News Forum - Northern Thailand: Police shoot armed drug dealer in self-defence

Thaiger

Police officers in Chiang Kham, Phayao in northern Thailand encountered a drug dealer who aimed a firearm at them, prompting a defensive response that resulted in the suspect being shot. Police Colonel Sakorn Sukphoomphong, Superintendent of Chiang Kham Police Station, received a tip about a drug gathering in Ban Nam Lao, Moo 7, Mae Lao … …

The story Northern Thailand: Police shoot armed drug dealer in self-defence as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

" Upon spotting the officers, Sitthichai aimed a long-barrelled firearm at them. In self-defence, the officers fired three shots, hitting Sitthichai in the hip and both shins."

I wonder what the range was? Although hand guns are not particularly accurate over any great distance 3 shots all low would tend to indicate a lack of firearms training/practice.

44 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

" Upon spotting the officers, Sitthichai aimed a long-barrelled firearm at them. In self-defence, the officers fired three shots, hitting Sitthichai in the hip and both shins."

I wonder what the range was? Although hand guns are not particularly accurate over any great distance 3 shots all low would tend to indicate a lack of firearms training/practice.

As an RAF pilot, my personal weapon was a 9mm Browning , with which we had to qualify each year on the 25m range, but with the targets at 10m. If you couldn't get 2 out of 5   on the target at 10m, a great result, the target range was reduced to 5m.  Even at the distance, I was lucky to get 2 hits out of 5.  Handguns are surprisingly difficult to fire accurately. I was a lousy pistol shot, but thankfully was much better with a 30mm Aden cannon on my aircraft.   

On 6/21/2024 at 3:22 PM, Pinetree said:

, but with the targets at 10m. If you couldn't get 2 out of 5   on the target at 10m, a great result, the target range was reduced to 5m.  Even at the distance, I was lucky to get 2 hits out of 5. 

Wow, low qualification requirements maybe because your job as a pilot meant it was unlikely you would need to use a handgun. My father was a policeman in London in the 60s and 70s and was a 'qualified shot' as they called officers permitted to use guns back then. They had to hit a torso target at 10 yards with an 80% accuracy to qualify.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Wow, low qualification requirements maybe because your job as a pilot meant it was unlikely you would need to use a handgun.

Indeed so.  I thought it was impractical, even a bit  dangerous, for us to carry any personal weapon, as shot down, we were not going to take on ground troops.  Gulf War 1 showed this to be a truth.  

On 6/21/2024 at 9:22 PM, Pinetree said:

As an RAF pilot, my personal weapon was a 9mm Browning , with which we had to qualify each year on the 25m range, but with the targets at 10m. If you couldn't get 2 out of 5   on the target at 10m, a great result, the target range was reduced to 5m.  Even at the distance, I was lucky to get 2 hits out of 5.  Handguns are surprisingly difficult to fire accurately. I was a lousy pistol shot, but thankfully was much better with a 30mm Aden cannon on my aircraft.   

I used to love the Browning L9A1 such a  simple weapon never really used it much in The Infantry role but used it extensively in Northern Ireland transiting from A to B in CMV's.

There's much more emphasis on pistol shooting in The British Army over the last 15 years its now part of the APWT.

Couldn't beat the Browning for reliability though.

4 hours ago, 23RD said:

I used to love the Browning L9A1 such a  simple weapon never really used it much in The Infantry role but used it extensively in Northern Ireland transiting from A to B in CMV's.

There's much more emphasis on pistol shooting in The British Army over the last 15 years its now part of the APWT.

Couldn't beat the Browning for reliability though.

Well yes.  Your job, among others, was to grub around in the dirt, seeking out other ground dwellers, so as to protect we 'Lords of The Skies; as we went off and won the war for you folks.  We didn't need pistols for that. As is so often said, you can tell a Fighter Pilot, you just can't tell him (her!) much. 

• Haha 1