Police and protesters clash at increasingly aggressive protests

Thaiger

21 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Are you Stevie100 off Tv by any chance just posting troll rubbish to pick a fight?  So any red flag is communist now is it, and Harry Potter and duck motifs are really Marxist 'logos'. If you think very, very few Thais don't support all or some of the protesters aims you really don't know how ordinary Thais are feeling now. The new generation enlightened by the internet will be increasingly unwilling to live under this old, oppressive feudal system.

Wishful thinking.

45 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Are you Stevie100 off Tv by any chance just posting troll rubbish to pick a fight?  

No.

So any red flag is communist now is it, and Harry Potter and duck motifs are really Marxist 'logos'.

If the red flag has a hammer and sickle logo on it, then 'yes', that's pretty clearly seen as "communist", especially here - how could it not be?

Harry Potter and the ducks? 'No', but dressing up as Harry Potter to deliver what's intended to be a key-note political speech, delivered to others in fancy dress as witches and wizards, doesn't really convince most people to take you seriously or give you much credibility.

If you think very, very few Thais don't support all or some of the protesters aims you really don't know how ordinary Thais are feeling now.

Aaah ..... you've sadly read what someone else think's I've said who just wants a fight rather than what I actually wrote, which is entirely different - even though you've quoted me.

Here's what I actually wrote, which you've even quoted:

"regardless of whether Thais are pro or anti monarchy, very, very few support Redem and a "communist" regime."

I've put in in bold for you so there shouldn't be too much doubt.

A lot of Thais may well support some or many of the protesters' aims (FWIW I think an increasing number do, across an increasingly broad spread of political views) but that doesn't mean they "support Redem and a "communist"  regime".

The two are NOT synonymous, and whether @Stardust or you like it or not this was a Redem demo, organised and led by Redem.

• Cool 1

35 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Wishful thinking.

No, I think @thai3 is 100% correct in that "The new generation enlightened by the internet will be increasingly unwilling to live under this old, oppressive feudal system."

What I don't think the younger generation or many others do, though, is see Redem and the "communists" as an alternative.

• Cool 1

38 minutes ago, Stardust said:

and again it was not redem it is unbelievable that you comment it again!

Well, that's what the demo organisers say and even if you ignore the police and the media I think they probably know a little more about it than you!

8 hours ago, Thomazz59 said:

The current monarch of Thailand is at a Buddhist Monastery in Chiangmai Province.  

That is the local talk around Chiangmai. He is on a lengthy sabbatical at the  Wat Pharathat Si Chom Thong.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Thais generally simply don't like "communists" 

They do seem awfully fond of anything to do with these Chinese chappies though dont they?

Just now, poohy said:

They do seem awfully fond of anything to do with these Chinese chappies though dont they?

Indeed, @poohy, but they don't see them as "communists", hence the repeated quotation marks.

17 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Indeed, @poohy, but they don't see them as "communists", hence the repeated quotation marks.

Ah i see coming from Dudley English and certainly its punctuation are difficult for me ?                 

9 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

WOW! You wrote: Without even watching....I just know it's a bunch of self aggrandised MFA's 

Thanks for that > without even reading any of your future posts, I know they will be a bunch of crap so will avoid wasting time on them...

Spot on BS and I don't even know what MFA's even are. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thomazz59 said:

That is the local talk around Chiangmai. He is on a lengthy sabbatical at the  Wat Pharathat Si Chom Thong.

Other than us, sounding off and bumping our gums, who really gives a rats?

Those of us who either live here or come here regularly do so of our own free will. It annoys the he'll out of me, that we westerners  come here and try to impose western morals and values.

I came here first in 1986, because it was cheap and excellent  value for money. Silly westerners searching for a better life have screwed the job up because they overpay for everything, food, beer, property, etc.etc.etc. Then when the Thai's treat  us like mugs,  winge like a kid.

If you're not happy, or don't like it anymore  then leave.

As for how Thailand is governed, keep cheap Mr. Prime Minister, how you do it, not really bothered.

Not my country, not my people, not my culture and not my problem.

?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stonker said:

Thanks, @K C, but apart from wanting a debate or a quarrel I don't really know what point @Stardust's trying to make.

It was a Redem demo - everyone except @Stardust says that, whether in the media, social media, or the protesters themselves.  Some who are "UDD and red shirts ... and many other groups" support them, but it was still a Redem demo and Redem have minimal support in Thailand.

Thais generally simply don't like "communists"  -  and I'm deliberately using the label  as it has very clear connotations in Thailand and for Thais of every generation and political persuasion  -  and Redem have gone out of their way to paint themselves as "communists".

No they don't like communists they boiled 3000 alive in oil  drums under a Yellow Purge in the seventies. A lot of the commies were students who experienced the Thammasat massacre and realized that peaceful change was not possible and went to the jungle to fight.  There's  a load more I would like to say but hey there's a 112 reasons not to go there. When I was in Thailand from November to April last year I was astonished at how many working Thai, motorbike taxis and grab drivers and the like were happy to share stuff that would get them jailed for a long time to a random farang with poor Thai. Everybody knows. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Drum_killings#:~:text=The "Red Drum" or ",Province%2C southern Thailand%2C in late

• Like 3

Looking at  this video of the burning of the police truck yesterday - a REDEM flag conveniently appears - I'd say it's as likely to be agents provocateurs / black ops as much as the group itself. Indeed the regime will go out of it's way to frame the protests as unpatriotic / anti-institution / commie/anarchists / vandals if they're going to pull off a coup again. If the rumours are to be believed. But if 20% of tourism GDP has gone there must be millions out of work at the moment. Once covid has subsided I would fully expect mass street demos again this time with the red-shirts in alliance with the students and democracy protestors. 

Edited by billybob
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, billybob said:

No they don't like communists they boiled 3000 alive in oil  drums under a Yellow Purge in the seventies. A lot of the commies were students who experienced the Thammasat massacre and realized that peaceful change was not possible and went to the jungle to fight.  There's  a load more I would like to say but hey there's a 112 reasons not to go there. When I was in Thailand from November to April last year I was astonished at how many working Thai, motorbike taxis and grab drivers and the like were happy to share stuff that would get them jailed for a long time to a random farang with poor Thai. Everybody knows. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Drum_killings#:~:text=The "Red Drum" or ",Province%2C southern Thailand%2C in late

Tak Bai, 2004  -  same-same but different.

It's not just "working Thai" but across the whole spectrum, and it's not "if" anymore but "when", but the idea that Redem and a bunch of radical communist students and some who are stupid enough to join them and get tarred by the same brush are going to lead any change is la-la land.

14 minutes ago, billybob said:

Looking at  this video of the burning of the police truck yesterday - a REDEM flag conveniently appears - I'd say it's as likely to be agents provocateurs / black ops as much as the group itself. Indeed the regime will go out of it's way to frame the protests as unpatriotic / anti-institution / commie/anarchists / vandals if they're going to pull off a coup again. If the rumours are to be believed. But if 20% of tourism GDP gone there must be millions out of work at the moment. Once covid has subsided I would fully expect mass street demos again this time with the red-shirts in alliance with the students and democracy protestors. 

I don't think they need to go out of their way very much - Redem, and anyone who joins them, are doing nobody any favours and those who have acceptable and increasingly popular solutions, like Future Forward, are conspicuous by putting as much distance as they can between themselves and Redem.

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Tak Bai, 2004  -  same-same but different.

It's not just "working Thai" but across the whole spectrum, and it's not "if" anymore but "when", but the idea that Redem and a bunch of radical communist students and some who are stupid enough to join them and get tarred by the same brush are going to lead any change is la-la land.

Not it's not the same the 70s purges were backed by the US as part of it's SE Asia violent decommunization and Vietnam War. The Thammasat massacre followed on from the violent overthrow of the Laos monarchy a few weeks earlier , where yellow paramilitaries' were encouraged to go on the rampage. The Red Drum killings were a systematic policy of extreme terror to discourage the others. Let's hope things improve soon and the regime doesn't consider going down very dark pathways to hold onto power. 

Tak Bai was a one-off tragic rough treatment by the Thai army to get tough on Islamic militants in the south following 911 et al that went horribly wrong. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I don't think they need to go out of their way very much - Redem, and anyone who joins them, are doing nobody any favours and those who have acceptable and increasingly popular solutions, like Future Forward, are conspicuous by putting as much distance as they can between themselves and Redem.

And good for them but the message is going out loud and clear from the ruling élite - you won't be getting free and fair elections anytime soon if ever. Thannathorn sounded the alarm on vaccines way back in January and got a 112 on him for daring to question government policy. He will have got the message if you and your family want to hold onto your wealth back off. 

God only knows what is going to happen but I would put an outside bet on Thaksin getting a royal pardon - comes back and stitch up requiring a Prayuth exit and enough money showered on the poor for the duration of the emergency to keep the peace. Democratic it won't be. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thomazz59 said:

Then read the german news maybe you get better infos

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

And good for them but the message is going out loud and clear from the ruling élite - you won't be getting free and fair elections anytime soon if ever. Thannathorn sounded the alarm on vaccines way back in January and got a 112 on him for daring to question government policy. He will have got the message if you and your family want to hold onto your wealth back off. 

God only knows what is going to happen but I would put an outside bet on Thaksin getting a royal pardon - comes back and stitch up requiring a Prayuth exit and enough money showered on the poor for the duration of the emergency to keep the peace. Democratic it won't be. 

This could be, if you watched the UDD speaches yesterday I thought the same there could be negotiations behind the curtain and Tony (Thaksin) confirmed that he is coming on social media. And they were out yesterday and today, but also some other groups from the progressive democracy movements. 

• Like 3

Sadly many Thai people are in a bad way. Destitute because cannot pay their rent. Living on the street and not vaccinated. Thai friends I know have no money to pay rent. Not vaccinated and are all I'll with covid. Are not hospitalised since there are no beds. Her mother, 2 brothers, her son and herself all have covid and are sharing the same room. No money coming in and no money from the government. So I do see why the protests go ahead because sadly the elite do not care for ordinary Thais.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Stardust said:

This could be, if you watched the UDD speaches yesterday I thought the same there could be negotiations behind the curtain and Tony (Thaksin) confirmed that he is coming on social media. And they were out yesterday and today, but also some other groups from the progressive democracy movements. 

We even have some PDRC leaders coming out and supporting the carmob the Noble Condo heir no less. There's no doubt in my mind that Prayuth will be the fall guy stabbed by many hands when the time comes. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, billybob said:

We even have some PDRC leaders coming out and supporting the carmob the Noble Condo heir no less. There's no doubt in my mind that Prayuth will be the fall guy stabbed by many hands when the time comes. 

Hopefully not too long to wait

2 hours ago, billybob said:

But if 20% of tourism GDP has gone there must be millions out of work at the moment. Once covid has subsided I would fully expect mass street demos again this time with the red-shirts in alliance with the students and democracy protestors.

We have to be way past 20% GDP at this point. If they extend full lockdowns into september there is gonna be people throwing down in the streets.

• Like 3