News Forum - Forward march halted: Constitutional Court blocks MFP’s leadership ambitions

Thaiger

The Move Forward Party (MFP) and its leader today suffered a substantial setback in their aspirations to lead the country after the Thai Constitutional Court rejected a plea to reevaluate a Parliamentary verdict that obstructed the renomination of their prime ministerial candidate. This turn of events deals a fatal blow to any lingering hopes the … …

The story Forward march halted: Constitutional Court blocks MFP’s leadership ambitions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

As long as they continue to hold to their concerns of lese majeste, they will continue to lose out with the conservative element - both political and population. Of course, the strident youth and student bodies will see it as backing out of a political/election promise, but they would have been in a much better position if they said they would investigate lese majeste as part of a constitution audit, not necessarily to change it but to 'modernise it in keeping with current worldwide trends.

The old guard in parliament will not stand for change, but once they have a majority, what can stop them - especially wresting the Senate away from the generals?

• Like 2

The appeal of the MFP is that they are acting ethically and honestly, something that can't be allowed by those who don't act that way. And, by the way, if the old dinosaurs didn't latch onto the Lese Majeste, they would have found some other way to cheat. 

The logic is very simple; the old guard are cheating cheaters who cheat. 

They launch coups. They use "Independent" agencies. They render court "judgements' which are indefensible. They selectively use and/or leak information. They launch law suits and smear opponents. They use the organs of government for their own self-interest. They put their allies into sensitive positions and protect them when they do wrong. I could go on; anyone who lives here and reads a newspaper knows this.

The old guard are cheating cheaters who cheat.

In a Democracy, and in virtually any country that holds elections, the MFP and the PTP would have formed a government the day after the election with 311 seats out of 500 elected members of the Legislature. And, there is no way to know for sure, but I think if the election had lasted another two weeks, the MFP momentum would likely have given their party a majority on their own.

The Thai people want a more Democratic, less corrupt, more fair and more honest government; many Thais have fought and given their lives for that goal in the 70s, the 90s, the 2000's, the 2010s and now again in the 2020s, and nothing in this election makes me think that has changed.

The only consolation that I see this time is that the PTP has blown their credibility out of the water and after this, will never be a force again; they are exactly like the Democrat party for exactly the same reason.

It is MFP's honestly and integrity that makes them potent and electorally attractive. Now they need to add a bit of 'street fight' to stay alive and they will be rewarded sooner or later, and I think sooner.

Finally, the ironic thing is that the Court was correct in their judgement on Standing; Pita should have pressed the suit. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Go figure.

As I have said many times; in Thailand you have to take power, not expect to be given it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai Constitutional Court rejected a plea to reevaluate a Parliamentary verdict

I quickly red this as Paramilitary verdict and then had to do a double take. If you look, these well to do upstanding judges highly respected by all first were appointed starting in 2014 and onward. The age before the last constitution to retire and sit down was 70yrs of age, and now it is 75. You can look each one up, especially the leader and see that he was in fact a high member K n ight of the wh-ite ele-phant. Seems the sword they yield is sharp on onside and dull on the other. Going to be hard to change what is deeply embedded in the regime's system of keeping power. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

The appeal of the MFP is that they are acting ethically and honestly, something that can't be allowed by those who don't act that way. And, by the way, if the old dinosaurs didn't latch onto the Lese Majeste, they would have found some other way to cheat. 

The logic is very simple; the old guard are cheating cheaters who cheat. 

They launch coups. They use "Independent" agencies. They render court "judgements' which are indefensible. They selectively use and/or leak information. They launch law suits and smear opponents. They use the organs of government for their own self-interest. They put their allies into sensitive positions and protect them when they do wrong. I could go on; anyone who lives here and reads a newspaper knows this.

The old guard are cheating cheaters who cheat.

In a Democracy, and in virtually any country that holds elections, the MFP and the PTP would have formed a government the day after the election with 311 seats out of 500 elected members of the Legislature. And, there is no way to know for sure, but I think if the election had lasted another two weeks, the MFP momentum would likely have given their party a majority on their own.

The Thai people want a more Democratic, less corrupt, more fair and more honest government; many Thais have fought and given their lives for that goal in the 70s, the 90s, the 2000's, the 2010s and now again in the 2020s, and nothing in this election makes me think that has changed.

The only consolation that I see this time is that the PTP has blown their credibility out of the water and after this, will never be a force again; they are exactly like the Democrat party for exactly the same reason.

It is MFP's honestly and integrity that makes them potent and electorally attractive. Now they need to add a bit of 'street fight' to stay alive and they will be rewarded sooner or later, and I think sooner.

Finally, the ironic thing is that the Court was correct in their judgement on Standing; Pita should have pressed the suit. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. Go figure.

As I have said many times; in Thailand you have to take power, not expect to be given it.

If they are ever able to form government the first thing they should change is the voting system. Bring in a preferential voting system. A preferential voting system would have allowed MFP to govern in their own right, without having to water down any of the policies they went into the election with.

The corrupt royalist military dictatorship succeeded once more in blocking any form of Democracy in Thailand. The "Country of the Smile" remains a 'sick' country ruled by a few extremely rich, but most of all powerful narcissistic leaders. So 70 million Thai have no voice in determining their future and elections have no use at all!!
The Thai Constitutional Court is a joke. There is no legal justice anymore in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Khunmark said:

If they are ever able to form government the first thing they should change is the voting system. Bring in a preferential voting system. A preferential voting system would have allowed MFP to govern in their own right, without having to water down any of the policies they went into the election with.

But PT has just whored themselves out and is now laying in the same bed ready to have intimate relations with the devil regime whom everyone of their supporters is anti to. They should have now effectively cut their own heads off with their supporters from this dirty deed, and this is all the ploy to have Thasksin come back and get pardoned. But then again come next election, double the giveawy and people easily look the other way and forget. Stupidly under the table hand outs work for the brain dead.