Covid UPDATE Sunday: 18,027 infections, expat vaccine registration

Thaiger

Today the public health department has announced an additional 18,027 infections and 133 Covid-related deaths from the past 24 hours. 374 of the new cases were found in Thai prisons. 13,402 patients have been released from hospital. Yesterday there were 18,912 new infections announced, a record high. Thai provincial totals for Sunday will be published early this afternoon on thethaiger.com • Registration for the FIRST dose of the government’s free roll out of Covid vaccination for foreign residents for all age groups in all provinces starts Monday, August 1, at 11 am. Go to expatvac.consular.go.th Good luck with that and please report […]

The post Covid UPDATE Sunday: 18,027 infections, expat vaccine registration appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Yesterday there were 18,912 new infections announced, a record high.

If you would be a tourist , would you come here now ?

And still they plan for a full opening in octobre ?

Time to become realistic .

As that thai doctor said yesterday : ' the worst is yet to come '

• Like 7

This is going to get worse before it gets better.  I have been saying for a while that it will last until mid 2022, but I am now thinking those who said 2023 might be right.  The reason is that this new 'delta' Indian variant is very bad and highly contagious.  According to CDC:

"The CDC warned House lawmakers that the delta variant sweeping across the country is as contagious as chickenpox, has a longer transmission window than the original Covid-19 strain and may make older people sicker, even if they’ve been fully vaccinated."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/delta-cdc-warns-variant-is-as-contagious-as-chickenpox-may-make-people-sicker.html

My understanding of 'normal' virus behavior if that they mutate to become more contagious but less lethal as this is the best strategy to survive long term.  If the CDC is right, and they are saying it is too early yet to be totally certain (more data needed over longer period), this could get worse and take a lot longer to abate than what I and many others assumed.  I guess that by September we will know one way or the other. 

It was not only Thailand that 'opened up' as vaccinations rolled out - most of the world did the same - and numbers are going up everywhere. If things keep going as they are, then lockdowns will be back everywhere and who knows how long it will last. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

Time to become realistic .

No way.  It was always a little risky 4 weeks ago. Now it is crazy.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

This is going to get worse before it gets better.  I have been saying for a while that it will last until mid 2022, but I am now thinking those who said 2023 might be right.  The reason is that this new 'delta' Indian variant is very bad and highly contagious.  According to CDC:

"The CDC warned House lawmakers that the delta variant sweeping across the country is as contagious as chickenpox, has a longer transmission window than the original Covid-19 strain and may make older people sicker, even if they’ve been fully vaccinated."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/delta-cdc-warns-variant-is-as-contagious-as-chickenpox-may-make-people-sicker.html

My understanding of 'normal' virus behavior if that they mutate to become more contagious but less lethal as this is the best strategy to survive long term.  If the CDC is right, and they are saying it is too early yet to be totally certain (more data needed over longer period), this could get worse and take a lot longer to abate than what I and many others assumed.  I guess that by September we will know one way or the other. 

It was not only Thailand that 'opened up' as vaccinations rolled out - most of the world did the same - and numbers are going up everywhere. If things keep going as they are, then lockdowns will be back everywhere and who knows how long it will last. 

I agree with just about everything you've said but I think October not September will be a telling time given the ad hoc vaccine roll out.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nobodysfriend said:

Tourists are vaccinated and young and healthy, they should have nothing to worry of. Most of them have lived through the same phase in their own country already.

Germany has comparable population to Thailand and they were clocking 30k infections and 300 deaths per day back in April. France and the UK are living through that phase once again right now. They see the efficacy of their high-quality vaccines.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Guevara said:

I agree with just about everything you've said but I think October not September will be a telling time given the ad hoc vaccine roll out.

Yeh - maybe October indeed.  And that is when he who must be obeyed said the country will be fully open. 

20 minutes ago, THETRUTH said:

Tourists are vaccinated and young and healthy, they should have nothing to worry of. Most of them have lived through the same phase in their own country already.

Germany has comparable population to Thailand and they were clocking 30k infections and 300 deaths per day back in April. France and the UK are living through that phase once again right now. They see the efficacy of their high-quality vaccines.

Quite possibly, but what are they coming for?

To re-live old times of being masked-up, having bars, restaurants and shopping malls closed, no travel without permission, no concerts or sports events, and not being able to get a haircut?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Just hope that a 4th wave as in France is not going to happen, or the virus mutates to a super virus that can render vaccines u/s or very limited, it's entirely possible this COULD happen it may not.Virus's and bacteria have been mutating for decades and are winning the fight so far, as we cannot find cures so easily that  we did a long time ago even with modern methods, they have learned how to mutate against almost everything we throw at them. I agree there's more to come given the bad handling of the vaccines, vaccinations, restrictions and lockdowns.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, THETRUTH said:

While certainly true, it’s also not the only issue. There is risk of other kinds in traveling to Thailand right now. Sit on the wrong spot on a plane and it’s off to a 14 day quarantine. Same with anywhere you go in Thailand. Wrong place at the wrong time and it’s a 14 day quarantine for you. And then there is the distinct possibility of ending up in a lockdown for part of or the entire trip. Never mind the lack of bars, pubs and entertainment centers. You also have a good old curfew to look forward to while on vacation. Im looking forward to returning, but I have a hard time seeing the risk vs reward turning favorable this year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nobodysfriend said:

Ahhh come on, that can't be right. We all know it is Bozo breath and side-kick monkey boy of the Ministry of Health who see and know all telling us the real facts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Today the public health department has announced an additional 18,027 infections and 133 Covid-related deaths from the past 24 hours. 374 of the new cases were found in Thai prisons. 13,402 patients have been released from hospital. Yesterday there were 18,912 new infections announced, a record high. Thai provincial totals for Sunday will be published early this afternoon on thethaiger.com • Registration for the FIRST dose of the government’s free roll out of Covid vaccination for foreign residents for all age groups in all provinces starts Monday, August 1, at 11 am. Go to expatvac.consular.go.th Good luck with that and please report […]

The post Covid UPDATE Sunday: 18,027 infections, expat vaccine registration appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Monday is August 2. I'm sitting on August 1. 

• Like 2

And the server appears down already and then when you refreash it it states "email already been taken". Used up 3 of my emails now 

Error (#476)

An internal server error occurred.

The above error occurred while the Web server was processing your request.

Please contact us if you think this is a server error. Thank you.

and secure server not working, man is it that difficult, could better hire me to fix this lol

i came to enter your email so i did, then this error came try to reload and type in my email again he says already registered, i am not sure or there are more steps but i am running out of emails lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Yeh - maybe October indeed.  And that is when he who must be obeyed said the country will be fully open. 

naaahh won't happen like with anything else, if they keep on going like they already do for months

• Like 1

Tried to register with email address then got an error code, so tried again with same email system states email is registered, so no idea... looks liked system crashed. 

The registration link doesn’t work, after email input it says this email is already taken. Also the date says Monday 1st August but today is 1st and it’s Sunday!

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

An internal server error occurred

Yeah, with the person heading the ministry and his boss, it is always an internal error.

• Haha 2

Registration for COVID-19 - I put in an already registered email address, was bounced off as “email address has already been taken”. Tried again with different email address but server returned with “500 internal server error”. Tried again with this email address but was rejected as this email “has already been taken”. Tried with 3rd email address. Same ritual - server error, reentered email #3, and rejected. Tried with 5 email addresses all but one of which has never been used to register and all of which are my personal email addresses so no one else has used them. Now I have run out of email addresses. there is no way to reenter the registration system to input my data and proceed with registration. 

1 hour ago, THETRUTH said:

I suggest you  have a good look at Thailand's tourism demographic. TATs darlings were the Chinese and they were typically middle aged or older.  No one is coming from China.  The sweet spot are the retirees from nordic countries. They are pure profit and they are not coming back this year.

The German experience is not comparable because; Germany experienced the original variant which was less contagious and less lethal than the deadly Delta variant. Germany had a well capitalized,  staffed modern health network. No one was left to die as occurred in Italy, the USA or Canada. Germany managed well with its medicine supply. Thailand doesn't have the health care capability. If hundreds of patients need critical care, the system will collapse because there are not enough physicians or support staff. Thailand's patients rely on their families to take care of them when they go to hospital. It cannot be done with Covid19 patients.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

My understanding of 'normal' virus behavior if that they mutate to become more contagious but less lethal as this is the best strategy to survive long term.

Viruses behave in the long-term best-interest of their genetic material. If a virus is highly deadly, say Ebola, but easy to avoid being a victim - don't butcher monkeys, don't let Auntie sneeze blood on you - your assumption holds. If the virus is hard to transmit (like flu with R0=1.8) and does not have a host reservoir in people (like flu) then every year is a crapshoot, deathwise. Bird flu, swine flu, whatever it changes every year. BUT, if you have a pathogen that has established humans as a host reservoir (as COVID has done), is very easily transmissible (COVID), AND can be transmitted pre-symptomatically (COVID again), then evolution doesn't care if it kills the host because the genes have already been passed on to the future. It's entirely possible that SARS-CoV-2 could throw a highly contagious and highly infectious variant and not affect its evolutionary prospects a bit.

What has impressed me is the speed at which new variants of COVID are taking over. The first mutation that swept through Italy and New York went global. Alpha - global. Delta - global. That's basically three separate pandemics in the past two years. Given the timing so far, the next variant of concern is already out there. Crazy stuff, this.

• Like 4