News Forum - Thailand’s iconic Maya Bay: From Hollywood glamour to environmental struggle

Thaiger

Maya Bay, nestled in Thailand’s Phang-Nga province, clinched third place in the world’s beaches, according to the Lonely Planet travel guide. Dubbed “a slip of a beach hidden by limestone cliffs,” Maya Bay skyrocketed to international fame when acclaimed director Danny Boyle handpicked it as the backdrop for his blockbuster hit The Beach, starring Leonardo … …

The story Thailand’s iconic Maya Bay: From Hollywood glamour to environmental struggle as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The primary cause for much of the erosion at major tourist sites such as Maya beach is lack of regulation and commercial GREED. Too late the banning of high speed crafts or jet skis, or the hoards of uneducated tourists, all contributing to upsetting a delicate balance in nature.  Thailand should have learned the lessons of similar environmental disasters in the Americas, the African continent , and the rest of the world in general.  The greatest treasure of any country is not its people, but the environment. Humans are a destructive force due to ignorance and greed.

1 minute ago, BJoe said:

The primary cause for much of the erosion at major tourist sites such as Maya beach is lack of regulation and commercial GREED. Too late the banning of high speed crafts or jet skis, or the hoards of uneducated tourists, all contributing to upsetting a delicate balance in nature.  Thailand should have learned the lessons of similar environmental disasters in the Americas, the African continent , and the rest of the world in general.  The greatest treasure of any country is not its people, but the environment. Humans are a destructive force due to ignorance and greed.

I regret writing this comment, mainly because it was poorly written and worded.  But the sentiment is still valid 

18 hours ago, BJoe said:

Not that I disagree with you at all

But what would you suggest they do?

Limit it to just a certain # every day?

And a small # at that?

I don't find Maya Bay appealing at all because it's just a ton of tourists 

So takes away the natural setting

I 1st went to Maya Bay about 20yrs ago

I rented a private speedboat and it was crowded like it is today

We didn’t go very far into the bay

Just stayed on the outside of it and that was enough to appreciate the beauty of it

23 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Not that I disagree with you at all

But what would you suggest they do?

Limit it to just a certain # every day?

And a small # at that?

I don't find Maya Bay appealing at all because it's just a ton of tourists 

So takes away the natural setting

I 1st went to Maya Bay about 20yrs ago

I rented a private speedboat and it was crowded like it is today

We didn’t go very far into the bay

Just stayed on the outside of it and that was enough to appreciate the beauty of it

The local authorities need to limit access on a permit basis.   If you want to check out the White Rim trail in Utah, you need a permit in advance.   The same goes for climbing Mt Whitney. 

The parks are being overrun and the Instagram selfie crowd is making it worse. 

15 minutes ago, TedG said:

The local authorities need to limit access on a permit basis.   If you want to check out the White Rim trail in Utah, you need a permit in advance.   The same goes for climbing Mt Whitney. 

The parks are being overrun and the Instagram selfie crowd is making it worse. 

Yes absolutely social media really is the cause for so many tourist attractions being overrun 

We were in Banff/Lake Louise this summer and there is a famous picturesque lake outside The Fairmount Lake Louise

It was absolutely overrun where you couldn't even drive up to the hotel anymore 

We stayed there 12 years ago and it was just a normal hotel in a beautiful setting