News Forum - Viral image of naked Thai conscripts in rain sparks investigation

Thaiger

The Minister of Defence ordered an investigation into the punishment of conscripts at a Royal Thai Army (RTA) base in the northern province of Chiang Mai, following a viral image on Thai social media showing ten naked conscripts standing in the rain. A Thai woman sought help from the non-profit organisation Saimai Survive after her … …

The story Viral image of naked Thai conscripts in rain sparks investigation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I would hope this is a one off incident.  The perps should be court marshalled and dishonourably discharged. 

No time for this behaviour in any military force no matter of nationality.  Punishment is punishment, but degrading soldiers does nothing positive to morale or invoking any form of camaraderie. 

During my time in the NZ Army, there was a huge shake up to rid itself of these 'bullies' that hid behind their rank.  

They never went any further in their careers, with the majority being demoted or kicked out. 

Team work, respect, integrity go far further in building a worthwhile force than this disgusting behaviour. 

Well done to the whistle blower.  That takes balls. 

• Like 1

"

“Those who violate the laws and military rules must be punished according to the military regulations. We will bring justice to the victims. Each army commander must take this issue seriously.”

The RTA also released an official announcement regarding the investigation into the case and promised to punish the soldier trainers if they were found guilty."

Anyone else feel that at best these 'trainers' will be moved elsewhere and no appropriate sanctions will be applied to them particularly if they are 'connected'.

Oh dear.  recruits stood in the rain, in the tropics for 6 hours.   Come off it.  I remember my Jungle Course, lasting 6 weeks, in sopping wet clothes for the whole time. Unfortunately they don't have tumble dryers in the jungle  A lot of this so called 'bullying', in Military units is no more than the normal beasting that anyone in any Unit, Worldwide will remember when they were recruits. Anyone here know about Milling in the UK Paras, or SEAL training, or UK and US Basic Marine training?  Okay, if there has been real physical Force then that may, only may, have been unacceptable, but I would guess there is a lot of exaggeration in this report, from people who just didn't want to be there, rather than it is over the top.

Where are the men in this modern World??? . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

I remember my Jungle Course, lasting 6 weeks, in sopping wet clothes for the whole time

These guys were being humiliated. No same same. 

In Paris winning medals for beating up women. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oh dear.  recruits stood in the rain, in the tropics for 6 hours.   Come off it.  I remember my Jungle Course, lasting 6 weeks, in sopping wet clothes for the whole time. Unfortunately they don't have tumble dryers in the jungle  A lot of this so called 'bullying', in Military units is no more than the normal beasting that anyone in any Unit, Worldwide will remember when they were recruits. Anyone here know about Milling in the UK Paras, or SEAL training, or UK and US Basic Marine training?  Okay, if there has been real physical Force then that may, only may, have been unacceptable, but I would guess there is a lot of exaggeration in this report, from people who just didn't want to be there, rather than it is over the top.

I hear what you are saying, however the report is that these NCOs returned to the unit after being off base and on the turps. 

They then thought it was OK to beast the recruits/soldiers. 

I know all about milling and other physical activities.  And also about physical punishment for wrong doing... but it was always in a controlled environment. 

Never as a result of some drunken lark by senior ranks. 

As you know, respect is earnt. 

I agree.... It maybe a bit far fetched that it rained for a full 6 hours.  But to have the troops standing naked is pushing the limit. 

It isn't SAS training, these are average soldiers.  Not the elite.  Not that this excuses abhorrent behaviour. 

Edited by NonThaiKiwi

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

As someone pointed out

This was just pure humiliation, no real point in it

Thai military has been notorious for mistreating their conscripts

Our son has been getting military Deferments because he's been in University 

But my wife and I think he's way too soft and has had it way too easy 

And we both agree a year in the military would do him good

But not if it's just abusive crap to be abusive and not any real world lessons in it

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

As someone pointed out

This was just pure humiliation, no real point in it

Thai military has been notorious for mistreating their conscripts

Our son has been getting military Deferments because he's been in University 

But my wife and I think he's way too soft and has had it way too easy 

And we both agree a year in the military would do him good

But not if it's just abusive crap to be abusive and not any real world lessons in it

;Abuse' as you write it, has a moveable definition and one could argue that all Military training and discipline could be characterized as  'abuse' in one form or another, as it attempts to turn normal folk into disciplined,  potential killers.  .  Military Service is intended to prepare the individual to fight, and maybe die, in the service of the Nation.  It's messy, disgusting, dangerous work and Nations prepare their Military to face these things in a number of different ways.  Military fighting is not a street brawl, or a pub punch-up, or a gentle disagreement.  It is down and dirty and its unnatural in most normal people.  That instinct sometimes has to be quite harshly knocked out of new recruits.  I know of what I speak, having been there.  The Thais do it their way.  I would characterize this as somewhat brutal, but hardly unusual.

P.S. I have been roundly criticized on here by one notable , one might say notorious, contributor, for saying that in my past military service,  I would have had no problem carrying a nuclear weapon into the USSR as was and possibly killing many thousands, he even called me a murderer (potential as I was never called upon to do it).  That my friend was training and discipline.  Its how wars gets won.  Its what forced troops into the beaches at Normandy, into Lancaster's during WW2 and Marines into the Jungles of Vietnam. 

• Like 1

;Abuse' as you write it, has a moveable definition and one could argue that all Military training and discipline could be characterized as  'abuse' in one form or another, as it attempts to turn normal folk into disciplined,  potential killers.  .  Military Service is intended to prepare the individual to fight, and maybe die, in the service of the Nation.  It's messy, disgusting, dangerous work and Nations prepare their Military to face these things in a number of different ways.  Military fighting is not a street brawl, or a pub punch-up, or a gentle disagreement.  It is down and dirty and its unnatural in most normal people.  That instinct sometimes has to be quite harshly knocked out of new recruits.  I know of what I speak, having been there.  The Thais do it their way.  I would characterize this as somewhat brutal, but hardly unusual.

P.S. I have been roundly criticized on here by one notable , one might say notorious, contributor, for saying that in my past military service,  I would have had no problem carrying a nuclear weapon into the USSR as was and possibly killing many thousands, he even called me a murderer (potential as I was never called upon to do it).  That my friend was training and discipline.  Its how wars gets won.  Its what forced troops into the beaches at Normandy, into Lancaster's during WW2 and Marines into the Jungles of Vietnam. 

Ok I'd call what they do to Thai conscripts as useless 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Ok I'd call what they do to Thai conscripts as useless 

You are misinformed.  Thai marines, and Army Rangers, even conscript ones, have a deserved reputation for being tough and effective jungle troops.  They didn't get that way by pussyfooting around, or appearing out of a cornflake packet.  It was training and conditioning, no doubt harsh and brutal at times, but it is effective.  

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

You are misinformed.  Thai marines, and Army Rangers, even conscript ones, have a deserved reputation for being tough and effective jungle troops.  They didn't get that way by pussyfooting around, or appearing out of a cornflake packet.  It was training and conditioning, no doubt harsh and brutal at times, but it is effective.  

Yeah I guess I'm misinformed 

I just have a Thai kid that knows all the horror stories 

Or knowing all the well documented cases of systematic abuse of conscripts

You can pick whichever case you want, there are plenty 

https://www.google.com/search?q=thailand+military+abuse&oq=thailand+military+abuse&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIICAEQABgWGB4yCAgCEAAYFhgeMg0IAxAAGIYDGIAEGIoFMg0IBBAAGIYDGIAEGIoFMg0IBRAAGIYDGIAEGIoFMg0IBhAAGIYDGIAEGIoFMgoIBxAAGIAEGKIEMgoICBAAGIAEGKIEMgoICRAAGIAEGKIE0gEIODMyM2owajSoAgGwAgE&client=ms-android-bell-ca-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Or a parent who knows, personally, that a 500k bribe is required to get into the Alr Force Academy

I'm pretty much on the same page with you on hard training 

There is a difference on that vs what the Thai military does to their conscripts

That's just abuse.....plain and simple

But it's not unexpected in such a corrupt entity

• Like 1