Guitar Gods

Grumpish

I nominate Carlos Santana - so many to choose from

That is a guitar being played to a mind blowing orgasm 

• Like 2

TBH, I'm not that keep on extended guitar solos. I like it when guitars play in harmony.

Best 'sound check' ever.

And on the night.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2024 at 7:29 AM, Grumpish said:

so many to choose from

Agreed.  Too many for me to ever be able to declare a winner.  Europa was way up there, though.  Too many for me to even attempt to rate in a numbered order.  Here's one that literally gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it.  Seriously, it almost brings me to tears to think of how fortunate I am to have experienced it.  Okay, I'm being a bit melodramatic.  :classic_biggrin:  Still, the eternal gratefulness is there.

Founding Traffic member Dave Mason with Look At You, Look At Me off of his first solo album in '70, Alone Together.

Simply heavenly!

Another old time favorite of mine is Station Man off of Fleetwood Mac's '70 Kilnhouse LP, their first since Peter Green's departure.  Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer were no slouches and each highly talented in their own right.  My favorite guitar solos tend to me those with a rather slow tempo but exuding extreme power.  A rather short solo but memorable nonetheless.

Peter Green with Fleetwood Mac in what I believe to be his last live performance with them, at the Boston Tea Party, Boston MA, for a three night gig between 5–7 February '70.  Green's gentle guitar picking on Jenny, Jenny rates with his legendary guitar on Albatross for me.  The solo is lengthy but around the 5:07 mark it becomes so soft that you almost have to strain to hear it.  Pure ecstasy.  It goes on for about a minute and a half, with some soft vocals at the end, before erupting into an explosion of sound which is the song's finale.

How about a song which starts with a guitar solo.  Hendrix' Voodoo Child rates as one of my favorite Hendrix songs for highlighting his supreme guitar acumen.  The studio version is tops but there's something to be said about watching him play live.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience with Voodoo Child (Slight Return) live In Maui, Hawaii in '70.

• Like 1

Whilst Jonathan Richman of The Modern Lovers is no guitar God in the eyes of most folks (if anyone has heard of him at all, that is) he certainly has his moments which one cannot take away from him.  Pablo Picasso is one such shining moment.

The Modern Lovers were an obscure local band out of Natick, Massachusetts, formed in the early 70's and styled after the Velvet Underground and the Stooges, from whence Richman got his influence.  Despite being an obscure local band they were talented.  Original drummer David Robinson went on to drum for the Cars and original keyboardist Jerry Harrison went on to become a member of the Talking Heads.

Pablo Picasso was covered by the Talking heads in a live performance on 9 October '76 at Max's Kansas City in New York City.  Unfortunately, the song quality is not the best and their version, I think, did not do the song justice.  It's been covered by many through the years,  Burning Sensations did a fair cover which found it's way onto the '84 Repo Man movie soundtrack.

Anyway. it's a great minute and a half solo which was highly creative and unique, unpredictable as the solo took many unexpected turns.