News Forum - Steve Galster roars: Let’s trade wildlife for a pandemic-free world

Thaiger

Steve Galster, the founder and CEO of the anti-trafficking organisation Freeland, has advocated for the complete eradication of illegal and legal wildlife trade to avert the possibility of the next pandemic. He highlighted that Thailand, with its superior infrastructure, has been a longstanding hub for such activities, facilitating the movement of wildlife trade from source … …

The story Steve Galster roars: Let’s trade wildlife for a pandemic-free world as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I posted the FULL story below as featured on the Thaiger, as it will likely trigger an interesting discussion.

= = =  

Steve Galster, the founder and CEO of the anti-trafficking organisation Freeland, has advocated for the complete eradication of illegal and legal wildlife trade to avert the possibility of the next pandemic. He highlighted that Thailand, with its superior infrastructure, has been a longstanding hub for such activities, facilitating the movement of wildlife trade from source countries like Africa and Indonesia to markets such as China.

Animals like pangolins, once common in Thailand, are now caught in Indonesia and smuggled across the border with Malaysia and Myanmar. Dead pangolins or their scales, highly valued in Chinese medicine, are also shipped from Africa. However, the list of trafficked wildlife trade is not limited to pangolins, Galster explained.

“We’ve got tiger skins, and bones in particular. We’ve got other big cats, leopards. We’ve got lion carcasses being trafficked over from southern Africa. We have wild birds being shipped in from Brazil.”

The consequences of wildlife trade trafficking are threefold. Firstly, the animals suffer immensely during the transportation process. Secondly, many of these trafficked species are endangered, with some on the brink of extinction. The UN reports that approximately 100 species of plants and animals go extinct daily, and one million are teetering on the brink of extinction. While habitat loss due to farming expansion is the primary cause, smuggling is another significant factor.

Lastly, the threat to human survival cannot be undermined, with the potential of a more deadly pandemic being sparked by zoonotic transmission. Galster pointed out that scientists believe the Covid-19 outbreak was probably triggered by a virus transmitted from raccoon dogs in a commercial market in Wuhan.

“Now, those raccoon dogs would have been commercially traded. You can find raccoon dogs in Chatuchak market today. So we should be concerned about all of this.”

The 61 year old Galster strongly believes that a ban on commercial wildlife trade is the way forward as the benefits of such trade are enjoyed by a minuscule percentage of the population, whereas the risks are borne by a vast number of people and animals.

= = =

• Like 1

Although I support his plea for the complete eradication of illegal and legal wildlife trade, his argument that this would curb the potential of a more deadly pandemic being sparked by zoonotic transmission, is very debatable.  

I for one don't buy the claim that it was the Wuhan wet market that triggered the covid-pandemic. But if that psy-op would also get the pandemic hypochondriacs on board to fight illegal wildlife trade and regulate the legal one, that would be one of the rare Bonuses of this whole Pandemic-sham.

• Like 4

Absolute tripe in a waste bucket. This Steve Glalster guy should stop 'roaring' and get a grip on reality.

Apart from a tiny minority, who don't want to see the end of animal trading and cruelty, 'cause they are making dosh from it. I'm with him on that obvious point. But not his last;;;;;

Dear me.

''''Lastly, the threat to human survival cannot be undermined, with the potential of a more deadly pandemic being sparked by zoonotic transmission. Galster pointed out that scientists believe the Covid-19 outbreak was probably triggered by a virus transmitted from raccoon dogs in a commercial market in Wuhan.'''

IMO, absolute nonsense. There is no threat to human survival from animals what so ever; unless some species morphed into a fierce cross between T-Rex and a cat, and started gobbling us up. Maybe that's the real pursuit of 'gain-of-function' in the labs.

The threats to our survival come from us. More specifically; 'white coats', and the nut jobs hidden in the shadows, who want control us and accumulate even more power.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sticky said:

IMO, absolute nonsense. There is no threat to human survival from animals what so ever

Really? the AIDS virus jumped from chimpanzees (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus) to humans (Human Immunodeficiency Virus). 

We all welcome attempts to restrict the illegal wildlfe trade, but one has to wonder whether increased funding might just be the real motive here. The link between  wildlife and the recent pandemic seems a bit tenuous to me. To be frank, I find experimentation on viruses in labs, especially gain of function research, combined with human fallibility, a lot more scary than anything that can occur naturally by interaction between humans and wildlife.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fanta said:

Really? the AIDS virus jumped from chimpanzees (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus) to humans (Human Immunodeficiency Virus). 

Not in my opinion Fanta.

Bit of a strange one is AIDS. I don't think it was even a disease.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sticky said:

Absolute tripe in a waste bucket. This Steve Glalster guy should stop 'roaring' and get a grip on reality.

He's just another NGO boss panhandling for funds in a tight market. He has to keep making a noise, because, as the saying goes, it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

Although I support his plea for the complete eradication of illegal and legal wildlife trade, his argument that this would curb the potential of a more deadly pandemic being sparked by zoonotic transmission, is very debatable.  

I for one don't buy the claim that it was the Wuhan wet market that triggered the covid-pandemic. But if that psy-op would also get the pandemic hypochondriacs on board to fight illegal wildlife trade and regulate the legal one, that would be one of the rare Bonuses of this whole Pandemic-sham.

Indeed.

That was a narrative invented by the COVID fraudsters - animal transmission.

Been well documented that COVID [and other covered up nasties] was clearly human invented in a lab.

• Confused 1

.....remember what species creates most [if not all] of the problems on the earth.

Using/blaming other creatures as to our failings and misgivings.

Where's David Attenborough to set us straight.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fanta said:

There are those who claim that there is no such thing as a virus, so this can't be correct. 🤣

For the rest of us, with functioning credibility filters, you are correct - HIV appears to have crossed over into humans in a similar way, some time early in the 20th century, through the consumption of primates as "bush meat".

6 hours ago, QECE said:

Indeed.

Been well documented that COVID [and other covered up nasties] was clearly human invented in a lab.

Did you get that from the lizard people?  You shouldn't trust them,  their aim is world domination.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grumpish said:

There are those who claim that there is no such thing as a virus, so this can't be correct. 🤣

For the rest of us, with functioning credibility filters, you are correct - HIV appears to have crossed over into humans in a similar way, some time early in the 20th century, through the consumption of primates as "bush meat".

HIV never crossed over anything, even the road, to go to the 'bush meat' shop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, QECE said:

First line I sort of agree with.

The second line I don't.

I don't believe 'covid' was invented/developed in any lab. Although I do believe that all these labs scattered all over, are up to no good. Their aims, as far as I can see, is to try to get poisons/toxins to be transmissible. Very difficult thing to do.