News Forum - Chiang Mai tops world’s most polluted cities due to rampant forest fires

Thaiger

Chiang Mai, a province in northern Thailand, has been blanketed by worsening haze, catapulting it to the top of the list of the world’s ten most polluted cities. The thick smog is a direct consequence of forest fires that have been burning unabated for approximately two weeks. The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (Gistda) … …

The story Chiang Mai tops world’s most polluted cities due to rampant forest fires as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Good for all those expats who have happily retired there from their native countries pushing the cost of living higher in the city. 🤣

4 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Good for all those expats who have happily retired there from their native countries pushing the cost of living higher in the city. 🤣

Quite the opposite, the fires have been going on annually for decades meaning house prices decreased, which means the retired farangs can afford to buy a house in Chiang Mai and one in Hua Hin for example, and stay there during the four months of smoke season. 

I know quite a few farangs who have done that. 

So Mr Resentful, how do you like them apples as the Americans would say? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

Quite the opposite, the fires have been going on annually for decades meaning house prices decreased, which means the retired farangs can afford to buy a house in Chiang Mai and one in Hua Hin for example, and stay there during the four months of smoke season. 

Wow..that is a smart way of living. Killing many birds in one stone.

• Like 1

Thailand air quality has been poor over the past year when compared to alternative destinations.  Hua Hin air quality is consistently not good. It is running between 62-65 AQI. For reference sake; Bangkok is at 65. Patong - 57, Krabi -60, koh Samui -50

Miami is at 20. Most large Japanese cities including Tokyo are below 25. Da Nang is 45.  Siem Reap is 45-47. Much of Cuba is well below 10 with Havana at 8. Mexican resorts are almost all below 25. Most of Hawaii 5-10.

Thailand used to offer clean air as a benefit to tourists, now it is the same as going to a big filthy 3rd world city. Even large Chinese cities are doing better with beijing and Shanghai coming in at 50 each.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Thailand air quality has been poor over the past year when compared to alternative destinations.  Hua Hin air quality is consistently not good. It is running between 62-65 AQI. For reference sake; Bangkok is at 65. Patong - 57, Krabi -60, koh Samui -50

Miami is at 20. Most large Japanese cities including Tokyo are below 25. Da Nang is 45.  Siem Reap is 45-47. Much of Cuba is well below 10 with Havana at 8. Mexican resorts are almost all below 25. Most of Hawaii 5-10.

Thailand used to offer clean air as a benefit to tourists, now it is the same as going to a big filthy 3rd world city. Even large Chinese cities are doing better with beijing and Shanghai coming in at 50 each.

My wife is from close to Hua Hin

And I've enjoyed time spent there but I would never live there 

To me, it is far too congested.....

20 hours ago, Vigo said:

I have two air monitors as a cross-check in Phuket, the readings are generally around 10 (PM2.5) but I do not live next to a busy road.

This area hardly has any traffic as the internal roads are for residents only.

I will take one out with me tomorrow and see what the readings are in other areas. 

19 hours ago, Marc26 said:

My wife is from close to Hua Hin

And I've enjoyed time spent there but I would never live there 

To me, it is far too congested.....

It is funny how different people see things differently, I was in HH last year for a few days, and to me, it was too quiet. 

Maybe it is because I live in a quiet relatively recently created village in Phuket with security guards and barriers hence no through traffic, when I go out the noise and commotion are a contrast so I enjoy the noise and hustle and bustle. 

When I go to places like Patong now and then with the group for a few beers I feel like I am on a day trip to a different country. 

Edited by PhuketBloke
typo

23 minutes ago, PhuketBloke said:

It is funny how different people see things differently, I was in HH last year for a few days, and to me, it was too quiet. 

I was really just talking about the traffic on that main road through the town and the street above it

Can be pretty brutal 

I love Bangkok 

But if I am anywhere else in Thailand, I hate dealing with traffic

I stay in Kamala a lot and I usually only stay in Kamala or go to Surin beach

Easy on the MB

If you go anywhere north past Surin there is so much congestion it makes it so unpleasant