PM calls for expedited probe into “Sandbox” traveller’s death; victim’s timeline released

Thaiger

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered authorities to expedite the investigation into the case of the Swiss government official who was found dead, possibly raped and murdered, in a creek in Phuket after entering Thailand under the island’s new “Sandbox” reopening scheme. Thailand’s national police chief Suwat Jangyodsuk has flown down to Phuket and is now investigating the case along with detectives from the Crime Suppression Division. 57 year old Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf had entered Thailand on July 13 under the “Phuket Sandbox” reopening scheme and travelled alone. Media in Thailand says she is the assistant protocol chief of the Federal Assembly of […]

The post PM calls for expedited probe into “Sandbox” traveller’s death; victim’s timeline released appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

7 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

“The prime minister has ordered agencies to investigate this case as fast as they can and urged government authorities to ensure the safety of tourists under the tourism sandbox programme.”

Along with ordering officers to quickly identify the suspect and make an arrest, the prime minister called on government agencies to tighten safety and public health measures to support tourists in Phuket, according to the spokesperson.

“Lastly, the prime minister asked all Thais to help promote a positive image of the country to attract foreign tourists who will help stimulate the local economy.”

'The prime minister has ordered agencies to investigate this case as fast as they can' 
What a load of drivel.

The only reason he's interested in this is to save face regarding the sandbox.
Anyone else murdered without having such a high foreign media profile would not even be mentioned.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

[PM Prayut Chan-o-cha]ordered officers to quickly identify the suspect and make an arrest

How can you order this? It just puts huge pressure on the investigation team to arrest someone, anyone to placate their masters. And to do it quickly. 

Everyone wants the perpetrator caught quickly but it has to be the perpetrator, not some poor innocent who is powerless to fight back against such an array of police and officials.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

'The prime minister has ordered agencies to investigate this case as fast as they can' 
What a load of drivel.

Anyone else murdered without having such a high foreign media profile would not even be mentioned.

If the purpose of his involvement is to limit the less than positive P R over this then it's probably too late as most news outlets and some papers are carrying it already .. 

How can you order the Police to arrest someone as soon as possible?....They'll be caught in a matter of days, as the Thai police force are so more technically advanced than any other country. They'll probably end up being a couple of unfortunate workers again who happened to be mysteriously nearby who take the fall, who will be marched through the crime scene to reenact their so called crime.....

• Like 1

This means next to nothing. First of all Prayuth is at the end of his tether. Nobody takes him seriously anymore, and that may include his subordinates. Not sure how brainwashed they are.

Second, if it was a serial killer, like it was on Dark Tao, who is the son of a super wealthy headman, the murderer is above the law, and they will simply stage another show like they did with the two very innocent Burmese guys who were framed by the Dark Tao cops, to save the headman and his son. Same applied to the Red Bull goon. All just a stage show meant to deceive the most naive amongst us. Nobody buys any of it. 

20c2d3ea7ef152c8c1e165237504bcce.gif

7075077230be295c1ac1a3a1994a1ad2.jpg

a6fc24a9a0138821685e6366104a32d4.jpg

Edited by dmacarelli
  • Like 4

A Thai friend of mine tells me a number of Thai chat rooms are saying this was a planned attack in order to close the sandbox. Many people in Phuket are not happy about the sandbox and talk of expansion to other places. They want to discredit it and the attack may have gone too far? It’s a possibility I suppose and dreadful if it was a motive for such a heinous crime . 

23 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

What a load of drivel.

Hands up everyone who had heard of her before she met her untimely demise.

Its quite usual for politicians of any ilk to get involved in a murder case. They're all looking for publicity. He's no worse than the next.

"PM Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered authorities to expedite the investigation into the case of the Swiss government official who was found dead..."

Because if he didn't step in and make this order, of course, nothing would be done.  There would be no investigation, the BiB would write it off as another suicide and all could be quiet and idyillic again on the Jewel of the Andaman.

Theatre, everything is for face.

It stands to reason this would be high profile given Switzerland only recently provided over 1 million COVID-19 test kits to Thailand, about 100 ventilators, and other medical equipment. There were very recent meetings between Swiss and Thai government officials on economic and other issues. Her having had senior Swiss government contacts also adds to the high profile.

So Thailand (including the PM) likely wants to show they are taking this very serious.

This is all very horrific and sad and my condolences go to her family, friends, and work colleagues.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Poolie said:
1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

What a load of drivel.

Hands up everyone who had heard of her before she met her untimely demise.

Its quite usual for politicians of any ilk to get involved in a murder case. They're all looking for publicity. He's no worse than the next.

Exactly. Didn't Inspektor Prayuth similarly swoop down on Koh Tao to forever taint the investigation into the rape and murder of two young English unknowns?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

{snipped}
So Thailand (including the PM) likely wants to show they are taking this very serious.

Now this is slightly OT.
Does the PRC still take crimes against foreigners seriously? in the past didn't they have a policy of death for serious crimes against foreigners?
Perhaps our illustrious leader could follow their party policy and implement the same, seeing as he seems to be their lacky from what I can see.?

I'm sure someone will be along soon to put me right if I remembered incorrectly.

6 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Now this is slightly OT.
Does the PRC still take crimes against foreigners seriously? in the past didn't they have a policy of death for serious crimes against foreigners?
Perhaps our illustrious leader could follow their party policy and implement the same, seeing as he seems to be their lacky from what I can see.?

I'm sure someone will be along soon to put me right if I remembered incorrectly.

No.

1 hour ago, MrJuggles said:

How can you order the Police to arrest someone as soon as possible?....They'll be caught in a matter of days, as the Thai police force are so more technically advanced than any other country. They'll probably end up being a couple of unfortunate workers again who happened to be mysteriously nearby who take the fall, who will be marched through the crime scene to reenact their so called crime.....

The speed of a police arrest is proportional to the pressure applied from politicians. More pressure = faster arrest, irrelevant of guilt.
It''s known as 'Prayut's law of talking rollocks'

• Like 1

Firstly, I would just like to say how very sorry I am for this poor woman and her family, a truly disgraceful act.

Secondly, the PM has ordered a swift investigation to be concluded quickly. Does this mean we will get the actual murder/rapist found?

If I were an illegal migrant worker from Myanmar for example, I would be more worried than usual!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered authorities to expedite the investigation into the case of the Swiss government official who was found dead

Aka find a Myanmar worker and pin it on him ASAP

• Like 1

Yep this is what will happen i predict before Wednesday. Somebody will be offered cash and a get out of Phuket fast no questions asked. All you need to do is point in the waterfall, we wont even show your face admit it and your whisked away, we have done it before and didn't damage the reputation of Phuket. In all seriousness the 1st inspection should be an inspection of her            A to look for traces of Semen, it will still be there. I'm concerned as the statement stated no sign's of Attack. So i hope the old she took a fall and drowned come's up. All they have to do is to explain how her clothes were removed unless of course the BIB say she was changing to get into the water and slipped.

3 hours ago, Tornado said:

In many countries when an Embassy is involved, as she worked for the Swiss Embassy. I just wonder how many tourists were murdered like this before the pandemic. They will have to be more transparent with this one, so the autopsy will be released soon.

FACT CHECK TIME   No the Swiss Federal Assembly is not an Embassy- it is akin to  Parliament or Congress. . 

"Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf, 57,  deputy head of protocol of the Swiss Federal Assembly, arrived at Phuket airport on Singapore Airlines flight SQ726 at 10:34am on July 13, travelling on a Swiss passport. She had a tourist visa set to expire on Aug 26, ..."   Bangkok Post.