The Olympics' Leaves Me Cold = No Interest In It At All

Pinetree

Decades of drug scandals, the inclusion of vile regimes, boring sports included, monumental costs of staging the event, that could be better spent,  I could not be less interested in the Olympic Games.  Is it just me? 

• Like 6

Paris has enough drama's as it is without hosting the Olympics it's hitting the headlines for the wrong reasons already. 

Just think they could have had a tough on crime Government in time for the Olympics if Macron hadn't colluded with an assortment of Lunatics to keep them out.

• Like 2

I'm a believer in the Olympics. At the start  of the modern era it was simply a men's past-time. Even the synchro-swimming was just for men. 

I want sport to reflect life. Men to be men and the ladies to be ladies. Then where are the darts, fishing and knitting you might ask?! I like to see ladies playing beach-volleyball and wrestling each other. I like the swimming. And as I've gotten older I'm more appreciative of Modern Pentathlon.

Not keen on all this politicising though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SnapDragon said:

Men to be men and the ladies to be ladies.

Good luck with that idea 😅

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Good luck with that idea 😅

RE; Men to be men and the ladies to be ladies.

Yes indeed. Luck needed there.

I want to see the guys doing manly things like wood-chopping and boulder rolling/throwing. Also a new sport called 'club wielding'. Where the guys have to smash things up with a club. A sort of a throw back to the old days when us men, would whack a nice bit of stuff over the head, and drag her back to a cave.

And for the ladies; knitting, washing up and baby-washing. Also shopping (only joking).

It's gonna be hard getting these things started. It will be a rocky road for sure. But well worth it in the end for future generations.

2 hours ago, 23RD said:

Paris has enough drama's as it is without hosting the Olympics it's hitting the headlines for the wrong reasons already. 

Just think they could have had a tough on crime Government in time for the Olympics if Macron hadn't colluded with an assortment of Lunatics to keep them out.

Paris is not Paris anymore. It's sad what they've done to it.

• Like 2

I am with you mate - the whole show is a total yawn for me. Part of that I am sure is getting older and being less susceptible to all the marketing hype BS, but it is also a reality that it is no longer about sports - it is all about entertainment.  Many of the events are not real sports - and that has been happening more and more over many decades. The whole thing has like so many other things, degenerated into a virtue signaling show pony of an event that is run by corrupt wealthy bureaucrats and is a waste of taxpayer's money. Boring. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I am with you mate - the whole show is a total yawn for me. Part of that I am sure is getting older and being less susceptible to all the marketing hype BS, but it is also a reality that it is no longer about sports - it is all about entertainment.  Many of the events are not real sports - and that has been happening more and more over many decades. The whole thing has like so many other things, degenerated into a virtue signaling show pony of an event that is run by corrupt wealthy bureaucrats and is a waste of taxpayer's money. Boring. 

I think the same can be said about football. The FIFA is corrupted in so many ways… I didn't even watch the last World Cup.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

it is all about entertainment.

and the money they make 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I think the same can be said about football. The FIFA is corrupted in so many ways… I didn't even watch the last World Cup.

Yes, I would put football into the same category.  But then again, I am a massive American Football fan and just love the drama of the Play Offs and the Super Bowl, so I guess each to his own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rattlesnake said:

Ditto - not interested in that either - both because of FIFA - and also because the game is boring and the players get away with far much (like tennis). I played a bit of high level football in my time (and coached), but the game these days it is so defensive and boring to me. Far too many games are decided by penalties - that is absolute proof that it is too hard to score goals and that is what makes the game entertaining. I am not after 10-7 results - but the goals are too small for the size of players these days. Making the ball harder to save due to movement helped, but that just meant more goals from free kicks - wingers crossing and headed goals has died. 

Make the goals a lot bigger and enforce the rules to reward attacking scoring players - these days scorers have to be huge men (Erling Haaland) to fight through all the illegal holding and pushing by defenders. Make the goals bigger and only allow the goal-keepers to use their hands in the goal area, plus start penalising defenders who push and pull attackers. That has been said for decades and it will result in more goals and it is a simple fix to what is now a boring game.

Back in the 1970s NFL in America was going through a tough patch. One of the fixes, and what has been done every year since then, is to change the rules to reward attacking play - and to counter act the latest defensive techniques used by coaches.  That has made NFL into a very exiting game - it is almost impossible to stop the other team scoring if they dont make a mistake.

NBA Basketball has the exact opposite problem - too easy to score. You might as well just watch the last 2-3 minutes because that is when it all gets exciting. Before that it is all so very boring.

IMO that is what is needed in football - make it more like NFL - harder to stop a quality forward from scoring.  It is a LOT easier to coach athletic players to be defensive - all that takes is an athlete.  To coach attacking players means finding and identifying and developing them, because they are more talented and they are rare.  But there are athletes everywhere - easy peasy - but they cannot score a goal. I cannot believe how many shots miss the target in this modern athletically driven 'all-players' game - Alan Shearer would have scored 60+ goals with that many opportunities in a season  - Dixie Dean would have scored 100 goals.

The modern football game is boring - and so is the World Cup.  I heard that Spain won when everyone was getting ready for extra time and a penalty shootout - that says it all. 

• Like 1

Jeez.....a bunch of old white guys complaining about something 

That's novel 5555

But...I do think the Olympics has lost it's luster but more for just like anything in this world. It's a less insular world these days so people are all glued into one thing anymore

I still enjoy watching them, but not glued to the TV

But Canada and US Women's football was on at work today, so I was happy to have that on to watch 

Love the gymnastics and swimming as well as the track and field events

By the way

We had the 2011 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

It was one of the most fun experiences I have enjoyed in my life 

I did not expect it to be as fun as it was 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Ditto - not interested in that either - both because of FIFA - and also because the game is boring and the players get away with far much (like tennis). I played a bit of high level football in my time (and coached), but the game these days it is so defensive and boring to me. Far too many games are decided by penalties - that is absolute proof that it is too hard to score goals and that is what makes the game entertaining. I am not after 10-7 results - but the goals are too small for the size of players these days. Making the ball harder to save due to movement helped, but that just meant more goals from free kicks - wingers crossing and headed goals has died. 

Make the goals a lot bigger and enforce the rules to reward attacking scoring players - these days scorers have to be huge men (Erling Haaland) to fight through all the illegal holding and pushing by defenders. Make the goals bigger and only allow the goal-keepers to use their hands in the goal area, plus start penalising defenders who push and pull attackers. That has been said for decades and it will result in more goals and it is a simple fix to what is now a boring game.

Back in the 1970s NFL in America was going through a tough patch. One of the fixes, and what has been done every year since then, is to change the rules to reward attacking play - and to counter act the latest defensive techniques used by coaches.  That has made NFL into a very exiting game - it is almost impossible to stop the other team scoring if they dont make a mistake.

NBA Basketball has the exact opposite problem - too easy to score. You might as well just watch the last 2-3 minutes because that is when it all gets exciting. Before that it is all so very boring.

IMO that is what is needed in football - make it more like NFL - harder to stop a quality forward from scoring.  It is a LOT easier to coach athletic players to be defensive - all that takes is an athlete.  To coach attacking players means finding and identifying and developing them, because they are more talented and they are rare.  But there are athletes everywhere - easy peasy - but they cannot score a goal. I cannot believe how many shots miss the target in this modern athletically driven 'all-players' game - Alan Shearer would have scored 60+ goals with that many opportunities in a season  - Dixie Dean would have scored 100 goals.

The modern football game is boring - and so is the World Cup.  I heard that Spain won when everyone was getting ready for extra time and a penalty shootout - that says it all. 

My complaint about football (not NFL) 

Especially referencing the last Euros

It is too predictable, the top teams almost always win

But even more so...

Once the tourney advances, they lock down and almost every match is 1-1 or 0-0 and goes to penalties 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Hear hear. How can anyone follow a game where the chances of a nil, nil result are so high. In the whole of NFL history, over 100 years, there has been only 73 nil nil ties and the last one was in 1943 !

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My complaint about football (not NFL) 

Especially referencing the last Euros

It is too predictable, the top teams almost always win

But even more so...

Once the tourney advances, they lock down and almost every match is 1-1 or 0-0 and goes to penalties 

Yep - and there is the issue - it is far too easy to 'park the bus' - all it takes is hard running athletes. 

I'd better be careful in talking about 'boring sports',  as I do like Test Cricket ! In fairness, you may get a lot of draws in Test Cricket, but you very rarely get boring matches, even over extended days . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Hear hear. How can anyone follow a game where the chances of a nil, nil result are so high. In the whole of NFL history, over 100 years, there has been only 73 nil nil ties and the last one was in 1943 !

Yes indeed - and the NFL rarely has dominant teams that last decades at the top, due to draft rule changes and contract negotiation rules.  The last being New England, and currently Kansas City is doing well and maybe the next one.  Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco had great runs - but no one can stay at the top very long - and even then they dont win all the time. 

Compare that to EPL where Man City now and Manchester United before have been dominant for many decades, and despite a few wins by Chelsea and Arsenal, those two teams have 'owned' the league since the 90s and no one else now gets much of a chance - going forward I dont see that changing. The excitement that was generated due to the 'nobodies' Leicester City winning in 2016 is what happens in NFL nearly every other year - anyone can genuinely win the Superbowl. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I'd better be careful in talking about 'boring sports',  as I do like Test Cricket ! In fairness, you may get a lot of draws in Test Cricket, but you very rarely get boring matches, even over extended days . 

I agree there - played and coached a bit of that too - and it aint boring having someone bowling a ball at you at close to 90mph - nor is it boring when someone who is the best ever bowler (Shane Warne) has the ball.

I love watching the battle between bat and ball over an extended period of time. It does not get any better watching someone like Tendulker facing Brett Lee or Glen Mcgrath or Shane Warne - and nothing beats seeing it live.  One day cricket bores me a lot more than Test cricket ever does - even when it rains - more so the the 20/20 fiasco.  I just watched Jimmy Anderson's last Test at the Oval against the West Indies, and as an Aussie I have to admit that he was right there with McGrath as the best seam bowler of all time. And Jimmy wins when it comes to the number of wickets, but more so in the best figure of them all - the number of times he dismissed Tendulkar in Tests. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Well that is the case with baseball

Non-fans can't understand how anyone would watch it

And I understand thier views

But it's up there with hockey as the #1 exciting sport once the playoffs start 

I guess I should say "dramatic" instead of exciting

Once the playoffs start, especially as it gets deeper in, every pitch is magnified 

The Olympics are corrupt and a vile waste of money.  If the intent was to celebrate and to promote sport, then much of the world should withdraw from the Olympics, where bribes, doping and coercion rule. It is  a farce to watch the doped up swimmers and runners  of some countries participate.

• Like 1

The Olympic opening ceremony in Paris, unsurprisingly, was a platform for blasphemy, decadence and LGBT propaganda. What a truly disgusting sight…

photo_2024-07-27_07-08-51.thumb.jpg.9344548e41f94fb0c42ef0a0a91b186b.jpg

• Like 2

The opening ceremony put me off watching anymore off the Olympics hijacked by freaks nothing to do with sporting excellence. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 23RD said:

The opening ceremony put me off watching anymore off the Olympics hijacked by freaks nothing to do with sporting excellence. 

So it was absolutely ridiculous 

But do you think that they gonna have a fat trans singer doing laps??? 555

• Haha 1