3 months of lockdown needed to ease situation, says KKP research

Thaiger

New research by the Kiatnakin Phatra Bank estimates it will take 3 months of having quasi-lockdown measures in place to mitigate the situation. The KKP research says it will take longer to get the situation under control because of the Dela variant, the slow ordering of lockdowns, and the inertia of the mass vaccinations. The think tank says if a partial lockdown down continues for an extended period of time, the manufacturing and export sectors, which they say are the country’s hope of keeping the economy together, will be affected. Further, that if these measures continue to stay in place […]

The post 3 months of lockdown needed to ease situation, says KKP research appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well. I decided not to post here too many comments, because as a snowflake boomer I still have some integrity, and I grew up in netiquette that if I reply to someone, it should deserve a reply too. I'm not going to spend precious hours typing messages for deaf ears. 

Being said that, this one is caught my attention. A bank is giving medical advice? What's next? A Nobel laureate world-famous medical expert named Anutin will be the health minister here? 

....sorry I just got a phone call from NASA, they need my advice on the Mars landing. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

But don't forget,  Prayut is opening up Thailand In now 84 days ! 

Not true. They always mentioning this as opening up in 120 days. As a matter of fact, they are right. It's always 120 days from today. They are right as much as a broken clock. It shows the time correctly at least twice a day.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

But he knew his 120-days 'thing' was nothing more than a soundbite. The one commodity that his circus of a govt is capable of . . . soundbites . . . especially if there's a populist element to them - they really do fire him to do his apathetic/hypocritical 2-finger salute.

• Haha 2

The one key ingredient that will never happen is  "providing transparent communication to the public, imposing restrictive measures with an eye toward future plans, and improving the efficiency and efficacy of Covid screening, investigation and treatment."

They are hopelessly mired in the belief that the less the public actually knows the better, and we've seen their organizational abilities into screening, investigation and treatment leave much to be desired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Kiatnakin Phatra Bank

Besides, the reason you are not going to hear from me any longer is that I'm on a mission to find this bank called "Kiatnakin Phatra Bank". No expenses were spared until the truth prevailed. They have to be very common if they can have an influence on public health.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

25 minutes ago, BookShe said:

I'm on a mission to find this bank called "Kiatnakin Phatra Bank".

Yes, on checking, they're there on Google, with their 4 decades of ups-and-downs clearly captioned. How and why on earth did someone see fit to register any stock in KKP's appraisal of anything, least of all a life and national economy-threatening pandemic. 'Amazing, sad' are two words that barely describe this distraction from most people's current concerns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

Exactly. KKP research should stop spreading false information !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kiatnakin Phatra Bank are morons.

A "quasi-lockdown" is exactly what we had in the West and it was a disaster. The one thing we now know for sure is that you either have a proper, "come-out-of-your-house-and-get-shot" lockdown for two months or just don't bother.

As I have said from the start, we should be putting those who are actually vulnerable into secure, shielded accommodation - commandeer the hotels if necessary - and deliver them meals etc, while the rest of society gets on with their jobs, education, relationships, business, careers, travel, sports, life.

Simply let the virus rip through the non-vulnerable population until it burns itself out, then you let the vulnerable out and life is back to normal - no masks, hand gel, and paranoid social distancing for the next decade.

If we had done that in March 2020 we would have been done by the summer.

Instead, we played politics, unnecessarily scuppered our economies, destroyed a generation's education, ruined relationships, and slowly drove everyone insane.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A two week strict lockdown should knock the number of daily infections to just about zero. During the two weeks no new infections should occur if people are strictly observing the lockdown. And any infections prior to the lockdown will resolve within the two weeks (eg, the infected people either die or recover). Two weeks should do it but everyone has to strictly observe the lockdown.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

A two week strict lockdown should knock the number of daily infections to just about zero. During the two weeks no new infections should occur if people are strictly observing the lockdown. And any infections prior to the lockdown will resolve within the two weeks (eg, the infected people either die or recover). Two weeks should do it but everyone has to strictly observe the lockdown.

How do you enforce a strict two-week lockdown throughout Thailand?

Then, for the rest of the year, how do you prevent the continual massive flow of people back and forth over the 5,000 km of land borders that Thailand shares with Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia?

It is worth noting that other countries have already tried all the stuff that doesn't work. It would be a good idea for Thailand to skip that and consider ideas that might work.

Edited by SickBuffalo
  • Like 2

By the looks of it the Govt is letting sick people travel back to their provinces too!

It was so safe , until a month ago living up here in Sakon Nakhon, while watching the south get slammed !

84 days is a dream from a pipe ,420 ! 555

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

He only said that because of the central bank if they cannot open up it will collapse. Before they noticed they have not the money to open up not the government nir the populationvwith the highest household debt in the whole Asia. And you need a huge amount of money to restart and open the country as we could all see at the countries who restarting. Lockdowns they will use as the only option and to win time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

He only said that because of the central bank if they cannot open up it will collapse. Before they noticed they have not the money to open up not the government nir the populationvwith the highest household debt in the whole Asia. And you need a huge amount of money to restart and open the country as we could all see at the countries who restarting. Lockdowns they will use as the only option and to win time.

I suspect that like the last time,  the World Bank will step in. Then foreign creditors will demand payment leading to a flight of capital and a run on the THB, leaving the locals to repay the loan.

I've always had a feeling the World Bank is more about making money available so that creditors (other banks) can recover their money, than about helping the debtor nation.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JamieT said:

We've had some form of lockdown for 12 months and mask mandate for one and a half years....did that work?  Just saying.

JanmieT, can you just explain a little more what you mean by “work”? Your comments are often made but without any clarity of the lose term “work”. Can you define what you mean by “work” and then it can be more easily debated. 

For example. If by work you mean eradicate Covid, then no, it didn’t work and was never intended to work like that.  If however you look at how case numbers are rising and then what happens when you lockdown, those numbers peak and then fall, then they did work. That’s how they were supposed to work. 

The following is a graph showing U.K. case numbers over the past 18 months marked with an arrow to show where lockdown occurred. There is always a delay. You can’t lockdown on a Monday and expect case numbers to fall on Wednesday as I’m sure you appreciate. 

E96063B7-B247-4A38-8DD3-F577030424F2.jpeg

Edited by Soidog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I suspect that like the last time,  the World Bank will step in. Then foreign creditors will demand payment leading to a flight of capital and a run on the THB, leaving the locals to repay the loan.

I've always had a feeling the World Bank is more about making money available so that creditors (other banks) can recover their money, than about helping the debtor nation.

It was the imf who stepped in because Thailand was bankrupt and in this stage any country go the imf to get loans that the country can survive. It has nothing to do with the world bank. Any country who cannot pay back any more their debts and are bankrupt have the option to claim at the imf their bankruptcy at the imf. But sure they have conditions and programs. But thats the way at bankruptcy and the result of incompetence, corruption and missmanagement

I genuinely grieve for TH thinking about this. I just don't see how Thailand will ever get better with the constant failure to deal with endemic corruption.

I had a quick look to see what aid if any the EU sends to TH, and all I could find was €2.1 mill to aid with refugees plus donation through the WHO. By contrast, the EU sent Cambodia €20 mill a year for seven years from 2007-2013, and if you think the corruption is bad in TH, Cam makes them look like amateurs. 

Though it doesn't apply in this case, if I was standing for election some of the SEA countries that receive EU aid, I would be saying, "Don't send us money. Send us auditors so that we can find out what happened to all the money you sent us".

In case anyone should be interested, Hun Sen, a former high ranking member of the abominable Khmer Rouge has a reputed fortune of $300 mill USD, He attributes this to wise investments made from his $1100 a month salary. I seem to recall that the Marcos's made a similar claim to explain their wealth, though to be fair, Ferdinand was earning $1500 per month.

• Like 4

An awkward situation, regardless of its conflicting perspectives.

Next week's pronouncements from 'him upstairs' or anyone else wanting to make a noise, will no doubt effectively delete this KKP 'advice'.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stardust said:

It was the imf who stepped in because Thailand was bankrupt and in this stage any country go the imf to get loans that the country can survive. It has nothing to do with the world bank. Any country who cannot pay back any more their debts and are bankrupt have the option to claim at the imf their bankruptcy at the imf. But sure they have conditions and programs. But thats the way at bankruptcy and the result of incompetence, corruption and missmanagement

I think you are probably right about the IMF. Regardless, the foreign creditors dived straight into the trough and once those debts were settled, there was nothing left except a debt. I accept the concept of moral hazard and that these debts must be repaid but my view of what happened was that it was more a bailout for the creditors than for TH. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SickBuffalo said:

As I said from the start, we should be putting those who are actually vulnerable into secure, shielded accommodation - commandeer the hotels if necessary - and deliver them meals etc, while the rest of society gets on with their jobs, education, relationships, business, careers, travel, sports, life.

Do just a little bit of research, and you'd see that that's a third of the population you've said from the start we should be putting into secure, shielded accommodation.

You could commandeer all the hotel rooms in Thailand and you'd still be looking for somewhere to house over 95% of them!

• Haha 1