Civil Court rules against PM, says he exceeded his constitutional authority

Thaiger

Today, the Thai courts have ruled against Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha by stating he probably overstepped his authority by banning any news/information that could incite fear in the public. The Civil Court issued an emergency injunction after a group of media companies/human rights lawyers petitioned the court. The court says the PM exceeded his constitutional authority to restrict such information and cut offenders’ internet access, regardless of whether the information that was posted was true or not. The decision by the Civil Court comes a week after the PM issued his 29th order during his year and a half old […]

The post Civil Court rules against PM, says he exceeded his constitutional authority appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Today, the Thai courts have ruled against Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha by stating he probably overstepped his authority by banning any news/information that could incite fear in the public. The Civil Court issued an emergency injunction after a group of media companies/human rights lawyers petitioned the court. The court says the PM exceeded his constitutional authority to restrict such information and cut offenders’ internet access, regardless of whether the information that was posted was true or not. The decision by the Civil Court comes a week after the PM issued his 29th order during his year and a half old […]

The post Civil Court rules against PM, says he exceeded his constitutional authority appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

And there is the get out for when they change there minds if pressured to do so perhaps

"stating he probably overstepped his authority"

Wow! This would appear to be an important step towards some semblance of free speech. Telling the PM he does not have absolute power is a public challenge to his authority. Things that make you go "Hmmmm."

• Like 6

So I guess there's no chance of seeing yesterday's insightful op-ed by the 'freelance economist' getting re-posted on the Bangkok Post then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

After the controversial order was issued, the government backtracked a tad to say that it’s permissible to criticise them, provided the criticism is fact-based.

'Fact based' I based my criticism on the fact he's useless as a leader:
Public 'told': 'No riding in the back of pick-up trucks'  Couple of days later the 'order' was rescinded due to the public outcry.
Caught kissing a toad to encourage it to rain.
Many times said Covid was 'under control'. No one ever bothers to say much now, they've got the hang of his talking rollocks. Is this why he wears loose-fitting trousers?

In June 2014 he hated George Orwell's 1984, with those reading it charged with 'eating a sandwich with political intent'. Sounds like the thought police - he thought the police had everything under control.

Yet more recently, he gave Animal Farm the thumbs up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cacadordemim said:

So I guess there's no chance of seeing yesterday's insightful op-ed by the 'freelance economist' getting re-posted on the Bangkok Post then.

Of course I stand corrected as @Stardust has posted the re-posted op-ed in another thread. Here's a link to the article.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2160243/how-to-save-country-when-its-broke

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

'Fact based' I based my criticism on the fact he's useless as a leader:
Public 'told': 'No riding in the back of pick-up trucks'  Couple of days later the 'order' was rescinded due to the public outcry.
Caught kissing a toad to encourage it to rain.
Many times said Covid was 'under control'. No one ever bothers to say much now, they've got the hang of his talking rollocks. Is this why he wears loose-fitting trousers?

In June 2014 he hated George Orwell's 1984, with those reading it charged with 'eating a sandwich with political intent'. Sounds like the thought police - he thought the police had everything under control.

Yet more recently, he gave Animal Farm the thumbs up.

Prayut talks FACTS everyday doesn't he. You just have to quote him and his Govt stupid statements to stay within legal parameters.

• Like 1

Just now, palooka said:

Prayut talks FACTS everyday doesn't he. You just have to quote him and his Govt stupid statements to stay within legal parameters.

Ah, the Department of Stupid Facts. Why does that remind of Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cacadordemim said:

Of course I stand corrected as @Stardust has posted the re-posted op-ed in another thread. Here's a link to the article.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2160243/how-to-save-country-when-its-broke

Some hots out and updated , i guess they blocked first and couldn' t get it through and reposted but it is what I guess

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Is this why he wears loose-fitting trousers

He only wears those when he's starring alongside Prawit in Panto 

" The watchkeeper and I " .. 

IMG_20210806_135456.jpg

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

IMG_20210806_135456.jpg

Thailand is broke and no more money but playing the big patrons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dedinbed said:

They have been doing well in the government pantomime so far.
Prayut: Oh no he hasn't.
Prawit: Oh yes he has.
Prayut: Oh no he hasn't.
Prawit: Oh yes he has.
Prayut: Where?
Prawit: Behind you.

• Haha 3

We are watching death by a thousand cuts. His nose rubbed in the dirt by CRA importing Sinopharm without his prior approval, by the virus taking over the country, once again by CRA stipulating that teenagers be vaccinated with Sinopharm, by having ASEAN select someone from Bhutan rather than Thailand to deal with Myanmar, by having once again having to defer purchase of Chinese submarines, by having to allow Pfizer boosters for medics who were forced to accept his beloved Sinovac, by having to appeal to the private secotor to purchase 20 million+ doses of Sputnik and J&J vaccine, by having nationwide public demonstrations against his dictatorship, and on & on! It is like watching a tsunami slowly build enough power to destroy all it it's path.

• Like 6

It seams Thaiger didn't unite with other media outlets in the fight for free speech and expression or free press? And why not? 

I think the gagging of the press is something you expect only in countries that house dictatorships. Oh, I forgot, that is what this democratically elected government really is. 

Edited by BeingFrank
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, BeingFrank said:

I think the gagging of the press is something you expect only in countries that house dictatorships. Oh, I forgot, that is what this democratically elected government really is. 

Maybe? No. Straight forward, Welcome. If you are legal,  

8 hours ago, Pompies said:

We are watching death by a thousand cuts.

Thailand in a Nutshell..at least in my exps....#1 being the daily question "where you from"...(long sigh)

It is not restricted to the PM but also tech giants which can ban and remove content at their whim reguardless of TOS, What they called fake news in the past but now finding there is enough information to put more investigation into to it.

The only difference is there is no oversight or the so called fact checkers is wrong not answerable to anyone.

4 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Thailand in a Nutshell..at least in my exps....#1 being the daily question "where you from"...(long sigh)

I'm off on one of my side-tracks again, sorry!

I find when I'm even having a conversation in Thai, with someone I don't know, I will be asked the same question, but not clearly (to a ferang mind!) even though I know what they're getting at.

As 'stay' and 'live' are quite often used as the same word, I get asked  คุณอยู่ที่ไหน - where do you live/stay?
I always reply with the name of the village near Udon where I've lived for years.

So often it moves on to  คุณอยู่ประเทศอะไร - which country do you live/stay?
The answer to that is going to be Thailand, as that's where I live.

Then they realise and ask  คุณมาจากประเทศอะไร - which country do you come from?
Then they'll find out I'm from England.

Yes, I'm being a smart-arse and pedantic, but it does go to show that a there are a lot of people who don't ask clear questions. Even Thais talking to each other:

Sometimes my wife and her mother talk on the phone and are not clear.
Recently the in-laws were having trouble with a water pump for draining a fish-breeding pond. I honestly can't remember what the part was, but over the phone M-I-L told my wife to go into town and ask for whatever item the required spare water pump part was.
Wife did that, came back with the replacement, only to be berated for buying the wrong one. Only then did M-I-L explain clearly what type of part they wanted.
Fortunately my wife managed to swap the 'wrong part' for the 'right part' at the shop, as it hadn't been used and she bought it only half an hour earlier.