News Forum - Chiang Mai tourism booms as Chinese New Year approaches

Thaiger

The northern city of Chiang Mai in Thailand is experiencing a tourism bonanza as hotel bookings surge to a staggering 90%, with Chinese New Year reservations already topping 60%. Paisan Sukcharoen, president of the Northern Upper Region Hotel Association of Thailand affirms that Chiang Mai’s tourism scene is on an upward trajectory. The cool embrace … …

The story Chiang Mai tourism booms as Chinese New Year approaches as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A lot of stories on here talking the big talk about Chinese visitors coming back to rescue the economy.

I thought the Chinese economy was in the can. Obviously we consume different news in the UK.

• Like 1

Yes, Chinese economy is having problems. However, it is a nation  of 1 billion.  In a  worst case scenario it can be expected that 10% or 100 million people would still have enough income with which to travel. Not unreasonable to expect a few million would visit Thailand. In a scenario where 25% of the population has sufficient funds to take at least one annual low cost holiday, it is a certainty that  millions of Chinese would then pick affordable Thailand.

19 hours ago, Vigo said:

Yes, Chinese economy is having problems. However, it is a nation  of 1 billion.  In a  worst case scenario it can be expected that 10% or 100 million people would still have enough income with which to travel. Not unreasonable to expect a few million would visit Thailand. In a scenario where 25% of the population has sufficient funds to take at least one annual low cost holiday, it is a certainty that  millions of Chinese would then pick affordable Thailand.

All makes sense mathematically. I see. A big, big market, no denying that. But how many North Americans and Europeans would be at the same income level as or higher than the 10th percentile in China? A hellava lot more than 100 million I am sure and a better quality visitor as well. Much beter quality. 

Without 60 years of western investment, tourism and support, Thailand would be in the can too, down there with Myanmar and Cambodia. But they don’t care.  “Thanks for all the cash, now we’re going to cozy up to China. Bye” Plus tne longer tourist visas for the grumpy Russian draft dodgers. 

Thailand doesn’t know which side of the bread is buttered.

2 hours ago, Sparrows said:

All makes sense mathematically. I see. A big, big market, no denying that. But how many North Americans and Europeans would be at the same income level as or higher than the 10th percentile in China? A hellava lot more than 100 million I am sure and a better quality visitor as well. Much beter quality. 

Without 60 years of western investment, tourism and support, Thailand would be in the can too, down there with Myanmar and Cambodia. But they don’t care.  “Thanks for all the cash, now we’re going to cozy up to China. Bye” Plus tne longer tourist visas for the grumpy Russian draft dodgers. 

Yet Thailand is the best place for us to retire to. I know what side of the bread is buttered.

Your statement is nonsensical.👍

3 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Yet Thailand is the best place for us to retire to. I know what side of the bread is buttered.

Well it's not even close to the best place to retire to

It's your choice and your happythere (and will be mine as well)

But to say it's the best place to retire is just not based in fact

The extreme lack of any permanent immigration 

The lack of ability to work/own business solo

The lack of land ownership 

There are a bunch of countries that offer much more attractive incentives to retirees

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sparrows said:

You failed to mention the geography aspect 

Why wouldn't Thailand look to attract tourists that are closer to them?

It only makes sense

PS....I hate Chinese tourists 

19 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

There are a bunch of countries that offer much more attractive incentives to retirees

But you may or may not get shot and robbed in the street👍 go for it😆

At least we are safe here in the land of smiles.🙂

20 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You failed to mention the geography aspect 

It only makes sense

PS....I hate Chinese tourists 

Can you stop being racist for just one quote please.................

Your non stop racism against chinese and rushions is becoming unbearable for all my fellow subscribers to this forum, Its like you may one day say to a black american that "if you don't vote for me than you aint black"😃

One note on this Thailand vs other southeastern country issue is that you see the vlogers allways end up coming back to Thailand after their time in other countries.

If I am wrong please link the channel of the vlogger that left Thailand and never came back.

17 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

At least we are safe here in the land of smiles.🙂

In every country but Thailand???

It's almost impossible to have a normal conversation with you....

Oh 

My GF got hit by a drunk driver in Phuket and a 15yr old girl got killed 

The police gave the suspect my address and the police intimidated my GF so much that she had to flee Phuket for her safety......

Street wise, Thailand is very safe

But it's not without it's issues.....

4 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Only nonsensical to you pal I wonder why

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Makes sense yeah for sure.

Another question:

Why would you change what has been very successful for decades?

4 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Stupid statement.

You may or may not bump into Elvis Presley when you do your weekly shopping at Tesco, but that doesn’t make it a 50/50 probability.

A binary result does not equal even probability, but the daft unfortunates fail to get this of course.

18 hours ago, Sparrows said:

Makes sense yeah for sure.

Another question:

Why would you change what has been very successful for decades?

Well I'd say take Patong in Phuket for instance 

Back in the day it was all white guys there in the girly bars and those are dead now

Now predominantly Indian and Arab tourists 

I guess they saw that monger crowd dying down and went after a new demographic 

And I think with Covid and inflation, they made a concerted effort to go after countries that are closer geographically 

Even in Krabi

My hotel had to be 80% Indian

If I am being honest 

The new democrats are not my favorite fellow tourists but they have a right as much as any of us, to visit