The Olympics' Leaves Me Cold = No Interest In It At All

Pinetree

I'm interested in some of the sports but I wish they would leave the politicking and identity signaling out of it.

Was watching the cycling time trials on RTE2 (Ireland free to air) and out comes Gleb Syritsa, the Russian cyclist. The commentators said his name and then that he represents "AIN", i.e. not a country. They then took on a chiding tone and went to say that it wasn't RTE policy to say the name of the country that he comes from. What the devil is this?

Cue 100,000 Irish viewers googling "Gleb Syritsa" to read all about him. 😂

• Like 4

I have had friends playing and coaching in the past Olympics starting in 2008, so I enjoy seeing my friends participate.  It's also quite interesting to see and hear about the prep work that starts from a couple years out. 

I have to agree though, politics and all "social issues" need not be a part of it and detract from the games.  Take your agendas elsewhere!

• Like 4

On 7/28/2024 at 10:57 AM, Marc26 said:

So it was absolutely ridiculous 

But do you think that they gonna have a fat trans singer doing laps??? 555

Only if it was the Hunger Games not the Olympic Games…

ps: don’t mention the gay Jew director or the fat Jewish pig starring in the blasphemous production because that ‘s anti Semitic.

• Like 1

What I enjoy about watching the Olympics is that you get to watch the pinnacle of human athletic endeavour. 
It’s great for exposure for some of the lower profile sports too. I was watching the table tennis yesterday and I couldn’t believe the reflexes of some of the participants.

There are some sports that have a dubious claim to be there. Particularly those sports where an Olympic gold medal is not the most coveted achievement in the sport. But as an event to bring a sense of fraternity to the cauldron of competition the Olympic Games are second to none.

Enough of the old white guy whining.....555

Let's talk about the sports!

Summer Macintosh 

A marketing dream 

Pretty girl 

Great name 

Dominating swimmer

Go Canada!

lin4rd5r0q7u4oxo38p3.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Wow

Now that is some breaking news!!

I mean this is big news.   😀

Like him or not, he's one of the world's most famous influencers, so yes indeed. I must say it was funny to see him rant in front of 30 people there. 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Summer Macintosh 

A marketing dream 

Pretty girl 

Great name 

Dominating swimmer

Go Canada!

Hey I'm not old!

That is a great name.

10 hours ago, Khunmark said:

What I enjoy about watching the Olympics is that you get to watch the pinnacle of human athletic endeavour. 
It’s great for exposure for some of the lower profile sports too. I was watching the table tennis yesterday and I couldn’t believe the reflexes of some of the participants.

There are some sports that have a dubious claim to be there. Particularly those sports where an Olympic gold medal is not the most coveted achievement in the sport. But as an event to bring a sense of fraternity to the cauldron of competition the Olympic Games are second to none.

It's true that pro table tennis is insane stuff. They should add table football.

On 7/26/2024 at 6:09 PM, AussieBob said:

I just watched Jimmy Anderson's last Test at the Oval against the West Indies, and as an Aussie I have to admit that he was right there with McGrath as the best seam bowler of all time.

Richard Hadlee was a good seamer. Glen was genuinely fast.

On 7/27/2024 at 3:22 PM, rattlesnake said:

The Olympic opening ceremony in Paris, unsurprisingly, was a platform for blasphemy, decadence and LGBT propaganda. What a truly disgusting sight…

They broke a sacred tradition that has existed for centuries.

Everyone knows the circus tradition that if you have the bearded lady, you absolutely have to have the strongman in a leotard. It is the way of things. They didn't even fire anyone out of a cannon or have any dancing bears.

Null points. The worst show since 776BC.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Summer Macintosh 

A marketing dream 

Pretty girl 

Great name 

Dominating swimmer

Go Canada!

Did she use a drone though?

The US beat those stinking Aussies with no time left from their own goal line(is it called goal line?)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

The US beat those stinking Aussies with no time left from their own goal line(is it called goal line?)

Always good to see the underdogs get a win 😁

The Aussies love their sport, punching well above their weight in the early medal table.

IMG_0822.thumb.png.9a1ca7069d99435a0f1ef59da6d20374.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Always good to see the underdogs get a win 😁

The Aussies love their sport, punching well above their weight in the early medal table.

IMG_0822.thumb.png.9a1ca7069d99435a0f1ef59da6d20374.png

Aussie usually do pretty well in the Summer Olympics because they have such a strong swimming program

• Like 1

Just now, Marc26 said:

Aussie usually do pretty well in the Summer Olympics because they have such a strong swimming program

They have to swim fast to escape all the dangerous sea creatures there 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

indeed!

BR

Dominated the middle and distance freestyle events, both short-course, and long, for years. Perkins, Hackett, Horton, Thorpe and others did the biz after Sainikov retired. I feel for Glen Housman though. Should have been given the WR.

BR

Was Shane Gould the most versatile swimmer ever? Held all WRs from 100 to 1500m.

16 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

Richard Hadlee was a good seamer. Glen was genuinely fast.

Yes indeed - but not just good, Hadlee was extremely good.  IMO it is a toss up between Hadlee and Botham for the best modern game Allrounder (70s onwards). Obviously Sobers is the best ever.  But Hadlee's ability with the bat was greatly under-estimated - he could have easily batted at 6 or 7 but he/team chose not to, because he was by far their best opening bowler and in some years the best in the world. You certainly dont want your opening bowler batting for 2-3 hours before opening the bowling.  Kapil averaged 31 in Tests, and Botham averaged 33 - but Hadlee averaged 27 in Tests - that says it all right there.  However, IMO the award goes to Botham - he won a lot of Test matches with both the bat and with the ball. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Yes indeed - but not just good, Hadlee was extremely good.  IMO it is a toss up between Hadlee and Botham for the best modern game Allrounder (70s onwards). Obviously Sobers is the best ever.  But Hadlee's ability with the bat was greatly under-estimated - he could have easily batted at 6 or 7 but he/team chose not to, because he was by far their best opening bowler and in some years the best in the world. You certainly dont want your opening bowler batting for 2-3 hours before opening the bowling.  Kapil averaged 31 in Tests, and Botham averaged 33 - but Hadlee averaged 27 in Tests - that says it all right there.  However, IMO the award goes to Botham - he won a lot of Test matches with both the bat and with the ball. 

Pretty much agree with that assessment Bob.

I went to Jamaica in 1998 to watch England play the Windies. Was in Sabina Park, Kingston, for that infamous match where it was abandoned after an hour or so.

• Like 1

The 100 free word record went in the final yesterday.

China's Pan Zhanle - the world record holder set earlier this year - established a new mark at 46.4. Charlmers and Povovici took the silver and bronze medals. It wasn't a close race though. Pan winning by over a second.

1 hour ago, SnapDragon said:

Pretty much agree with that assessment Bob.

I went to Jamaica in 1998 to watch England play the Windies. Was in Sabina Park, Kingston, for that infamous match where it was abandoned after an hour or so.

Mate - I was watching that on TV live - what a joke that pitch was - unbelievable - lucky no one was seriously injured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnapDragon said:

The 100 free word record went in the final yesterday.

China's Pan Zhanle - the world record holder set earlier this year - established a new mark at 46.4. Charlmers and Povovici took the silver and bronze medals. It wasn't a close race though. Pan winning by over a second.

Yet another reason not to watch the drugalympics - what a joke.

6 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Mate - I was watching that on TV live - what a joke that pitch was - unbelievable - lucky no one was seriously injured.

I walked onto the pitch and had a good look. I reckon I could have put my fingers into the cracks.

BR

What a holiday it turned out to be. A triathlon in Negril. The cricket. And the Jamaicans (Raggae Boys) had qualified for the World Cup finals. Went to see them play Sweden in Kingston. Nil-nil draw.

BR

Plenty of sun and rum too.

• Cool 1

11 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Yet another reason not to watch the drugalympics - what a joke.

Swimming is my sport. The only one I'm interested in. Although I can enjoy the ladies beach volleyball and the mud wrestling.

• Haha 2