Advice Please on Extension of Stay on my TYPE O Non Immigrant VISA

Simonjaturat

I am looking for some advice and help as the websites are a little confusing to me. This is my first visit with my Type O NI Visa issued for a 90 day stay. I am a UK citizen married to  Thai woman for 14 years. We have always worked abroad but last year Covid we had to return to UK. My wife returned to Thailand last September and I managed to get a TYPE O VISA issued in May this year together with COE document for entry from Thai Consulate in London.

I arrived in Thailand on 7 June and completed quarantine. My VISA 90 day stay is complete on September 4th. I wish to get an extension to this of maybe another 90 days before return to UK. There seem many options and I am not sure if we need to go to Immigration office or can do online?

We are both 60. Does anyone have advice on how to apply for a simple 90 day extension with the current VISA.

Thank you

Simon

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately there is no 90 day extension available from a Non Imm O Visa entry.
You can extend your stay for 60 days to visit Thai Spouse at your local Immigration office. 1,900 BHT provided you married in Thailand or registered a foreign marriage in Thailand.

You may be able to apply for a 60 day Covid extension after your 60 day Spouse extension, if they are still available for December.

Alternatively you could apply for a 1 year extension based on Thai Spouse, but would need to deposit 400K THB in a Thai bank account in your sole name 2 months prior to the date of submitting your application.  A re-entry permit would allow you to leave and re-enter Thailand at a later date and permit you to stay until the expiry date of the 1 year extension.

• Like 2

Thank you for the welcome Faz and for the reply and information contained.

We were married with a full ceremony in Sing Buri where my wife's family were from but my wife has ID and house registered in Bang Lamung Pattaya where she worked for 15 years.

We are staying in Sing Buri the family house now given Covid situation in Chon Buri. I would think that by 'local' it would be Pattaya as ID etc, although they have a small Immigration dept. here in Sing Buri I believe?

Thank you again for you advice and assistance.

Kind Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

You have to apply for any type of extension at the Immigration office where you are registered as residing.
If your in Sing Buri, Lopburi will be your local Immigration office.

Did you give your wife's family address as your next place of residence when leaving quarantine and has anyone filed a TM30 at Lopburi Immigration? A TM30 is required by law under section 38 of the Immigration Act to report a foreigners place of residence.
Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) ENG.pdf

It's not a problem that your wife's Tabien Baan and ID relates to a different address than where you are staying. You can use the family members Tabien Baan and ID in Sing Buri as proof of your current residence.

You can download both the TM30 form and the TM7 form for an extension application here;
Immigration application forms for download. - Immigration - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

If you need further advice, please ask. I can go through the procedures step by step and what documents you'll require.
It was a first for all of us in the past.

• Like 1

thank you so much for the advice. I will discuss tomorrow with family and get back to you with any questions.

You are most knowledgeable in all these matters. You are very kind and thoughtful.

Will be in touch

Kind Regards

Simon 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simonjaturat said:

We were married with a full ceremony in Sing Buri where my wife's family were from but my wife has ID and house registered in Bang Lamung Pattaya where she worked for s15 years.

Hi Simon, just to ensure that there is no misunderstanding from your part.  Immigration ONLY accepts an official Marriage Certificate as evidence that you are legally married to your Thai wife.  A village ceremony will not be accepted if you cannot show the official Marriage Certificate or the marriage statement certificate, which can be obtained at any local Amphur for approx 50 THB as every Amphur in Thailand has access to the Marriage Database system.

1 minute ago, BlueSphinx said:

Hi Simon, just to ensure that there is no misunderstanding from your part.  Immigration ONLY accepts an official Marriage Certificate as evidence that you are legally married to your Thai wife.  A village ceremony will not be accepted if you cannot show the official Marriage Certificate or the marriage statement certificate, which can be obtained at any local Amphur for approx 50 THB as every Amphur in Thailand has access to the Marriage Database system.

just to add to that most immigration offices are now wanting a stamped Kor Ror 2 from the Amphur no older then 7 days prior to application for extension based on marriage, well that is the time specified in Udon anyway.

33 minutes ago, gummy said:

just to add to that most immigration offices are now wanting a stamped Kor Ror 2 from the Amphur no older then 7 days prior to application for extension based on marriage, well that is the time specified in Udon anyway.

Ah yes.  The Kor Ror 2.

I committed the crime of marrying my wife outside Thailand.  To issue a Kor Ror 2 our Amphur required that we produce:

1.  Certification of the marriage certificate in the country where we married by some government department that exists solely for the purpose of producing documents for countries that love pointless paperwork such as Thailand.  Other countries who want this sort of BS are in Africa and South America.   I cannot remember the name of the department but they stamp the copy document up the wazoo and return it with a letter with fancy crests in colour.

2.  Certification of the marriage certificate by the Thai Embassy in the country where you married.  Step 1 is a prerequisite for this.

3.  Certification of the marriage certificate by the MFA in Bangkok.  Both parties to the marriage are required to attend in person.  Have fun getting there with covid travel restrictions and then queue up with hundreds of other people who could be a threat to your life.

4.  Both parties to the marriage attend the Amphur with independent witnesses to its validity (family members and neighbours excluded).  Ah yes, the Amphur, our local covid hot spot.

By contrast if you applied for a Nom Imm O visa outside Thailand they looked at the marriage certificate for typically about 2 seconds, gave it back, and then they granted the damn visa.

It may surprise some people, mostly the ones who say 'remember you're a guest here', but I chose not to go through this insane process.  Yet here I am.

What you describe is the correct procedure for authenticating and legalising a foreign marriage certificate to be legally accepted  Thailand. By the way if your registered a foreign marriage you receive a Kor Ror 22, denoting a foreign registered marriage. The Kor Ror 2 is only issued to those who married in Thailand.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Changnam43 said:

Ah yes.  The Kor Ror 2.

I committed the crime of marrying my wife outside Thailand.  To issue a Kor Ror 2 our Amphur required that we produce:

1.  Certification of the marriage certificate in the country where we married by some government department that exists solely for the purpose of producing documents for countries that love pointless paperwork such as Thailand.  Other countries who want this sort of BS are in Africa and South America.   I cannot remember the name of the department but they stamp the copy document up the wazoo and return it with a letter with fancy crests in colour.

2.  Certification of the marriage certificate by the Thai Embassy in the country where you married.  Step 1 is a prerequisite for this.

3.  Certification of the marriage certificate by the MFA in Bangkok.  Both parties to the marriage are required to attend in person.  Have fun getting there with covid travel restrictions and then queue up with hundreds of other people who could be a threat to your life.

4.  Both parties to the marriage attend the Amphur with independent witnesses to its validity (family members and neighbours excluded).  Ah yes, the Amphur, our local covid hot spot.

By contrast if you applied for a Nom Imm O visa outside Thailand they looked at the marriage certificate for typically about 2 seconds, gave it back, and then they granted the damn visa.

It may surprise some people, mostly the ones who say 'remember you're a guest here', but I chose not to go through this insane process.  Yet here I am.

Good you got there there in the end though

Thank you to all for the information,

Just too clarify

We have a Marriage certificate from the local Amphur. Are you guys saying that i need to have a 'Kor Ror 2 (what is that actually?) as well as the original certificate of marriage as issued by same office?

Thank you for the link to download forms. I was not aware of the TM30. Prior to being issued a COE in May from the Thai Embassy in London I had to advise on the forms 2 places of possible residence. As you say a primary and secondary. Our secondary was Sing Buri family. I am correct in saying that i should have completed that Form and submitted after leaving Pattaya early July?

We will call at the local Immigration office in Sing Buri and check if it is Lop Buri we should be dealing with.

Finally am i correct in saying that the application for extension is 15 days prior to the final day of your VISA date as listed with the Kor Ror 2 (if required) issued 7 days before?

Then get flights changed!!!

Thank you all guys - much appreciate all feedback

1 hour ago, Simonjaturat said:

Are you guys saying that i need to have a 'Kor Ror 2 (what is that actually?) as well as the original certificate of marriage as issued by same office?

From my understanding can be any Amphur not just the one you registered at. Last year we got it from a different one more near our house..

4 hours ago, Simonjaturat said:

Thank you to all for the information,

Just too clarify

We have a Marriage certificate from the local Amphur. Are you guys saying that i need to have a 'Kor Ror 2 (what is that actually?) as well as the original certificate of marriage as issued by same office?

Thank you for the link to download forms. I was not aware of the TM30. Prior to being issued a COE in May from the Thai Embassy in London I had to advise on the forms 2 places of possible residence. As you say a primary and secondary. Our secondary was Sing Buri family. I am correct in saying that i should have completed that Form and submitted after leaving Pattaya early July?

We will call at the local Immigration office in Sing Buri and check if it is Lop Buri we should be dealing with.

Finally am i correct in saying that the application for extension is 15 days prior to the final day of your VISA date as listed with the Kor Ror 2 (if required) issued 7 days before?

Then get flights changed!!!

Thank you all guys - much appreciate all feedback

Hi Simon,

When you originally married you should have received a certificate of marriage (Kor Ror 3) and a registration of the marriage (Kor Ror 2). Whenever you apply for an extension based on marriage, the wife must attend and you need to request an updated Kor Ror 2 from any Amphoe. (20 BHT)
The updated Kor Ror 2 is simply proof that since you married there is no record of divorce on their database, therefore as far as the Amphoe is concerned you are still legally married.
Many offices want the Kor Ror 2 dated the same day as the application.

Re the TM30 form. In line with the Immigration Act section 38;
Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

As you haven't already filed the above, download the TM30 form and complete.
If you have a local Immigration office in Sing Buri that is where you should file everything.
Take the completed TM30 form along with your Passport and copies of:
Passport ID/Photo page.
Non O Visa.
Entry stamp.
TM6 Departure card (both sides).
Signed copy of the Blue Tabien Baan where you are residing.
Signed copy of the ID card of the house master.
They may request a rental contract - explain this is a family home.

You have now officially registered your place of residence with Immigration and your personal details.
They will register these details in their database and set up a local account using your name. DOB and passport number for future reference. You can now submit requests for extensions and other services at that office. (Note, without having a TM30 filed they will refuse any services until you have complied with the law and possibly issue a fine). The TM30 should be filed within 24 hours of arrival at said property. If they ask, state you only arrived yesterday.

I would recommend you file for a 60 day extension 2 weeks before your current permission of stay expires.
Not the expiry date of your Visa, the expiry date on your entry stamp. ''Permitted to stay until .................''.
The validity of your Visa and the validity of your permission of stay are totally different.

I certainly wouldn't change flights as of yet.
You stated you currently had permission of stay until Sept 4th.
A 60 day extension will grant you further permission of stay until Nov 2nd.
It is quite possible you will then be able to apply for a 60 day Covid extension, which will allow you to stay beyond your intended departure date.

• Like 2

Thank you again Faz for the clear information.

I have the Kor Ror 2 certificate as you say! We shall obtain a new certified copy from the Amphur office here in Sing Buri.

I can provide all the information required for and with the completed TM 30 form - now downloaded thank you and enquire locally for file. (or possibly Lop Buri? i.e. does the TM have to be filed where i will apply for the extension of stay immigration office - i only mention as I am not sure but Sing Buri is quite small Immigration Office and maybe not able to sanction an extension of stay - therefore Lop Buri. 

One question please - I note on my forms for Covid Test and my quarantine hotel my address for stay in Thailand was listed as the address I gave in Pattaya. If i actually went there and stayed would I have to complete the TM30 form or is it only as I have moved address. I only ask as it maybe less of a headache to just drive to Pattaya on say 15 days before original departure date and request the 60 days there?

Thank you again and if i have any further queries I will ask if thats okay?

Kind Regards

Simon

I'm sure there is another forum for this subject - but which Bank is the least problem to open an account - bearing in mind i only have a Non Im VISA 90 days.

I tried a few years ago but Bangkok bank wanted guarantees from a local person etc?

Initially to deposit a sum for future Retirement Visa etc

Any advice would be great on who?

Kind Regards

Simon

9 minutes ago, Simonjaturat said:

I'm sure there is another forum for this subject - but which Bank is the least problem to open an account - bearing in mind i only have a Non Im VISA 90 days.

I tried a few years ago but Bangkok bank wanted guarantees from a local person etc?

Kind Regards

Simon

In my experience it is just pot luck and there is no consistency from one location to another.

As an example of this I have an account with SCB head office in Bangkok but the local SCB here in Nakhon Nowhere would not let me open an account despite sight of proof of my account at head office.

Following that refusal I opened an account here in the sticks with GSB without any difficulty.

I can provide all the information required for and with the completed TM 30 form - now downloaded thank you and enquire locally for file. (or possibly Lop Buri? i.e. does the TM have to be filed where i will apply for the extension of stay immigration office - i only mention as I am not sure but Sing Buri is quite small Immigration Office and maybe not able to sanction an extension of stay - therefore Lop Buri. 

The local office in Sing Buri will be a sub office to Lopburi.
They may only offer limited services, but you should be able to file your TM30 and 60 day extension there.
The only way to be sure, is to pay them a visit and ask. They'll advise if you need to go to the main office in Lopburi.

One question please - I note on my forms for Covid Test and my quarantine hotel my address for stay in Thailand was listed as the address I gave in Pattaya. If i actually went there and stayed would I have to complete the TM30 form or is it only as I have moved address. I only ask as it maybe less of a headache to just drive to Pattaya on say 15 days before original departure date and request the 60 days there?

Yes, you have to file a new TM30 if you change permanent address.
As it stands you haven't filed a TM30 in Pattaya or anywhere else.
Definitely file it in at the Immigration office where your actually residing.
If you drove to Pattaya to file it for your Pattaya address, you'd have to apply for your 60 day extension at Pattaya, unless you filed a new TM30 at Suri Buri. Just file it at Suri Buri in the first instance.

Under section 38 of the Immigration Act, it used to be that if you exited Thailand and re-entered you were required to file anew TM30. If you went for a holiday break to Phuket, the hotel would file a TM30, so on return to your normal place of residence you'd have to file another TM30 at you local Immigration office.

In June 2020, Immigration issued a new directive amending some of the requirements in section 38.
This now means if you take a short break from your registered residence, to have a local holiday break, or exit and re-enter Thailand, provided your returning to your existing registered address there is no further need to file a new TM30. A new TM30 now only needs filing if you change to a new more permanent place of residence. (Directive attached).

TM30 Reporting Regulation.pdf

Please do ask further questions, it must appear confusing.

• Like 1

Currently we don't have a separate forum for Banking - still a work in progress.

In years gone by it was simply a case of walking into almost any bank with your Passport and the wife/landlords Tabien Baan and ID card - but those days are gone and the banks have become stricter in their requirements to open a new account.
I would recommend Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn or TMB for many reasons. but I won't go into them here.
You need to initially request opening a Savings account, these offer internet banking and a debit card (same as a current account in the UK).

From personal experience having helped a few local foreigners open a bank account recently, the banks now request either a letter from your Embassy confirming Thai address, or a residence certificate issue by your Immigration office (you won't get one of those until you've filed a TM30), as well as the home owners Tabien Baan and ID card as proof of address
They also request a form of 'reference' to open an account. This could be from a member of banking staff or someone already having an established account with the bank.
Your Thai wife or family may be able to help in this respect if they have existing accounts with banks.

See Bangkok Bank requirements as an example:
2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).
https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

The other issue I find is junior staff are ill trained and their knowledge limited.
They may have never opened an account for a foreigner and don't know how to proceed. Asking another member of staff makes them look stupid, they are embarrassed and 'lose face'.
The 'no can do' answer usually means 'I don't know' in these situations.
Ask for a manager, stand your ground and hopefully convince your wife to stand her ground.
Perseverance often pays off.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Faz said:

The other issue I find is junior staff are ill trained and their knowledge limited.
They may have never opened an account for a foreigner and don't know how to proceed. Asking another member of staff makes them look stupid, they are embarrassed and 'lose face'.
The 'no can do' answer usually means 'I don't know' in these situations.
Ask for a manager, stand your ground and hopefully convince your wife to stand her ground.
Perseverance often pays off.

Truer words were never spoken.  

• Thanks 1

Kind Regards

Simon

Hi @Simonjaturat

Have a look at the following: Opening a Thai bank account for Immigration purposes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Simonjaturat said:

thank you Holy Cow - what is a Kor Ror 2?

thank you

Nothing big. Just a current up-to-date stamped printed marriage cert you get from an Amphur. Just shows them you are still currently married and not trying to pull the wool over their eyes. Easy to do and costs 20 baht I think. I have only just started the last few years to give them as an an extra as my renewal is based on family and not marriage. But the way things are going never knowing, just thought it is best to load them up with everything as they cannot question me on anything. 

There will always be stuff we need to know about or something new coming in etc. Hoop jumping.  

Thank you to all you guys for your help and advice on the VISA extension & the Bank situation, most appreciated for you time to reply.

Its great to know that there are so many of you out there. I'm a bit lost after 6 weeks or more now !

Kind Regards

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for so long to report back.

A few days after the above dialogue we visited Sing Buri Immigration. They have a new office just south of the town. They could not have been more helpful. They sat down with myself and went through the TM30 form and we filled out together. No questions - they just confirmed I had been in a Bangkok hotel for quarantine - noted my COE and current VISA together with the TM6. We also took my wife's mothers Blue Book and ID as our address

I received the documents there and then which noted my registration of stay in Sing Buri. They advised that at present they cannot grant a 90 day VISA but would give me a 60 day COVID extension and too come back 15 days before current expires.

They also said if i can open a bank account before seeing them again and deposit the 400,000bht they would grant me a 1 years stay commencing at the end of the Covid extension.

They were so helpful and understanding. Everybody wanted to know what England was like during lockdown etcetec. 

So thank you ALL for your help and advice. I wouldn't have gone or known where to begin without your help.

I hope you all keep safe and well.

Simon- 

• Like 3