all workers or it is NOT a minimum wage!

• Like 1