News Forum - Scottish woman’s cliff plunge in Thailand sparks insurance debacle: Scot left hanging

Thaiger

An insurance company left a Scottish woman hanging after they refused to pay out after she plunged almost 20 metres to her death off a cliff on Ko Lanta island in West Thailand. Glasgow-born NHS nurse Kerry Hughes almost fell to her death after renting a scooter on the West Thailand island. Despite the swift … …

The story Scottish woman’s cliff plunge in Thailand sparks insurance debacle: Scot left hanging as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

18 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

An insurance company left a Scottish woman hanging after they refused to pay out after she plunged almost 20 metres to her death off a cliff on Ko Lanta island in West Thailand

That’s incredible bad luck. First the insurance company refuses to pay out and then she is reincarnated as a Scottish woman…

• Haha 3

Very likely NEVER been on a moped in her life, but (like most tourists) just thought 'Hey i'm on holiday I'll just get on this motorised vehicle with zero experience (or insurance cover), what could go wrong?'

No sympathy for her tbh .. & she uses crowd fund money to fly business class home? That was likely to be £5K! Pay £80 & get an extra legroom seat & use the other money gifted to you to pay your medical bills, maybe? 

• Like 5

Yeah, it is the faukt of the nsurance.

I bet, she does not even have a license.

But it is not her fault, we have to understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Typical behavior for travel insurance companies. They take you money bu the minute you make a claim it is denied!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Did she check her  insurance about bike engine size.Scooters are classed as 150 or 160 now.Did she have a valid uk bike license and international one.How did she fall as well.Insurance check these things out before paying out,125 is the engine size if u have a bike and international license.So if no pay out these are probadly the reason.Next stop is the begging bowl go fund me which  they used and hope people feel sorry for her.Check the fine details and have a bike license all will be good then

8 hours ago, RedBlue said:

Typical behavior for travel insurance companies. They take you money bu the minute you make a claim it is denied!

Travel insurance is a contract. The insurer pays based  upon what is covered by the contract. Why would you expect the insurer to pay for something not insured?

• Like 3

On 2/5/2024 at 9:07 AM, RedBlue said:

Just gotta read the terms and conditions most travel insurance policies do not cover riding motorcycles. It is her own stupid fault for not checking. I would guess anyway that she does not have a full motorcycle in her home country which would have meant she was riding illegally in Thailand anyway and therefore would not have been cover by her insurance.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How would they have left her hanging if she had plunged to her death?

"An insurance company left a Scottish woman hanging after they refused to pay out after she plunged almost 20 metres to her death off a cliff on Ko Lanta island in West Thailand."

Posted (edited)

Typical...  And I'm sure she never ride a scooter before... When people will learn here in Thailand the smallest scooter you can rent is usually 110cc.. it means you need a proper motorbike license to be able to ride legally... I'm sure her GoFundMe will pop up soon (if not already done) and will begging for support... And many clueless people will support and blame the insurance company.. 

I can't feel any sorry for her...

"If the duck cannot swim, it`s not the water who is stupid."

Edited by justStevee
Misspelled word

On 2/5/2024 at 4:07 PM, RedBlue said:

I guess you don't have too much knowledge about insurance policies isn't? She rode a scooter which wasn't covered in her insurance. End of story.

Just because she is too lazy to read the details and check the scooter engine size  not the insurance company is the bad guy...  Her own fault... But no worries few crying words in social media, GoFundMe page and ahe even will make extra money on this... 

If your insurance excludes the riding of motor cycles - which many do then to suggest you thought a scooter wasn’t a form of motor cycle is worryingly naive. I am always saddened to see so many people renting bikes who could otherwise easily afford to rent a small car. The relatively small price difference pales into insignificance when compared to the injury and cost associated with even the most trivial of accidents. There isn’t a week that goes by when we don’t read of another life changing event.

• Like 1

I' m curious to know insurance company' s name. I' d like to read thier policy. Anybody know that particular company ( un- named in article?)