Environmental groups urge government to ban the import of plastic waste

Thaiger

The Thai government is being urged to push ahead with a ban on importing plastic waste, instead promoting the recycling of domestic plastic waste. Over 100 environmental groups say this is essential to protecting the environment, as well as creating a circular economy. According to a Bangkok Post report, 107 groups have released a joint statement calling for a ban on importing plastic waste to be introduced this year. In addition, they want laws tightened to remove loopholes that allow the plastic recycling industry to use imported waste. A proposed ban on importing plastic waste, set to be introduced in […]

The post Environmental groups urge government to ban the import of plastic waste appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well environmental groups in almost all other countries are saying exactly the same thing. The issue in Thailand is possibly more pronounced though as there is money to be made out of taking in other peoples rubbish and depending who is making that money, or giving "back -handers" to certain people who allows them to continue making money, then unfortunately the environment always takes second place. 

Think Thailand has more than enough plastic already.

Apparently in India they have found a use for recycled plastic.  They build road base with it and it seems that it works quite well and lasts a long time. They prep the road, lay down a layer of purpose created plastic, then heat it until it bonds with base material, next step is the macadam seal.  Finished road can be used by all types of transport including overloaded Thai trucks and pickups of which there are many.

Could definitely use it here on Provincial roads.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, palooka said:

Think Thailand has more than enough plastic already.

Apparently in India they have found a use for recycled plastic.  They build road base with it and it seems that it works quite well and lasts a long time. They prep the road, lay down a layer of purpose created plastic, then heat it until it bonds with base material, next step is the macadam seal.  Finished road can be used by all types of transport including overloaded Thai trucks and pickups of which there are many.

Could definitely use it here on Provincial roads.

Actually there is even a better more simpler use that the 5 litre empty water bottles can be used for. I did do it myself as an example to local folk as to how they could get hot water with next to nothing expenditure without buying expensive solar heating panels or the like. Unfortunately it was as popular with them as my my business venture in Holland opening a mountain rescue post.

So back to the water bottles. Say use 20 of them. Use cheap pvc pipe and with a pipe to tank connector put in on opposite sides of the bottle then with the pie connecting them all up, and placed in the sun let the water flow in one end and out the other. Bloody hot water for virtually free.

Of course after a while UV degradation will occur and you will need to get some more old empty bottles to replace the damaged ones.

What to do with those old damaged ones I hear you ask ? Well then you put them in the bin for them to be taken away to the landfill site which in turn will harm the environment. So back to square one ? Not in the least as whilst you are waiting to ruin the environment with plastic waste you are after all getting free hot water hence not needing electricity for a water hear hence an environmental saving due to less power production required which in Thailand is fossil fuel driven in the main.

Oh what happened to my demonstration to the locals ? absolutely no interest whatsoever, they just chucked their old 5 litre plastic bottles over my wall as they thought I wanted them ?

My old hometown in California won a green award for being a “green” city. The only reason they earned this title is because they shipped their waste to SE Asian. It’s pretty common in California. Let other countries deal with it 

Fundamentally, plastic is a pest to the environment, but the authorities seems to tolerate it out of believe that we can't function without.

Lesson learned from i.e. Nicaragua when it was under a ban from US, they substituted plastic wrappings with palm leaves etc etc. which is way more charming than the plastic pest.

We humans find alternatives all the time, leading to innovation and progress. When we have to.

Edited by Max-Howl
  • Like 2

Yes Thailand should ban importing plastic waste.  Also i think they should incinerate the plastic waste, its made from petroleum so burn it until replacements are found.  Replace single use water bottles with refilleable bottles, aluminum cans and cardboard drink containers.  I don’t care if it’s inconvenient.

• Like 1

Thanks Thaiger. It's such an important topic to highlight, and especially in this country suffering from ignorance when it comes to protection of the environment.

Countless beach resorts, are simply not seeing the plastic and trash right on their door step. It's not like they don't have the extra hands to go clean up. It's really bad branding,  and impossible to grasp how this can be ignored or accepted by staff and right up to the authorities. How is this possible for a world leader in tourism?

So the government are proposing introducing a quota system with the quota being markedly above the current level of importation.  How green is that?

Honestly a quota system is useless as in this country it would prove infinitely flexible for the right people. 

A complete ban on importation with robust enforcement might work.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

So the government are proposing introducing a quota system with the quota being markedly above the current level of importation.  How green is that?

Honestly a quota system is useless as in this country it would prove infinitely flexible for the right people. 

A complete ban on importation with robust enforcement might work.

A robust enforcement would work but remember, there is money involved here. My guess is the Government will pay lip service.

4 hours ago, Farang-Ba said:

Yes Thailand should ban importing plastic waste.  Also i think they should incinerate the plastic waste, its made from petroleum so burn it until replacements are found.  Replace single use water bottles with refilleable bottles, aluminum cans and cardboard drink containers.  I don’t care if it’s inconvenient.

I'm not sure I agree with burning it, it's just causing an alternative pollution. Most plastics are recyclable into things you would never think possible. Many European Countries have designated bins per household for plastics, glass, cardboard etc. All recyclable. Time for most of Thailand to get up to date. Koh Samui banned plastic straws3 years ago along with discouraging customers from asking for plastic carriers. I think Jay and Tim (Good Morning Phuket) are trying to reinvent the wheel.

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Thai government is being urged to push ahead with a ban on importing plastic waste, instead promoting the recycling of domestic plastic waste. Over 100 environmental groups say this is essential to protecting the environment, as well as creating a circular economy. According to a Bangkok Post report, 107 groups have released a joint statement calling for a ban on importing plastic waste to be introduced this year. In addition, they want laws tightened to remove loopholes that allow the plastic recycling industry to use imported waste. A proposed ban on importing plastic waste, set to be introduced in […]

The post Environmental groups urge government to ban the import of plastic waste appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

In Europe and elsewhere, there are biological cloth bags to buy or get for free.  With a logo of their company name or something they stand for etc.  Start a trend with a cool biological cloth bag with Thigernews for the environment of Thai?  ??

I realy hope they lissen and ban it thou

• Thanks 1

And sell the for like 200 bath or something and make it go to this people, Bangkok help community. Im sure that will make bath for them and less plastic bags around ?

The biggest scourge of all is the styrofoam boxes that are used in takeaway food. They are not biodegradable, they last for over a thousand years when buried in the ground, they are banned in most European countries and they are simple to replace with degradable cardboard. Come on Thailand surely there is a business there for the taking. You will be wealthy and doing your country and its people a great service.

Paul

• Like 1