News Forum - Rising tourism in Thailand to boost sluggish motorcycle market

Thaiger

Increased tourism activity later this year is anticipated to boost Thailand’s domestic motorcycle market, which has experienced sluggish sales in the first seven months of 2024, according to the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI). Surapong Paisitpatanapong, Vice-Chairman of the FTI and spokesperson for its Automotive Industry Club, stated that the number of foreign tourist arrivals … …

The story Rising tourism in Thailand to boost sluggish motorcycle market as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

“Tourism activities earlier this year have shown that many foreign tourists enjoy riding motorcycles when visiting the country, contributing to increased motorcycle production.”

Conveniently forgetting that well over half of those tourists do not have the full motorcycle licence required to legally ride a motorcycle in Thailand.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Conveniently forgetting that well over half of those tourists do not have the full motorcycle licence required to legally ride a motorcycle in Thailand.

Not half...it is nearly 80% of those tourists who visit Thailand either don't have licence at all or do not have the international driving permit. The best part is a considerable number of people have not ride this type of motorcycles in their home country and almost 90% are not familiar with Thai roads which is slippery when wet. Anyway, it would be a good business for the motorcycle rental companies to strip these tourists naked should anything happen to that rented motorcycle, and an avenue for income for the local authorities in the form of penalty for not having proper riding permits and  not wearing helmets. Only thing that the hospital emergency wards will be very busy in treating more and more accident injuries and of course not forgetting about the cloud funding events. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

good business for the motorcycle rental companies to strip these tourists naked should anything happen to that rented motorcycle, and an avenue for income for the local authorities in the form of penalty for not having proper riding permits and  not wearing helmets.

That's the wrong way around mate.  Police should seize the illegally rented motorbikes and sell them on,  or crush them.  Maybe then the renting lot would carry out their proper due diligence on those to whom they rent the bikes.  The renting companies and individuals are more to blame than those that rent, but as usual here, the right people don't take responsibility. 

• Like 2

I've got absolutely zero sympathy for Falang riding around Thailand without  helmets on rented mopeds like Maverick out of Top Gun then having an accident ( with no insurance) and starting a  Go Fund Me to pay their medical bills. 

However many of these accidents they have involve collisions with everyday Thai Folk just trying to go about their daily business. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Police should seize the illegally rented motorbikes and sell them on,  or crush them.  

I fully agree with you friend. However are they doing it....I have not hear or seen or read anything about crushing them. May be they re-sell it to the rented shops. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

May be they re-sell it to the rented shops. 

With a 100% mark up ?  That would work. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 23RD said:

I've got absolutely zero sympathy for Falang riding around Thailand without  helmets on rented mopeds like Maverick out of Top Gun then having an accident ( with no insurance) and starting a  Go Fund Me to pay their medical bills. 

However many of these accidents they have involve collisions with everyday Thai Folk just trying to go about their daily business. 

And that vast majority of everyday Thai folk are also riding illegally in all different manners

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

And that vast majority of everyday Thai folk are also riding illegally in all different manners

Oh they do Marc but it's their Country  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 23RD said:

Oh they do Marc but it's their Country  

Marc thinks that since he may visit here sometime everything should be like it is for him at home where everyone abides by all the laws all the time and especially trafic is well regulated... 55555

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skip said:

Marc thinks that since he may visit here sometime everything should be like it is for him at home where everyone abides by all the laws all the time and especially trafic is well regulated... 55555

You have clearly never driven in the South East of England.  They are worse drivers than the Thais and they have no excuse. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

19 hours ago, Pinetree said:

You have clearly never driven in the South East of England.  They are worse drivers than the Thais and they have no excuse. 

And you clearly have not developed a sense of irony... 

On 9/2/2024 at 1:36 PM, Thaiger said:

anticipated to boost Thailand’s domestic motorcycle market

Also then would aim to increase the Thai medical tourism industry, with the expected rise of tourist motorcycle crashes as well.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2024 at 11:47 AM, Pinetree said:

The renting companies and individuals are more to blame than those that rent, but as usual here, the right people don't take responsibility. 

No, 50/50 blame.

On 9/4/2024 at 3:19 PM, Ramanathan.P said:

I fully agree with you friend. However are they doing it....I have not hear or seen or read anything about crushing them. May be they re-sell it to the rented shops. 

In other words, a fine. If you want your bike back, you PAY us some money.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

No, 50/50 blame.

Really?  If someone was taking my motorbike away, I would be damn sure they were legal to ride it, so that my investment was also insured and I wasn't going to be fined. The illegal riders are idiots and will always try it on, but the owners could and should stop this nonsense overnight.  Thats not 50/50.  

On 9/6/2024 at 12:51 PM, Pinetree said:

Really?  If someone was taking my motorbike away, I would be damn sure they were legal to ride it, so that my investment was also insured and I wasn't going to be fined. The illegal riders are idiots and will always try it on, but the owners could and should stop this nonsense overnight.  Thats not 50/50.  

We are talking about Renters letting folk rent their bikes without checking their paperwork, so yes, it is 50/50 blame to both parties.

• Confused 1