News Forum - Thailand addresses labour shortage and illegal workers

Thaiger

Thailand’s National Committee on Migrant Workers Management approved three strategic guidelines to address the country’s labour shortage and tackle the issue of illegal workers. A proposal for these new guidelines is expected to be forwarded to the cabinet for approval soon. Labour Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn announced after a committee meeting this Wednesday, commenting that the … …

The story Thailand addresses labour shortage and illegal workers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

At one point they are forcing all the immigrant workers to leave the country due to expiry of their contract. At another point they are grumbling about shortage of labour force in the country. Why can't they just extend the contractual arrangements for those immigrant workers without asking them to leave the country? At least the shortage gap is narrowed or filled-in.

34 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Why can't they just extend the contractual arrangements for those immigrant workers without asking them to leave the country? At least the shortage gap is narrowed or filled-in.

Is that not more or less exactly what they are considering? 

"Additionally, many migrant workers from various countries failed to renew their documents on time, rendering them illegal. To address these challenges, the committee has agreed to support migrant workers by registering illegal workers from Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

The committee is also considering extending the work permits of two million migrant workers whose permits are set to expire on February 13, 2025. These workers would receive a two-year extension through a memorandum of understanding."

• Like 1

Not really a problem if Thais got off their collective arses and were willing to do a fair days work for a fair days pay. 

To clarify a little. Live east Thailand near Cambodian border, wife and family struggle to find Thais willing to work. Last two left to be monks. 

"The original Thai cop out." 

Family now employees one Thai and ten Cambodians.

All paid 350 baht a day for not too hard a days work.

3 hours ago, palooka said:

Not really a problem if Thais got off their collective arses and were willing to do a fair days work for a fair days pay. 

To clarify a little. Live east Thailand near Cambodian border, wife and family struggle to find Thais willing to work. Last two left to be monks. 

"The original Thai cop out." 

Family now employees one Thai and ten Cambodians.

Isn't that below min wage?

18 hours ago, Marc26 said:

So paying below the minimum wage and wondering why people won't work for you.

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2024 at 1:02 AM, Marc26 said:

On 6/8/2024 at 7:26 PM, ChrisS said:

So paying below the minimum wage and wondering why people won't work for you.

Obviously you are a city dweller. 

For that 350 baht a day they are collected and transported to their work place, fed at lunch time and all have a "drink" at end of day.  During the really hot days they are supplied with a drink supplement and water to maintain body fluids etc, helps stop dehydration. 

Never seen this sort of care for employees in any western country.  

There is minimum wage and there is minimum care, you obviously seem to subscribe to the minimum care category, by assuming they are underpaid.

You want to qualify to preach about Thai standards then get your rear out of the city and open your eyes to the real Thailand.  

I'm not saying there are no unscrupulous employers, yes there are many and most are probably of Chinese origin and running illegal operations here in Thailand mainly in Bangkok.

Around here they run the gambling dens with the local constabulary.

Need a reference to that statement: Read the news as to who are the creeps running people trafficking and rip off scams.

6 hours ago, palooka said:

For that 350 baht a day they are collected and transported to their work place, fed at lunch time and all have a "drink" at end of day.  During the really hot days they are supplied with a drink supplement and water to maintain body fluids etc, helps stop dehydration. 

Never seen this sort of care for employees in any western country.  

There is minimum wage and there is minimum care, you obviously seem to subscribe to the minimum care category, by assuming they are underpaid.

You want to qualify to preach about Thai standards then get your rear out of the city and open your eyes to the real Thailand.  

I'm not saying there are no unscrupulous employers, yes there are many and most are probably of Chinese origin and running illegal operations here in Thailand mainly in Bangkok.

Around here they run the gambling dens with the local constabulary.

Need a reference to that statement: Read the news as to who are the creeps running people trafficking and rip off scams.

HA...............OK

Ha..........."the real Thailand"  favorite line of expats when they want to assert some sort of superior knowledge when they have no idea of the person they are saying it to

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?

You bash people because they don't want to work for less than min wage, then go on and on about how well you treat them

When they are obviously telling you they don't want to work for less than min wage.........

And I know plenty of people in the village that are willing to work for the min wage...........

You should give a try................  :)

Stop being a cheap fc*k and pay them min wage

• Like 1

6 hours ago, palooka said:

Such a caring employer give a bit of cheap food and water rather than pay the staff properly. Slaves used to get ferried to work and fed housed and watered too. Clearly as you say you cannot get workers they would rather earn more money. Stop making excuses for being a cheap Charlie.

HA...............OK

Ha..........."the real Thailand"  favorite line of expats when they want to assert some sort of superior knowledge when they have no idea of the person they are saying it to

You bash people because they don't want to work for less than min wage, then go on and on about how well you treat them

When they are obviously telling you they don't want to work for less than min wage.........

And I know plenty of people in the village that are willing to work for the min wage...........

I live and work with these people. DO YOU?

Or are you one of the sideliners that are just putting a few critical words to appease your ego by quoting legal garbage that is totally irrelevant to reality outside your big city living.?

You used to have a better attitude to Thai life, has it got to you?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Such a caring employer give a bit of cheap food and water rather than pay the staff properly. Slaves used to get ferried to work and fed housed and watered too. Clearly as you say you cannot get workers they would rather earn more money. Stop making excuses for being a cheap Charlie.

You have really shown your true colours as a biased city dweller.

30 staff sorting their own transport and location of that work, to in a foreign country, yeah right, sorting someone to cook and feed those same thirty people, most don't speak any Thai so yeah, YOU KNOW IT ALL.

Have a term I haven't used in ages for people like you, DIP STICK.

You are a dope, you just don't realise it yet.

HA...............OK

Classified in the totally ignorant category of a minor category of Farlungs in Thailand.

Uneducated and ignorant visitor/resident with a big city mentality.

On 6/15/2024 at 6:57 AM, palooka said:

I live and work with these people. DO YOU?

Or are you one of the sideliners that are just putting a few critical words to appease your ego by quoting legal garbage that is totally irrelevant to reality outside your big city living.?

You bashed Thais for not wanting to work and then I asked you a simple question, if you were in fact not paying them min wage

And I still don't know if you are because you got bent out of shape because I asked you a question, after you bashed Thais

The simple fact is you aren't paying enough and that is obviously what they care about

Not these small benifits you are giving them in lieu 

On 6/15/2024 at 9:38 AM, Guest1 said:

I don't know

You do realise what (?) means???

I was asking the question 

But doesn't your link show the min wage is 363 since Jan 1st?

On 6/15/2024 at 6:57 AM, palooka said:

This is the chef's kiss 

The expat bashes Thai people

He then accuses you of "having a better attitude towards Thai life '

You Thai expats really are a special breed. 5555

On 6/15/2024 at 7:12 AM, palooka said:

You have really shown your true colours as a biased city dweller.

30 staff sorting their own transport and location of that work, to in a foreign country, yeah right, sorting someone to cook and feed those same thirty people, most don't speak any Thai so yeah, YOU KNOW IT ALL.

Have a term I haven't used in ages for people like you, DIP STICK.

You are a dope, you just don't realise it yet.

So I'm really not trying to have a go at you

But isn't if customary for that type of work to transport their workers to the site?

Or do you go and pick up each and every worker at their house ?

I've worked Labour jobs when younger

We'd go the main office or sometimes they'd have a couple pick up spots that they'd pick us up at and transport us to the site

That wasn't considered any sort of perk of the job

On 6/8/2024 at 1:02 AM, Marc26 said:

Could you tell us … for these workers, in this province, what the minimum wage is currently for them?

As you seem to know and are well more versed than some of us on here.

5 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Could you tell us … for these workers, in this province, what the minimum wage is currently for them?

As you seem to know and are well more versed than some of us on here.

Holy shit do any of you idiots know what (?) means????

I asked a question numnut because I don't know

This is the dumbest forum I've ever been involved in

• Thanks 1

Current minimum wage for Thailand can be found on the wageindicator site valid on June 2024. His wage package is for most of Thailand currently at, or above, minimum wage.

I visited Soi 6 Pattaya on Saturday afternoon and can testify there's no labour shortage if anything the place was over stocked with enthusiastic, motivated employees. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, 23RD said:

place was over stocked with enthusiastic, motivated employees.

And were you paying them minimum wage for their time - 353 THB a hour?