News Forum - RTA denies overpricing claims on mess trays purchase

Thaiger

The Royal Thai Army (RTA) firmly denied accusations from the People’s Party (PP) regarding the alleged overpricing of mess trays. These claims were presented during the scrutiny phase of the national budget expenditure bill earlier this week. The opposition party accused the army of allocating an excessive portion of its budget to purchase approximately 10,000 … …

The story RTA denies overpricing claims on mess trays purchase as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Only the best is good enough for these lads. After all they might have to fight in a war soon.

Can buy similar trays from China at less than 100 baht a throw. Not the same metal thickness as the ones ordered though. But maybe do the job OK.

What about plastic trays? simply chuck them in the street when they get worn out.

No doubt the RTA is up to its usual financial shenanigans but it’s nice the scrutiny is forcing them to be less blatant and having to explain themselves. 

I would be very surprised if someone didn't get a little sweetener on the deal as that would seem to be the norm in government spending and not just in Thailand but doubt anything will ever be proven!

I actually back the Army on this one.  You get what you pay for.  Better quality and more durability. 

They will last a lot longer so cheaper in the long run. 

Many years ago when I was a procurement manager for a workshop I asked a mechanic what was his biggest gripe.  He said poor quality tools. 

I did some research and found the company was doing 3 quotes and always took the cheapest.  The product bought was inferior Chinese crapola. 

I changed the way procurement was done and asked the mechanics for their opinion on various brands. 

With that knowledge we ended up buying quality tools that cost twice the price but lasted at least 3 times longer. 

It was a win win. 

• Like 2

Good quality plastic is the way to go. Metal has had its day. Must move with the times.

These bods love spending other people's dosh.

Actually Snap, I think this country has enough plastic already. 

Most of the rubbish you see is plastic and of course all shop owners have a love affair with plastic bags. 

I won't get into the environmental argument... I think we've all heard enough of that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

Good quality plastic is the way to go. Metal has had its day. Must move with the times.

These bods love spending other people's dosh.

You get what you pay for, buy cheap you get cheap, buy plastic for food use and it great for single use but rubbish for multiple uses.