Visa renewal date and return ticket?

Wanted some clarification on this...thanks. 

My Non-O visa expires Jan 25, 2025.    If I fly to Thailand early January will I need a return ticket to show in case someone asks?   

I intend to visit in August and fly back to the USA in November for the holidays.   I was going to get a 1-way in August and figured I don't need to show a return ticket since I have the visa that expires after the 30 day standard exemption.  (I'll just book a return ticket later.l. 

But my January scenario concerns me since my O visa will expire within the 30 day standard exemption one usually obtains with a stamp... 

I'm hoping to renew the O visa in January.  I don't think I can in November...might be too early?  But I might have an issue of not having the 800k in my bank account the first few months when I got it.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, Dezmo said:

My Non-O visa expires Jan 25, 2025.    If I fly to Thailand early January will I need a return ticket to show in case someone asks?   

> So I gather that you have a Permission to stay that expires Jan 25, 2025 based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of etirement.  When you were in Thailand on that Visa and exited the Permission to stay was invalidated the moment you left, UNLESS you bought a Re-Entry Permit prior to leaving.  Such Re-Entry Permit protects the Permission to stay, and on-re-entry you will be stamped in again for that Jan 25,2025 date. 

So when you left Thailand on your Non Imm O Visa without such a Re-Entry Permit, you would have to start from scratch again.

7 hours ago, Dezmo said:

I intend to visit in August and fly back to the USA in November for the holidays.   I was going to get a 1-way in August and figured I don't need to show a return ticket since I have the visa that expires after the 30 day standard exemption.  (I'll just book a return ticket later.l. 

> When you

• get hold of a Visa (Tourist or Non Imm O) while abroad or in your home-country, and will enter Thailand on it before its expiry date, you won't need an onward-flight or return flight; OR
  • re-enter Thailand with a Re-Entry Permit that you bought prior to leaving, it will protect the Permission to stay of the Visa, and so you won't need an onward-flight or return flight.

> It is only when you do not have a valid non-expired Visa, that you can enter Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa).  And on entry Thai border-immigration will stamp you in with a Permission to stay of 30 days.  Note that soon Thailand will - in an effort to boost tourism - will up that 30 days to 60 days (should have been implemented already but in practice it has not yet).  Also for 1.900,- THB you can extend the Permission to stay of your VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry with 30 days at any Thai Immigration office.  No need to wait till last days to do that, as the additional 30 days extension will be added to the expiry date of your Permission to stay. 

7 hours ago, Dezmo said:

But my January scenario concerns me since my O visa will expire within the 30 day standard exemption one usually obtains with a stamp... 

> When your Re-Entry Permit protected Permission to stay of the Non Imm O Visa on which you plan to re-enter Thailand will expire within 30 days of entry, you will simply be stamped in by Thai border-immigration for the 'protected' Permission to stay expiry date from that Non Imm O Visa. 

7 hours ago, Dezmo said:

I'm hoping to renew the O visa in January.  I don't think I can in November...might be too early?  But I might have an issue of not having the 800k in my bank account the first few months when I got it.

You will not be re-newing your Non Imm O Visa, as that Visa expired the moment you used it.  But you will be applying for a 1-year extension of the Permission to stay from that Non Imm O Visa.  Such application can be done from 30 days before expiry from the Permission to stay.  Some Imm Offices allow to do it 45 days in advance, and under exceptional circumstances it can be done even earlier (but you would need to talk with your local Imm Office, whether they approve such very early extension). 

When you apply for the 1-year extension of stay for a Non Imm O Visa based on retirement - like in your case - you need to provide proof that the required +800.000,- THB are on your personal Thai bank-account at least 2 months before the day of application for the 1-year extension (some Imm Offices require 3 months, so better check with your local Imm Office if that would be an issue). 

= = =

That's as complete an answer as you are ever going to get.  Blue is spot on.

In the OP there is one small piece of misinformation.  The OP is under the assumption if that you have a Non-Imm O visa, or permission to stay, that expires in less than 30 days you need an onward ticket in order to re-enter the country.  Not true.  As long as that visa is valid or you have an extension of permission to stay, there isn't a requirement for an onward ticket.

Thanks...

So it appears if I arrive before Jan 25, 2025, I will get stamped for the 30 days only (since my O expires Jan 25).   But in my case I have the Multiple Entry (forgot to add that).   (I received the 90-day Non Imm O Visa first in October 2024, then the 1 year extension (thus the expiration Jan 25, 2025.)

Would I still need proof of an exit flight?

But then I can go to Immigration later and still apply for the 1-year extension of stay for a Non Imm O Visa based on retirement.  I would have the 800k+ b (every month) in the Thai bank since about Feb 2024 so I should be ok for the 2 (or 3) month requirement?

I think i recall you mention prior that I can exit Thailand before expiry of your 25 Jan 2025 Permission to stay, and re-enter Thailand after that date either VisaExempt or on a
 Tourist Visa, and then restart the application process from scratch.    I suspect I get the 90 day and then maybe during the final 30 days I can apply for the 1 year extension and ME again (as I may leave Thailand in later March).

I am just concerned about the exit flight as I do not want to schedule anything out yet ...

Edited by Dezmo

When you enter, you will be stamped in to the expiration date of your current visa extension/permit to stay (which you keep referring to as your visa, it's not).

You do not need proof of an exit flight, as long as your permission to stay is still valid.  And yes, after re-entering the country you can apply for another extension of your permit to stay if you satisfy all the requirements.

Blue Sphinx's mentions of you re-entering the country on an exemption or tourist visa are if your original visa/extension to stay is no longer valid.

You mention you have a "multiple entry" but if that was for your original visa (which is only 90 days) and you didn't get an exit/reentry permit before leaving Thailand, then your permit to stay has been automatically cancelled. If you have a multiple exit/reentry permit you arranged for at immigration before leaving, that is a different thing, and you're good to go.

I think one of the problems is you aren't really explaining what you actually have in terms that are generally understood here.

(multiple entry) visa - the original visa granted that allows you to exit and enter the country multiple times within its valid period (90 days). 

extension of permit to stay - you apply for and receive before the end of your original visa, this extension is generally good for one year. Look in your passport at the stamp you received from immigration.  It says "extension of permit to stay..."

reentry permit - must be applied for at an immigration office and can be for a single time or multiple times

I obtained the 90 day Non-O Retirement Visa on Oct 24, 2023 and it expired Jan 21, 2024. I also have the 1 year extension of permit to stay until Jan 21, 2025 (mistyped some dates before).   I have a multiple exit/reentry permit arranged at immigration before leaving that says good until Jan 21, 2025.

It appears then if I enter ~Jan 6, 2025, I will be stamped in to the expiration date of my current permit to stay (Jan 21, 2025) but wonder if I can ask for the immigration officer NOT to honor that Re-Entry Permit, but provide me with a 30-day Permission to stay. 

Again it sounds like on my entry ~Jan 6, 2025, I will not need to show an Exit flight since my permission to stay is still valid (though only for a few week more after I arrive).

That's clearer.

If you are planning on renewing your permit to stay as soon as you arrive, it makes little to no sense to ask the immigration officer to ignore your reentry permit.  I believe the only way he could do that would be to cancel your current permit to stay, which doesn't make sense  unless you want to go through the entire application process for a new visa.

And no, you don't need a flight out.  If you don't renew, be sure to leave before the end of your permitted stay.

Thanks.  I may not have met the requirements to get another 1 year extension of permit to stay as I did not have the 800k in my account until Feb 2024 (I used an agency for all of this).   Though the agency said they can help with the 1 year again.

So I may have to leave before the Jan 25, come back just after, get the 30 day stamp and start over with the 90 day VISA, then later get the 1 year extension (this is what I recall I can do)...  then I am ok in the future as long as i keep the 800k in the bank :)

If the 800K is in the bank now,  you should be fine, as long as it has been there for three months before renewal.

Put the renewal paperwork in motion before you arrive so that it can be handled quickly after you come back.

Thanks.  So I can do it in January before the 21st.

Wonder if they will accept the bank book prints though I need it updated or they need a letter.. ? 

Still makes me giggle...have not had a bank book since I was a child..lol

My Thai friend can probably help....she is officer in Thai Police  ;)

The requirements are well spelled out, as to the documentation you need for your financial proof.

If you are unsure of how and what to do, and you  used an agent in the past, it might be advisable to do so again for your renewal.

Searching here in The Thaiger forum will give you very good information on what you need to provide.  Good luck to you.

23 hours ago, MrStretch said:

If the 800K is in the bank now,  you should be fine, as long as it has been there for three months before renewal.

800K for two months prior to the date of application, three months thereafter.

• Like 1

@Dezmo

For Thai Immigration, there is a difference between the validity of a visa and the period of stay.

The validity of a visa is the period during which you can travel and request entry to Thailand.
The period of stay is granted by an entry clearance officer and in accordance with the type of visa.

Visas cannot be extended.
A Non Imm O SE visa is 'USED' on first entry, but your Immigration status is 'Non Immigrant'.
A Non Imm O ME visa expires on the 'enter before' date, but your Immigration status is 'Non Immigrant'.

To apply for a 1-year extension of stay, you must have 'Non Immigrant' status.
You are applying to extend your period of stay, not the visa, and extension stamps are permits.

Regarding the 800K THB in a Thai bank account, I'm confused, as you state;

On 6/22/2024 at 12:08 AM, Dezmo said:

On 6/22/2024 at 8:05 PM, Dezmo said:

So I may have to leave before the Jan 25, come back just after, get the 30 day stamp and start over with the 90 day VISA, then later get the 1 year extension (this is what I recall I can do)...  then I am ok in the future as long as i keep the 800k in the bank :)

If you didn't meet the financial requirements for your Jan 2024 extension, then you will not be permitted to apply for a further extension in Jan 2025.
You do not require proof of a return flight when entering with a 1-year extension and valid re-entry permit.

If you enter November 2024 and cannot meet the financial requirements for a further 1 year extension of stay, but can deposit 800K in a Thai bank account at that time, then I'd suggest you exit at the nearest border and re-enter visa exempt. Visa exempt entries are being increased to 60 days (from 30 days) in July of this year.

As you'd be entering as a Tourist, you can then apply for the Non O at Immigration.
The 800K is only required to be in your Thai bank account on the day of submitting the application.
Procedure here:  VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 
On being issued the Non O, you will also be granted a further stay of 90 days.
Once the 800K THB has been seasoned for 2 months, you can then submit an application for the 1-year extension of stay.