News Forum - Phuket Airport taxi turmoil: Grab’s entry drives cabbies to complain

Thaiger

Phuket’s International Airport taxi drivers filed an official complaint about reduced income following the inclusion of Grab as an authorized service at the airport, effective from last Friday, September 1. The complaint was submitted by Chukiat Panyawai, President of Phuket Business Car Service Cooperative Limited, to Rewat Areerob, President of Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation (PPAO), … …

The story Phuket Airport taxi turmoil: Grab’s entry drives cabbies to complain as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It’s the same everywhere when Grab is given the green light to operate in a tourist area. I’m all for it.

Bali went through this process already, where taxi drivers hate Grab because it’s harder for them to price gouge. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Smiler said:

In other words the Grab company are not ripping customers off while the regular taxi drivers scam the customers right, left and center!

I've landed in Phuket Airport probably 75x

Never got scammed once

The prices are advertised 

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I've landed in Phuket Airport probably 75x

Never got scammed once

The prices are advertised 

I’ve landed there maybe 10x and same here, never been scammed either.

I’ve overpaid for taxi fares all ten of those times though, which is different to being scammed. 

The fares are fixed over the odds. Grab will put downward pressure on those juicy fixed fares.

It's their own fault for cheating tourists for so long. The 181 that complained are all guilty of that for sure. It's sad because there are some honest taxi drivers out there. But they all registered their taxis with grab also so win win for them.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:46 PM, BigHewer said:

I’ve landed there maybe 10x and same here, never been scammed either.

I’ve overpaid for taxi fares all ten of those times though, which is different to being scammed. 

The fares are fixed over the odds. Grab will put downward pressure on those juicy fixed fares.

That's part of the point.. prices as advertised. It's meant to be taxi meter. They don't get to negotiate a fair. It's illegal 

25 minutes ago, nuffy said:

It's their own fault for cheating tourists for so long. The 181 that complained are all guilty of that for sure. It's sad because there are some honest taxi drivers out there. But they all registered their taxis with grab also so win win for them.

Just because you find something too expensive, does not make it illegal and you aren't being scammed

37 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Just because you find something too expensive, does not make it illegal and you aren't being scammed

Taxi that pulls up on the side of the road is required by Thai law to use the meter. Anything negotiated during private time when they are not working is not the same 

46 minutes ago, nuffy said:

Taxi that pulls up on the side of the road is required by Thai law to use the meter. Anything negotiated during private time when they are not working is not the same 

But the thread is about Phuket Airport

There are no scams or cheating

I have been landing in HKT for 20 years, usually take the Taxi Limo desk service but have taken Taxi Meter as well

Never been scammed once

(The Taxi Limo used to stop at their travel agent and try to sell you stuff, I simply told them I didn't want the limo stopping and they never did again on subsequent trips)

You just don't like the price..............which is high compared to other places in Thailand, but it's not a scam, per se

• 2 months later...

Landed at Phuket Airport yesterday 

All kinds of options now and yes, affordable 

I decided to try the public bus for 100 baht

When you walk outside Gate 3 there are people there asking if you want the bus and will point you where to go

Unfortunately the bus was full. They offered for me to stand but I was hungover so passed.

I could have waited for the next one

But they suggested a taxi metre 

Again, plenty of people to point me in the right direction 

It was 420 baht to Kamala in about 42mins 

So at this point I don't know how anyone can still complain about transportation options at HKT

Plenty available at all different price points 

• Like 1

Cheaper option but they are not allowed on the airport is Bolt, it seems some people dont mind having to walk outside the airport to get a taxi, 

19 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Cheaper option but they are not allowed on the airport is Bolt, it seems some people dont mind having to walk outside the airport to get a taxi, 

Wouldn't be a far walk 

I wouldn't do it but if I were on a budget I would do the walk 

How much is Bolt?

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Wouldn't be a far walk 

I wouldn't do it but if I were on a budget I would do the walk 

How much is Bolt?

Lot less than Grab,