News Forum - Thai govt announces largest ever Songkran festival

Thaiger

The Thai government recently sent waves of panic through Thai expats with an announcement that this year’s Songkran, the Thai New Year, would be the largest ever, celebrated from April 1 to April 21. The terror stemmed from the misconception that this would mean 21 days of water-throwing, a popular but divisive feature of Songkran, … …

The story Thai govt announces largest ever Songkran festival as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Who cares what the miserable so-called ex-pats think or want, this is Thailand no FarangLand.

Ridiculous state of affairs.

Desperate water shortage everywhere and the Thais are encouraged to chuck it away.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PhuketBloke said:

Who cares what the miserable so-called ex-pats think or want, this is Thailand no FarangLand.

Personally, I fxxxxxg hate SK. Stock up, lock the gates and stay out of the way of the water throwing lunatics.  Okay, its a Thai Festival, and good for them, it's the stupid drunk farangs and their idiotic water guns I can't stand.  No doubt there will be the usual 'thinning out' of the population of  drunks on bikes and in cars, which  can only be viewed as a positive, so long as they don't take any innocents with them,  Roll on May.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Personally, I fxxxxxg hate SK. Stock up, lock the gates and stay out of the way of the water throwing lunatics.  Okay, its a Thai Festival, and good for them, it's the stupid drunk farangs and their idiotic water guns I can't stand.  No doubt there will be the usual 'thinning out' of the population of  drunks on bikes and in cars, which  can only be viewed as a positive, so long as they don't take any innocents with them,  Roll on May.  

I take the easy way out, I do my Songkran run in a car with the windows closed and the doors locked, you get to see all the fun without getting wet.

The convoy of cars goes on for miles in Phuket at just a few miles per hour. 

The majority of the crowds are Thai and they enjoy splashing the few farangs (even if it means splashing only the car) as they think it brings more luck to them.

I think it only lasts two days in Phuket.

It is good all the miseries stay indoors, more fun for us as they would only put a damper on it for the rest of us (pun intended). 😃

You mentioned May, which is the worst month of the year, too hot and humid, that is the month I stock up and stay indoors.

7 minutes ago, PhuketBloke said:

think it only lasts two days in Phuket.

You're lucky it's 9 days here in Pattaya and it's a Chav fest.

• Like 3

Songkran is fine so long as you are somewhere that the mass tourists don't go! My idea of Hell is Songkran on Khao San Road, in Pattaya or in Phuket. Bangkok suburbs is fine Hua Hin is also quite restrained and only 1 day. The problem (apart from the drunk driving which happens pretty much everywhere) is concentrated where the tourists are.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 3:12 AM, Thaiger said:

celebrated from April 1 to April 21. The terror stemmed from the misconception that this would mean 21 days of water-throwing

Yes, there will still be water play, but it will be limited to the official days and not the whole 21-day period, clarified a Thai official. So, fear not, this doesn’t mean 21 days of water-throwing across Thailand.

Yes, of course, the "common" Thai people, plus the stup.., eh, event-tourists will check with the official day planning while in Thailand. 

Just checking options, perhaps a Japan to China Grand Prix holiday? Plus a couple of city visits, in between?

3 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Songkran is fine so long as you are somewhere that the mass tourists don't go! My idea of Hell is Songkran on Khao San Road, in Pattaya or in Phuket. Bangkok suburbs is fine Hua Hin is also quite restrained and only 1 day. The problem (apart from the drunk driving which happens pretty much everywhere) is concentrated where the tourists are.

Worst I ever experienced was in Kanchanaburi on that main strip where bars are

I was with my family and we were at a hotel off that road

Just really drunk Thai guys looking like they wanted trouble all up and down the street

I had a blast with my stepson when he was younger in the madness of Silom Rd

I've had fun in Phuket

Bangkok can be tricky if you are heading out for a nice dinner 

• Like 1

I made my travel plans as soon as I saw the announcement of an extended Songkran. Previously made the mistake of being in Patong and Chiang Mai during Songkran a few times and regretted it. In the tourist & whore districts it is just an excuse for lowlifes to attack people, particularly farangs. To claim otherwise is a denial of the reality. 

Songkran in some places mirrors a Star Trek episode where a town goes wild during  "festival", until the draconian power of Landru is cast. (Plot synopsis:  Kirk, Spock and McCoy beam down to the planet Beta III. The citizenry appear calm and respectful except when the Festival begins - where everyone apparently every goes mad and falls into violent abandon and debauchery. By next morning, all is calm again and the elders tell of Landru, who is in control and is the lawgiver.) That plot sums up Thailand during Songkran.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vigo said:

I made my travel plans as soon as I saw the announcement of an extended Songkran. Previously made the mistake of being in Patong and Chiang Mai during Songkran a few times and regretted it. In the tourist & whore districts it is just an excuse for lowlifes to attack people, particularly farangs. To claim otherwise is a denial of the reality. 

Songkran in some places mirrors a Star Trek episode where a town goes wild during  "festival", until the draconian power of Landru is cast. (Plot synopsis:  Kirk, Spock and McCoy beam down to the planet Beta III. The citizenry appear calm and respectful except when the Festival begins - where everyone apparently every goes mad and falls into violent abandon and debauchery. By next morning, all is calm again and the elders tell of Landru, who is in control and is the lawgiver.) That plot sums up Thailand during Songkran.

I had my fun a couple of times

And my wife would prefer she go to her village without me so she can enjoy it without worrying about me if I am there 

And I am fine with that....

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:26 PM, PhuketBloke said:

Understandable sentiment if it weren't for the PM putting nearly more effort into his misguided "soft power" ideas than the foolish digital wallet scheme.  He is depending on the farang for their spending, so at least the government cares, and quite a bit.

Where I live there are very few farang, so we are targets of the "fun loving" water throwers.

My wife and I used to enjoy it and participate in the revelry but now, with age, if not wisdom, we avoid being out and might do a closed-up car drive through one active street in our city.

18 hours ago, Vigo said:

Most of the area in Puket is not a brothel as you seem to point out, a lot of the low-life farangs think it is as that is where they spend most of their holidays, they never know of the farang-free areas of the island.

A bit like the Arabs who visit London, they think all English women are on the game as they are the only group they mix with. 

I was out in my car in Songkrah last year but not in Patong, it was not as mad as you make out. 

8 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Understandable sentiment if it weren't for the PM putting nearly more effort into his misguided "soft power" ideas than the foolish digital wallet scheme.  He is depending on the farang for their spending, so at least the government cares, and quite a bit.

Where I live there are very few farang, so we are targets of the "fun loving" water throwers.

My wife and I used to enjoy it and participate in the revelry but now, with age, if not wisdom, we avoid being out and might do a closed-up car drive through one active street in our city.

There are very few farangs in Thailand and those that are here spend bugger all anyway compared to the 30 to 40 million tourists (pre-pandemic) who come here spending around 5000 baht a day. 

The tourists seem to enjoy Songkran otherwise they would not come. They are the real earners for Thailand, not the few old farangs living here with their miserly pensions. 

Farangs should shut up and stop moaning as they are giving all of us farangs a bad name. 

1 hour ago, PhuketBloke said:

There are very few farangs in Thailand and those that are here spend bugger all anyway compared to the 30 to 40 million tourists (pre-pandemic) who come here spending around 5000 baht a day. 

The tourists seem to enjoy Songkran otherwise they would not come. They are the real earners for Thailand, not the few old farangs living here with their miserly pensions. 

Farangs should shut up and stop moaning as they are giving all of us farangs a bad name. 

I've said this for years

Yes expats add to the economy 

But nowhere near what so many of them think they do

Plus......

Add in the rise of the middle classs in Thailand over the last 2 decades 

And their financial attractiveness isn't what they think it is

7 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

Most of the area in Puket is not a brothel as you seem to point out, a lot of the low-life farangs think it is as that is where they spend most of their holidays, they never know of the farang-free areas of the island.

A bit like the Arabs who visit London, they think all English women are on the game as they are the only group they mix with. 

I was out in my car in Songkrah last year but not in Patong, it was not as mad as you make out. 

I did not generalize Phuket as a brothel, as I  wrote  "In the tourist & whore districts", meaning specific districts.    Having spent several years in Patong and the strip between Kalim and Kata, I think I have a good idea of where these districts are.  I also know that the  interior of the island, the so called "farang free zones" are not really farang free.  I also stayed in the Laguna area. Nicer, but high density souless developments.  Rawai was initially Phuket's waiting room for death, but the influx of  Russians made it the Russia thug zone.  I got out of Dodge before the real estate market started to stagnate. The island is awash with condos 10 years+ that are not easy to sell and that require upgrades to replace the windows  and electrical systems that  degraded during the build them fast, build them cheap period when the island was booming. Yes, so I think I know the place. Spent  mid December in Patong for a friends reunion and could not wait to get out of there. Traffic, bad air, inadequate road capacity  such that no one wanted to go anywhere as we were always stuck in traffic. And of course, the same problems with the Patong hill and runaway trucks and landslides. 

7 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

Farang are farang, regardless of whether they are tourists or residents.  I never said I was commenting on residents.

Even tourist-wise, where I live there are very few farang, so we are always targets of the "fun loving" Thai water throwers.

I'm not a farang moaner.  Just another guy who lives here.

• Like 1

Don’t know what all the fuss is about, personally. To participate to Songkran requires a change in routine to do so. No farang in his/her right mind is out and about at this time year during the heat of the day, when the water fights take place. For me, it’s business as usual (stocking up for the day ahead early in the morning before it gets too hot), and then retreating to the house for the remainder of the day. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I've said this for years

Yes expats add to the economy 

But nowhere near what so many of them think they do

Plus......

Add in the rise of the middle classs in Thailand over the last 2 decades 

And their financial attractiveness isn't what they think it is

I agree but many seem to think they should have special rights here, perhaps they are supporting their wife or partner and her extensive family financially in a small village in the middle of nowhere and think they are the kings of their very narrow domain and thus expect to be treated with importance.

You mentioned the phrase "financial attractiveness", as far as I can see in most cases the only reason young girls are with much older farangs is purely down to their "financial attractiveness". 

Re middle-class Thais, I live in a gated area in Phuket, there are about three hundred houses here, I have only seen a handful of farangs over the last ten years living here, and some of the houses are empty for long periods as they are holiday homes for many Thais living in Bangkok. 

Houses are cheap in Thailand, the houses here cost about 5 million baht, but that is expensive if it is a holiday home for a Thai, but many middle-class Thai can afford one, they were all sold off plan within a few weeks of going up for sale. 

Some farangs do make me laugh though as they think they have a deep knowledge of Thailand after living here, for example twenty years, I always laugh to myself as I have seen in many cases they have twenty years experience of living in a bubble with the same daily events occurring over and over with very little extensive experience.  

9 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Don’t know what all the fuss is about, personally. To participate to Songkran requires a change in routine to do so. No farang in his/her right mind is out and about at this time year during the heat of the day, when the water fights take place. For me, it’s business as usual (stocking up for the day ahead early in the morning before it gets too hot), and then retreating to the house for the remainder of the day. Rinse and repeat.

Car, aircon, Songkran, windows closed,  good fun, in comfort. 

14 hours ago, Vigo said:

I did not generalize Phuket as a brothel, as I  wrote  "In the tourist & whore districts", meaning specific districts.    Having spent several years in Patong and the strip between Kalim and Kata, I think I have a good idea of where these districts are.  I also know that the  interior of the island, the so called "farang free zones" are not really farang free.  I also stayed in the Laguna area. Nicer, but high density souless developments.  Rawai was initially Phuket's waiting room for death, but the influx of  Russians made it the Russia thug zone.  I got out of Dodge before the real estate market started to stagnate. The island is awash with condos 10 years+ that are not easy to sell and that require upgrades to replace the windows  and electrical systems that  degraded during the build them fast, build them cheap period when the island was booming. Yes, so I think I know the place. Spent  mid December in Patong for a friends reunion and could not wait to get out of there. Traffic, bad air, inadequate road capacity  such that no one wanted to go anywhere as we were always stuck in traffic. And of course, the same problems with the Patong hill and runaway trucks and landslides. 

I still frequent Kamala quite a bit, will be back in about 10 weeks

And I think even most other areas, Kata, Karon, Kamala, etc.  .

If you are where you want to be it's great

I stay in Kamala and usually will just venture to Surin Beach some days 

So in that bubble, with a MB, it's great

But to leave it, there is so much traffic, that it takes away any sort of island vibe

You mentioned Laguna

The traffic outside of Laguna is just downright unpleasant