“Withhold Intubation” for certain older Thammasat Hospital patients

Thaiger

That something that makes sense is portrayed as a desperate measure says it all. So many people have missed out on treatment and diagnosis of potentially life threatening diseases because of the hyped up Covid threat which was prioritized over everything else. And what is the purpose of prolonging the suffering of people with advanced cancer ? I was reading about a woman in Germany suffering from a terminal cancer at the age of 61and how she was still being "tortured" with daily Covid tests and wearing masks, and how her son was not allowed near her. By the way, that's the same as mr Marc Rutte, the Dutch prime minister, did last year with his dying mother. Only he did it voluntarily. Hope he will get his comeuppance in the after life. And I am still puzzled that after over 17 months governments have still not been able to provide the necessary equipment and resources to cope with an increased and predicted Covid virus increase. I am sick and tired of hearing how Covid is decimating people all over the world. Just to put matters in perspective. The world population grew by app 161500000 people since 2019. The 4 million Covid deaths calculated with some very creative counting methods, and mostly elderly and sick people, sink into oblivion compared to that number.

15 hours ago, HuaHinHappy said:

What is stated  publicly and what will be done privately are two very different concepts. Unfortunately, IMO this will most likely be interpreted more broadly as was done elsewhere. This is healthcare rationing, which the Covid naysayers  obnoxiously proclaimed wasn't a concern because there were so many available hospital beds etc. I expect that we will see a great many "AIDs and metastasised incurable cancer" cases diagnosed within the next month.

That is really not how it is done. Perhaps, you are confusing DNRO (do not resuscitate orders) with health care rationing. 

Yes I have. This is not a  telly soap opera. Why would you expect a poetic vow from thousands of years ago to be appropriate for current circumstances? It was written at a time when it was normal to drill a hole in  a person's head to let a bad spirit escape or to give potions of dubious ingredients to women so that they may produce a male baby. Are you aware that;

1. The hippocratic oath has no legal standing.

2. Most medical professionals do not take a "hippocratic oath". The oath has not been used in many western countries for 30+ years. For example, it is not used in Australia.

3. Physicians are subject to licensing and this includes codes of conduct and ethical guidelines. These allow for healthcare rationing under crisis circumstances.

Hospitalised Covid patients tend to be critical care patients. This is why Covid presents such a problem to society. Yes, they monopolize healthcare and  deny  healthcare to others. However, to not give a patient the priority needed is unethical under the guidelines. 

One cannot expect to continue to receive services, but to then deny healthcare to those who risk their lives to provide the services. 

Under different circumstances, I agree that it would be acceptable to ration health care to the unvaccinated who chose to remain unvaccinated when given the opportunity to access a quality assured vaccine. We are not there.

To quote your own words in this thread since I don't want to be seen as abusive or argumentative, "such nonsense" and "you obviously know nothing".

15 hours ago, HuaHinHappy said:

Hospitalised Covid patients tend to be critical care patients.

On what planet? In what country?

Certainly not in Thailand, where that's completely incorrect.

16 hours ago, HuaHinHappy said:

In Thailand, if a patient has Covid, that patient is most likely to be poor and a service trade or food processor worker and/or under the age of 21.

Where on earth do you dream "such nonsense" (again, your words as I don't want to be argumentative) up from?

Many testing positive for Covid are, but the vast majority of those are asymptomatic or have only mild symptoms and they never become "a patient" and they're simply quarantined, not hospitalised.

This is, again, completely incorrect.

I'll leave the "condescending claptrap" (again, your words, etc) about the Hippocratic Oath to others to debate, if they can be bothered.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Well, if death is preferred vs being a vegetable for the rest of “life”, I wonder if the hospital staff pulling the plug feel “karma” will get them?  It’s too bad it takes covid to do what some wanted in the first place.  

Some here may not be aware that until relatively recently it was actually illegal in Thailand for hospital staff to pull the plug or withhold treatment for anyone in their care even if that was what the patient wanted in the first place.

The Thai National Act (Article 12, Part 1) had to be amended to allow it and to allow hospitals to accept Living Wills, which only happened on 20 March 2550 / 2007.

54 minutes ago, Donald said:

The 4 million Covid deaths calculated with some very creative counting methods, and mostly elderly and sick people, sink into oblivion compared to that number.

Their friends and families probably don't share your view.

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

Some here may not be aware that until relatively recently it was actually illegal in Thailand for hospital staff to pull the plug or withhold treatment for anyone in their care even if that was what the patient wanted in the first place.

The Thai National Act (Article 12, Part 1) had to be amended to allow it and to allow hospitals to accept Living Wills, which only happened on 20 March 2550 / 2007.

Sorry, that should be the Thai National Health Act.