News Forum - Scorching heat and thunderstorms ahead for Thailand, warns TMD

Thaiger

The Meteorological Department of Thailand (TMD) forecasts a mix of scorching heat and thunderstorms over the next seven days, warning of potential heavy downpours affecting 30% of the area. The forecast, spanning from today until March 27, indicates that a westerly wind from Myanmar will pass through the northern and northeastern regions as well as … …

The story Scorching heat and thunderstorms ahead for Thailand, warns TMD as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is 26C here every day at this time of year in Phuket, and it will be so until the end of May, can you send us some rain please as my car needs a good wash and I have forgotten what rain looks like? 😃

2 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

It is 26C here every day at this time of year in Phuket, and it will be so until the end of May, can you send us some rain please as my car needs a good wash and I have forgotten what rain looks like? 😃

You really don't seem to live in the same Phuket I've lived in and been going to for 20 years 5555

No traffic in Kathu and Phuket only gets to 26 C in April is entirely different than any Phuket I have ever experienced 

I will be there in April and I truly hope I am wrong and you are right

But I am pretty sure I will be back in this thread posting temps in the 30's, if not high 30's

Again I would love to be wrong......

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You really don't seem to live in the same Phuket I've lived in and been going to for 20 years 5555

No traffic in Kathu and Phuket only gets to 26 C in April is entirely different than any Phuket I have ever experienced 

I will be there in April and I truly hope I am wrong and you are right

But I am pretty sure I will be back in this thread posting temps in the 30's, if not high 30's

Again I would love to be wrong......

It was a typo, it was meant to be 36C, as far as I know, the high of the day has never been as low as 26C in Phuket.

If that was the case (which it isn't) it would be even more perfect than normal living here, thank god for aircon. 

I was out today and the traffic was OK.

Once past the junction coming into Kathu from the mountain the traffic is much less, that is the real bottleneck.

The problem is roundabouts are too complicated for Thais to use as far as I can see from the very few roundabouts I have been on here, everyone looks at everyone else wondering what to do. And so we end up with lots of traffic lights. 

Maybe we have a different idea of what busy means, I was in BKK for a few days earlier this month and the traffic seem to be at a standstill most of the time.

Before moving to Phuket I lived in London and the traffic in Phuket is nothing compared to that.

But as I said before I had a trip to Kamala and a few miles further north and the traffic was at a standstill, a lot busier than here, but as I said it does get busy during the rush hour.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, PhuketBloke said:

It was a typo, it was meant to be 36C, as far as I know, the high of the day has never been as low as 26C in Phuket.

If that was the case (which it isn't) it would be even more perfect than normal living here, thank god for aircon. 

Once past the junction coming into Kathu from the mountain the traffic is much less, that is the real bottleneck.

The problem is roundabouts are too complicated for Thais to use as far as I can see from the very few roundabouts I have been on here, everyone looks at everyone else wondering what to do. And so we end up with lots of traffic lights. 

Maybe we have a different idea of what busy means, I was in BKK for a few days earlier this month and the traffic seem to be at a standstill most of the time.

Before moving to Phuket I lived in London and the traffic in Phuket is nothing compared to that.

But as I said before I had a trip to Kamala and a few miles further north and the traffic was at a standstill, a lot busier than here, but as I said it does get busy during the rush hour.

P.s.

I walked around the dam which is about ten minutes from my house on my daily walk.

Large parts of it are empty and dry and the general level is very low in the other areas of the dam, we need the rains to come soon.

Roll on May, from now until May it is the hottest part of the year in Phuket.

Edited by PhuketBloke
typo

The governor for Phuket was on TV last week saying the water reserves were at 80% and growing. He was confident that there would be no shortage of water.

Last night was one of the heaviest deluges I have seen in the Hua Hin region for this time of year. The soi in front of  my building had a good 2 cm coating. Driving around today, almost all of the water had drained away but lower areas still had  large amounts of water in some areas. You couldn't tell there had been a downpour the night before. It was really needed as the area has been bone dry for awhile and the surrounding hills are parched.

12 minutes ago, Vigo said:

The governor for Phuket was on TV last week saying the water reserves were at 80% and growing. He was confident that there would be no shortage of water.

Last night was one of the heaviest deluges I have seen in the Hua Hin region for this time of year. The soi in front of  my building had a good 2 cm coating. Driving around today, almost all of the water had drained away but lower areas still had  large amounts of water in some areas. You couldn't tell there had been a downpour the night before. It was really needed as the area has been bone dry for awhile and the surrounding hills are parched.

I have just seen there are two other dams as well as the Bang Wad, but this is the largest and it is not 60% full as far as I can see.

There are some markers showing the depth along the dam wall so I will have a look tomorrow and read the water level.

As I walked around the dam at about 1.5 miles parts of the dam floor could be seen as those parts were dry.

There is also a floating pumping station that is now low in the water.

The rainy season starts in May in Phuket so we should be OK until then.

Send us some rain from HH. 👍

3 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

Ok

I wish it was 26C!!

Although I don't mind the high temps when on a short holiday

As for the traffic

I think we are debating traffic vs congestion 

Kathu is a very busy traffic area but as you pointed out it has thruways so it flows through

Whereas north of Kamala are single roads and highly congested 

Which I 100% agree

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Ok

I wish it was 26C!!

Although I don't mind the high temps when on a short holiday

As for the traffic

I think we are debating traffic vs congestion 

Kathu is a very busy traffic area but as you pointed out it has thruways so it flows through

Whereas north of Kamala are single roads and highly congested 

Which I 100% agree

Bleedin' ell, we are agreeing we must be getting old.😃