Thaiger Talk Quiz #275 - Origin of Thai Place Names 3

BigHewer

Quiz #275 - In our latest quiz, we have five new questions about some place names in Thailand and where they come from. How much do you know? Test your knowledge, use your intuition and 5 out of 5 could be heading your way. Enjoy the quiz, folks.

1.thumb.jpg.8f18697d2c6064cdb985c7715926d5be.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.4fc73b6211a72fbdcb66660f218fe4db.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.9b1aabe623ec7d5d6ac47b543ccdbc90.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.7abb89c747c9cbdbef72c7172c1d57ac.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.07335979ab9039209ed33ac4ec080086.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.04c8290412cd040994fc3306736f890f.jpg

And  now for the answers...

7.thumb.jpg.46e705b9d85ccb56d08b4068e30da21e.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.55e924344489027674f6818b1e495fbf.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.07eea7cfc275831c36ffca98a508e042.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.9541f7cd201cd4fd6779b8dc0a66002b.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.c2f0a9ffdd27ca8aabc6fc2da047390e.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.6a4d538dd41078420a171019db4a4058.jpg

Only got 3 this time. Question 2 and 3 got me. 

Thought Nana may have been road junction and had no idea regarding Nakhon so I picked 'New'. 

Good quizz! 

• Thanks 1

4 out of 5, some guesses.

Ironically on Q2 i thought Buri meant City so randomly chose one of the other options which i thought were all feasible ………. maybe feasible but wrong i hear you cry !!

• Haha 1

Missed the Nana one, which obviously means I am a wholesome and respectable individual.

Interestingly, Singburi in Malay is 'Singapura', which of course means Singapore, also calling itself "Lion City".

All the -pur(a) towns, like Jayapura (City of Victory) in Indonesia, Jodhpur (City of Jodh) in India have the same Sanskrit derivation.

I like to think that the English -bury suffix or the Scots -burgh is of the same derivation.

7 hours ago, Ikariotiko said:

Missed the Nana one, which obviously means I am a wholesome and respectable individual.

Interestingly, Singburi in Malay is 'Singapura', which of course means Singapore, also calling itself "Lion City".

All the -pur(a) towns, like Jayapura (City of Victory) in Indonesia, Jodhpur (City of Jodh) in India have the same Sanskrit derivation.

I like to think that the English -bury suffix or the Scots -burgh is of the same derivation.

My wife's village is 20mins from Singburi town

We go there often, I've been going there for 20 years

And I never knew it was a province!

I thought it was just the city in SuphanBuri province

• Like 1

4/5 here, I guessed Nana was a road junction. Keep those quizzes coming, they're good for Thai trivia knowledge!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ikariotiko said:

Wow. Great post. I’d made the connection with Singapore but I hadn’t considered the others… yes, you’re absolutely right. It all makes sense.

-buri, -pura, -pore, -bury, -burgh 

I’ll throw in Hamburg, Freiburg, Salzburg so -burg as well. 

And maybe Indianapolis, Minneapolis (?)

All based on the same derivation.

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

My wife's village is 20mins from Singburi town

We go there often, I've been going there for 20 years

And I never knew it was a province!

I thought it was just the city in SuphanBuri province

I’ve never been there, just passed by / been through. Looking at the map, it must be one of the smallest. 

In any event, is it worth a trip? I’m always up for visiting new towns. Had a great time in Nakhon Sawan earlier this month.

I hadn’t made the connection between Roi Et and numbers until now.

Asked the little lady why Thai people say Roi Et but say neung loi or song loi but she just looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language ……. which of course i was !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I hadn’t made the connection between Roi Et and numbers until now.

Asked the little lady why Thai people say Roi Et but say neung loi or song loi but she just looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language ……. which of course i was !

When I was in Roi Et five years ago, talk of the town was the new tower under construction. Tallest in Isaan they said. They were very proud of it. 

“How tall will it be?” I asked. They looked at me like I was daft. 101 meters of course (duh).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Wow. Great post. I’d made the connection with Singapore but I hadn’t considered the others… yes, you’re absolutely right. It all makes sense.

-buri, -pura, -pore, -bury, -burgh 

I’ll throw in Hamburg, Freiburg, Salzburg so -burg as well. 

All based on the same derivation.

Hamburger even?! That's where is started; in downtown Hamburg.

I note with the footy that 'Real' is used in Spanish club names.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I’ve never been there, just passed by / been through. Looking at the map, it must be one of the smallest. 

In any event, is it worth a trip? I’m always up for visiting new towns. Had a great time in Nakhon Sawan earlier this month.

No I would not say it's worth it

I enjoy it as a "local" but as a tourist not much to do and is rather a drab area

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Very possibly, as Greek is originally of the same language family as Sanskrit, and 'poli' is not that distinct phonetically from 'buri'.

And that in turn means that many Ukrainian towns such as Mariupol (City of Maria), Melitopol (City of honey) and Sevastapol (City of Veneration) can also be included, as their names have Greek origins.

Thaiger Talk Quizzes, the Home of Advanced Learning ....

• Like 1

Just a wee footnote on this quiz and especially question #5…

The Japanese word for “cold” is - coincidentally - “samui”. So some Japanese folks think this island is a bit cooler. 

None of the TT quizzers were fooled by that answer choice though I see 😁